Wish Amp Blocks paired with original equipment Cab Blocks

BigStubby

Need: Help users get an expected sound immediately.

Problem: A lot of navigation and time is needed to get a combo amp with its matching factory speaker or a common amp head with its matching speaker cabinet.

Feature: User selects an Amp Block and the matching Cab Block (factory cab type w/default raw speaker(s) and SM57 (on axis) added to the grid for them. When a match exists the user could receive a "Add original Cab? (Y/N)" prompt.

Design: Underlying amp model and cab model FA meta data could allow for amp/cab native bindings via lookup tables or FA defined mappings of amps-to-cabs. Native bindings could have one-to-many binding to enable OEM raw speaker and mic variations that directly apply to a particular amp.

Yes, this a common feature in amp modelers and a frequent request. The problem is the FM3 has a legacy tightly linked to the AxeFX where such user interface niceties run counter to its design philosophy. A significant percentage of AxeFX users would be perfectly happy with a Unix command line interface :).

Thanks for that GlennO... I'm unaware of the AxeFX legacy, I can imagine that hobbling a products future.
As avant-garde as guitar players can (and will) be it's safe to say there's a well known starting point from where tones come from. One of critical components of a great piece of gear is the user's success.
I've got to say that after a month with my new FM3 I'm unhappy about how long it took to create my first likable tone. Place an amp and then go hunting for a cab until ear fatigue sets in and then it starts all over again the next day,

Being a long time SDE and UX pro I see things from a design perspective. Features should unlock the power of device and make it usable. My FM3 is chocked full of barriers. Since I can hear what's possible I'll stick with it for now.
And who wouldn't welcome a --h (or even /h)? ;)

Hi Chris, I did see some other posts but not that one. I think I should repost to there. Thanks!

I can see it working to an extent for combo amps, but many amp heads don’t always have a matching factory cabinet, or often the factory cabinet may not be the ideal choice. So then what ? Pair it instead with a non factory, but more desirable vintage 4x12 GB loaded cab ? But then your getting into subjective opinion as to what someone thinks should go with the amp instead of what it originally may have came paired with right ? Are we then going for accurate initial sound default or “good” initial sound upon loading an amp ?

You're also missing the point that the IR is not just a cabinet, it's a cabinet combined with microphone and therefore microphone placement.

So if I choose (say) a JCM800, and it defaults to a cabinet - firstly, does that cabinet have V30s, greenbacks etc.? But then what mic is the 'default'? SM57, 121 etc.? Then where is the microphone placed?

If you play loud, and stand straight in front of the amp it will sound completely different to standing off to the side - so this is simply mirroring 'real world'

There is really is no sensible default, if some other modellers are doing that - well....

User Experience (UX) is why the accelerator pedal is always to the right of the brake pedal. Users have expectations of amps from decades of norms, like a Twin with a pair of Eminence 12 inch speakers. Sure, a Twin has shipped with JBLs at times but that defies the 80/20 rule in UX and is then considered an outlier (aka edge case). Same for Mics.
Similarly, once 80% of users and their needs are satisfied more can/may be done about resolving outliers that may have originally been deemed stretch goals.

In UX terms the workflow (resulting in steps the user would be presented with) is very straight ahead...

User selects an Amp Block and the matching Cab Block (factory cab type w/default raw speaker(s) and SM57 (on axis) is added to the grid for them. When a match exists the user could receive a "Add original Cab? (Y/N)" prompt.

If there are factory (OEM) options available (meaning FA has researched and mapped them) a list could be presented with the prompt (which can be messy) or the cab picker quick list (factory1, factory2, etc.) could be added to.

None of this stuff is magical, it's good UX :)
I do hope FA takes in interest in this, when users are even more successful great things happen to sales.

If we can agree that the factory option isn’t always, or often the “best” option, would it not be a better experience to have the amp pair with what most would find to be the “best” IR option with regards to mic(s), cab, speaker type etc ?

If the factory speaker was a crappy celestion 80 or something, would it really benefit the amp model to default to a poor speaker and an on axis 57 ?

What if it’s an amp where users often upgrade the speaker ? Does it not yield better first impression of that amp if it comes paired with what a majority feel improves the tone ?

Would be cool to have if optional and could be turned off if cab recommendations not preferred. I think it would also need to automatically set a compatible IC in the amp block for the cab selected.

The wishful feature is about the success of the user. The reason an amp or combo became well known, respected and revered is enough to support and present its original configuration, whenever possible. Ear fatigue, going blind stepping through screens and scrolling through vast WIKI pages distances me from my music and the joy of playing. I love music.

In UX terms the workflow (resulting in steps the user would be presented with) is very straight ahead...

User selects an Amp Block and When a match exists the user could receive a "Add original Cab? (Y/N)" prompt.
If the user answers Yes the matching Cab Block is added to the grid for them.
If the user answers No nothing additional happens, just like now.

If the user doesn't like the added cab block they simply delete or edit it, which is not a change to any current workflow.

Hello. I get where you're coming from, but for reasons stated above it's going to be problematic in the modeler world. IMO I think the excellent factory presets give you a pretty good head start for some classic tones.

Here's a great Leon Todd video to maybe help you with your selection process for cabs & IRs and to ease up on that fatigue:

User Experience (UX) is why the accelerator pedal is always to the right of the brake pedal.
There's a problem with the analogy. If the accelerator pedal and brake were reversed people would die. There is no such correlation with the amp+cab choice, instead, all that would happen is people might be uncomfortable and then change the selected cab.

There are an incredible number of amp heads of various brands used daily that are connected to Marshall, Mesa, and other brands' cabinets that are not associated with the amp company. And, how many of those cabinets still have the original speakers? And how many used the same microphone or mic position when recording them? People have their own favorites, but there's not going to be a consensus on what the perfect, or even majority choice should be unless there's a MASSIVE poll taken and even that most likely won't prove anything because there are too many variables in play and people have their own favorites.

This is one of those "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situations for Fractal; They've been there before and will probably be there again. The Block Library is available so that we can save our favorite values for later reuse once we've picked an Amp and a Cab. Yek's Amplifier models list in the Wiki, or his PDF is available if people want to know what cabinets are suggested for a particular amp. Yeah, it takes a couple of minutes to look things up, but it's a useful exercise.

Back
Top Bottom