Amp / Cab combination beginner question

Hi folks,

until now I loaded the "appropriate" cab alongside the corresponding cab. I am mainly using Fender Bassman or Deluxe Verb. Now i found out I like the sound of the Dumble cab (cab preset 105) much better. And all of a sudden a whole new world seems to open up.

I always thought the best cab for a Fender Twin would be the "original". Or do you guys think there are maybe better IR's of the original speakers out there? Redwirez for instance: are there any reviews/comparisons/opinions?

Is that combination of a Fender amp with a Dumble or any other cab a weird thing to do? So far in my rehearsal room it sounds brilliant...

Best,
Laurentius

To quote Eddie Van Halen, "If it sounds good, it IS good". There really are no rules or "right answers". The right answer is whatever sounds good to your ears. The beauty of the Axe is the ability to pair up amps & cabs in any combination and tweak till you get your sound. Enjoy!

Use whatever sounds best to you.

In the real world Fenders sound great with EV-L speakers too, so the stock Rumble cab isn't far of the mark.

Cool, thanks guys!

Still, any opinion about cabs from companies like Redwirez? Are they worth the money? Or are the original presets benchmark?

Cool, thanks guys!

Still, any opinion about cabs from companies like Redwirez? Are they worth the money? Or are the original presets benchmark?

The RedWirez collection is really great.
But they aren't UltraRes and that's the road taken by the Axe-Fx.

FAS and OH and TAF sell UltraRes cab libraries.

I like to shoot for the sound in my head so I pick an amp load a cab and play a looped track while I change cabs until I get that sound(if some are close I make note and then revisit) like several others in this forum have said tweak with your ears not your eyes. doesn't matter to me the name of the cab. I do really like cab pack 6, 7, 8, and several of the new v3 own hammer Ir's, these ir's seem to be I hate to say HI-FI I guess that is because of the ultra res. the are several of these in the axe now with the firmware up dates.

Personally I love Redwirez. Great sounding IRs and at one time they were kicking around the idea of creating an UltraRes package for the Axe. I primarily use OwnHammer IRs lately though since they're great and able to be converted to UltraRes via CabLab.

I've had my Axe FX 2 XL for over 6 months & I'm still working through the amps & cabs in the unit & the end is nowhere in sight!

You guys obviously have to much time on your hands. ;)

One day i'll delve into the cab packs... Inshallah (As they say around these parts)

Back
Top Bottom