Wish Amp Blocks paired with original equipment Cab Blocks

The wishful feature is about the success of the user. The reason an amp or combo became well known, respected and revered is enough to support and present its original configuration, whenever possible. Ear fatigue, going blind stepping through screens and scrolling through vast WIKI pages distances me from my music and the joy of playing. I love music.

You just haven’t found your IR’s yet. You will though. I have 5-6 that I use and that’s it. That’s 4 more cabs than I used to have before going with FAS. It’s a good wish, as long as I can opt out. Don’t forget the speaker curve in the amp block. It has a sizable effect on your sound too.

Yeah... you're right. I've got two sounds going that are viable for gigging. I've been adjusting the speaker curve some, but need to get closer on the overall. I'll keep at it for sure! I will just have to lug my Soldano and Vox stuff around for a bit longer than I wanted to.
Thanks for tips!!

Not that it's terribly important, but the accelerator/brake metaphor illustrates the victory condition made possible by many improvements and wishes to make a thing (like the automobile) usable by all.
The history is sort of amazing there. The accelerator was lever on a panel, then on the steering wheel and the brake was hand lever on the left or the right, and so on. Finally, it came to pass as the successful design that drivers enjoy today. UX is an amazing field filled with all kinds of goodness. Sometimes wishes do come true. I'm glad that one did! :)

hat if the amp block automatically chooses the correct cab but you don’t like how it sounds?
Then you change it simple. but having a default cab type will help certainly. each amp already has a default sic anyway , so why not go one step further. viable to give a recommended cab list with each amp within axe edit where it auto chooses.
this is particularly helpful in exploring amp types one is not well versed with , to extract the sound the amp was intended for .

Then you change it simple. but having a default cab type will help certainly. each amp already has a default sic anyway , so why not go one step further. viable to give a recommended cab list with each amp within axe edit where it auto chooses.
this is
particularly helpful in exploring amp types one is not well versed with , to extract the sound the amp was intended for
Thanks jin1995x, your last point about 'exploring' is an added use case I hadn't thought of. It's an excellent point and sheds new light on the need for this feature.

I would think in the real world few people worry much about getting the matching factory cab?

I’ve been looking at the Marshall Sv20 vintage plexi style heads. They make a factory 2x12 vertical cabinet for it, but would I realistically buy that ? No, I’d much prefer a 70’s tall large check with some vintage GB’s.

Same thing if I was trying to find say a 80s JCM or whatever, would I want the match cabinet with v30s or g75’s or whatever they may have loaded it with ? Again no….. no a desirable style cabinet for me. I’d again with with a 70s large checkerboard with GB’s.

I’ve never once bought a head and the matching factory cabinet that I can recall. Have many people ?

I buy heads I like and pair them with cabinets I like, and/or already have.

I can only think most people do the same ?

As such, I can’t see how pairing an amp with a specific cabinet it was sold with is going to give the user some sort of tonal nirvana.

If anything, I think it could make people write off an otherwise great sounding amp because the cab it defaulted to sounds like hot garbage.

Same with a combo amp, if the stock speaker was crap and most people swapped it anyways, why default to something most people wouldn’t think sounds good right off the bat?

Get the virtual experience of taking out the factory speaker and virtually swapping it with something better ? Lol

Maybe I’m unique though, as I don’t care about keeping things vintage correct, I care about what sounds best to my ears

I don’t keep pickups in guitars I don’t like because that is how it came, nor speakers, nor tubes etc.

Don’t own a classic car but if I didn’t I wouldn’t care about keeping it all stock, I’d put the best go fast parts I can find in it.

I would think in the real world few people worry much about getting the matching factory cab?

I’ve been looking at the Marshall Sv20 vintage plexi style heads. They make a factory 2x12 vertical cabinet for it, but would I realistically buy that ? No, I’d much prefer a 70’s tall large check with some vintage GB’s.

Same thing if I was trying to find say a 80s JCM or whatever, would I want the match cabinet with v30s or g75’s or whatever they may have loaded it with ? Again no….. no a desirable style cabinet for me. I’d again with with a 70s large checkerboard with GB’s.

I’ve never once bought a head and the matching factory cabinet that I can recall. Have many people ?

I buy heads I like and pair them with cabinets I like, and/or already have.

I can only think most people do the same ?

As such, I can’t see how pairing an amp with a specific cabinet it was sold with is going to give the user some sort of tonal nirvana.

If anything, I think it could make people write off an otherwise great sounding amp because the cab it defaulted to sounds like hot garbage.

Same with a combo amp, if the stock speaker was crap and most people swapped it anyways, why default to something most people wouldn’t think sounds good right off the bat?

Get the virtual experience of taking out the factory speaker and virtually swapping it with something better ? Lol

Maybe I’m unique though, as I don’t care about keeping things vintage correct, I care about what sounds best to my ears

I don’t keep pickups in guitars I don’t like because that is how it came, nor speakers, nor tubes etc.

Don’t own a classic car but if I didn’t I wouldn’t care about keeping it all stock, I’d put the best go fast parts I can find in it.
I was just thinking of how many times I'll see some youtuber with a whole rack of amp heads behind them. Do you think they have cabs to go with each of those? No way, they have just a handful cabs and plug 'n play.

The goal is to make it easier to match an amp and a cab that goes with it in the real world (especially for combo amps). It doesn't necessarily need to be automatic like other modelers do, just easier. There are any number of ways this could be done, but a solution could be as simple as offering a button in the IR picker to filter the list of thousands of IR's to only show factory IR's for cabs that match the current amp.

The goal is to make it easier to match an amp and a cab that goes with it in the real world (especially for combo amps). It doesn't necessarily need to be automatic like other modelers do, just easier. There are any number of ways this could be done, but a solution could be as simple as offering a button in the IR picker to filter the list of thousands of IR's to only show factory IR's for cabs that match the current amp.
+1 - I would see the wish as a "recommended" cab / IC pairing, with the ability to turn off the recommendations. I bought an H+K head last summer without matching cab (like others, I've never bought the matching cab for the few amp heads I've owned). I'm happy with how is sounds through the cabs I already own, nonetheless, I tend to wonder what the matching cab sounds like since I respect the brand and know that they likely did some research on the cab design and speaker to align with their amp (sometimes even custom designing a specific matching speaker) - this can be good for those that may not know a lot about how to choose a cab on their own. Still not quite the same though as mentioned above, since mic / pre are added in iRs.

Last edited:
I just have a couple of cab blocks I always use, saved them in the library. They work with most amps. For me. Rarely I go deeper in search of a "matched" cab, but it's hardly ever an improvement.

I find it's an advantage to use a similar cab for most presets. More consistent tone to the House.

There's resources like the factory amp presets and AustinBuddy's presets that can be used to get up to speed fast. As mentioned there are quite a number of drawbacks to a paired block.

CLI interface? For the 3 people that speak CLI-ese? I don't.

Back
Top Bottom