• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Amp Boost or Overdrive

jw3571

Inspired
Most amps, especially the Marshall have a boost switch. What's the difference between hitting the boost switch or putting an overdrive in front? Do most people use the boost switch or an overdrive when making presets? I've noticed when I hit the boost it brings in a lot more noise.

voes

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Most amps, especially the Marshall have a boost switch. What's the difference between hitting the boost switch or putting an overdrive in front? Do most people use the boost switch or an overdrive when making presets? I've noticed when I hit the boost it brings in a lot more noise.
IIRC, the boost switch is the same as a type-null filter with 12dB extra level. DRIVE blocks give you more control over the tone. I never use the boost switch.

simeon

Axe-Master
all the boost switch does is increase input level by 12db. you can do similar by increasing input trim, which will let you adjust the amount of boost. using a drive is a very different proposition...you can goose the amp input with the level control, but you also have drive, low cut, high cut and eq to further shape the tone. each drive sounds slightly different, too. the boost switch is like a sledgehammer whereas a drive block is more like a bag of tools.

Top Bottom