Amp Blocks Bypassed after Update

TG3K

Fractal Fanatic
Ran into an issue last night that I've not seen before. I upgraded to FW 5.08 (from 5.05) a day or two after it was released, and used FracTool to batch update all the amp blocks on my personal presets. (I had also set FracTool to not change the basic tone, gain, and level settings.) Last night I finally went through the presets and found in about half of them, the amp block had been bypassed. I didn't see a pattern to indicate it was only on certain amp blocks; it seemed random. To add to the mystery, I could not un-bypass the amp blocks in Axe-Edit (running the most recent version) with either the Space bar on my keyboard or by double-clicking on the block. I could only do it by clicking the Bypass button on the bottom right corner of the Axe-Edit window.

I'm not sure if this was a FracTool issue, or something to do with the update. I just wanted to see if anyone else had seen a similar behavior where the Space bar or a double click would not un-bypass a block in Axe-Edit.

As a side note, I've decided that telling FracTool to ignore the tone and gain settings was not a good idea, since I'm still going to have to go through each preset to re-tweak things due to amp block changes/improvements.

Ran into an issue last night that I've not seen before. I upgraded to FW 5.08 (from 5.05) a day or two after it was released, and used FracTool to batch update all the amp blocks on my personal presets. (I had also set FracTool to not change the basic tone, gain, and level settings.) Last night I finally went through the presets and found in about half of them, the amp block had been bypassed. I didn't see a pattern to indicate it was only on certain amp blocks; it seemed random. To add to the mystery, I could not un-bypass the amp blocks in Axe-Edit (running the most recent version) with either the Space bar on my keyboard or by double-clicking on the block. I could only do it by clicking the Bypass button on the bottom right corner of the Axe-Edit window.

I'm not sure if this was a FracTool issue, or something to do with the update. I just wanted to see if anyone else had seen a similar behavior where the Space bar or a double click would not un-bypass a block in Axe-Edit.

As a side note, I've decided that telling FracTool to ignore the tone and gain settings was not a good idea, since I'm still going to have to go through each preset to re-tweak things due to amp block changes/improvements.
the Axe-Fx update wouldn't bypass all the blocks. it's not the update, or everyone would have had that issue.

personally, i didn't adjust anything in the amps from 5.05 to 5.08, so you might be putting in work you don't have to.

Not sure why you used FracTool. That's most certainly what caused the problem. You need to contact the producer of that software.

Update?
There's no need to update anything when going from 5.05 to 5.08...

Restore your 5.05 backup

I did the amp block update because I didn't do when I upgraded to 5.x. I was behind the times and figured this would be a good point to get caught back up. It may be a few days until I can, but when I get the time I'm going to try rolling back a version or two and see if I can replicate the problem. (I do tech support for a living, and know that tracking down a problem is tough if it can't be reproduced.)

I did the amp block update because I didn't do when I upgraded to 5.x. I was behind the times and figured this would be a good point to get caught back up. It may be a few days until I can, but when I get the time I'm going to try rolling back a version or two and see if I can replicate the problem. (I do tech support for a living, and know that tracking down a problem is tough if it can't be reproduced.)

It's clearly a FracTool problem, but i won't have any time to fix it for weeks...

Not sure why you used FracTool. That's most certainly what caused the problem. You need to contact the producer of that software.

Why? Fractools brings some functions that people are wanting but that are not available anywhere else. It's underrated? Without Fractool I guess I would never have bought the III since it converts between the generations.

@FractalAudio, I've investigated (finally) and found the culprit is the reset block functionality on the AxeFx III' side.
Here's why and how to reporduce, in AxeEdit (proving FracTool is not culprit) :
  • 1st bug : When resetting a block, its bypass mode is also reset : Set bp mode to MUTE in amp block, reset it, it's back to thru.
  • 2nd bug : bypass states are not conserved when resetting a block :
Let's say you have amp1 block bypassed on scene1 and engaged on every other scene. Reset the amp1 block, switch to scene2 then scene1 and the amp is engaged. Of course, all of these in AxeEdit, AxeFx III fw7 etc...

Thanks for your attention :)

@FractalAudio, I've investigated (finally) and found the culprit is the reset block functionality on the AxeFx III' side.
Here's why and how to reporduce, in AxeEdit (proving FracTool is not culprit) :
  • 1st bug : When resetting a block, its bypass mode is also reset : Set bp mode to MUTE in amp block, reset it, it's back to thru.
  • 2nd bug : bypass states are not conserved when resetting a block :
Let's say you have amp1 block bypassed on scene1 and engaged on every other scene. Reset the amp1 block, switch to scene2 then scene1 and the amp is engaged. Of course, all of these in AxeEdit, AxeFx III fw7 etc...

Thanks for your attention :)
Neither of those are bugs. Those are by design.

I ran into an issue on the last update with one preset that had 2 delays. axe edit would not allow me to turn off either delay - they were stuck on. any ideas?

"I ran into an issue on the last update with one preset that had 2 delays. axe edit would not allow me to turn off either delay - they were stuck on. any ideas?"

How about deleting, then re-adding, the delays?

Ok @austinbuddy , so no problem here

Thanks very much Al. I now understand Cliff says it is by design that the amp bypass state will always "reset" too Thru when the amp block is reset the normal way (not FracTool) -- that makes sense.

So others know, last Spring I had to go through 200 Naked Amps presets and as an added step had to check all 8 scenes in each (two amp blocks, for most all four ABCD amps used) to make sure that the way I had originally saved the amp bypass/mute state was correct after running FracTool for amp reset with new firmware.

FracTool had a parameter check for Bypass state to preserve it on a FracTool amp block reset -- so I thought the amp block bypass state by each scene (Thru/Mute) could be preserved, but we have now learned it does not (and why). But that function is not working the way I thought.

So let this be a warning to anyone trying to update Naked Amps presets using FracTool and reset amp blocks (locking in select parameters, including bypass status) between firmwares -- it's going to mess up (unintended) "some" existing scenes in the preset, as amps by scene go from bypass to mute and vice-versa --when using two amps in parallel (one block is always muted), it's now switch to Thru from Mute and going to pass signal from one amp that should be muted, but FracTool can't preserve that state on a reset.

You have to manually check all scenes then fix the ones that changed and re-save...takes a lot fo time (especially with 1400+ scenes to review!).

FracTool had a parameter check for Bypass state to preserve it on a FracTool amp block reset -- so I thought the amp block bypass state by each scene (Thru/Mute) could be preserved, but we have now learned it does not (and why). But that function is not working the way I thought.

FracTool has separate items for Bypass and Bypass Mode ("bp mode"). It sounds like you didn't select the bp mode item (unchecked by default) when resetting.

Bypass = bypass state, block engaged or bypassed

Bypass mode = block behavior when bypassed, thru or mute

Back
Top Bottom