Amp Block Speaker Settings for Real Cabs

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
I'm using a Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet and I love it. After reading some threads about the speaker settings in the amp block, I'd really like to try the actual parameters from my cab, at least as an "accurate" starting point (maybe I'd love it even more than I already do).

I'd assume that another Mesa 2x12 Recto cab would be technically different than mine, but still very very close?

Have any of you measured your cabs? Especially the Mesa 2x12 horizontal Recto? If so, what did you come up with and typically use in your speaker page?

Did you try the filter trick for the LF resonance? I didn't have much luck doing it but a lot of people seem to make it work

Filter trick?

"One way to find the SRF is to put a Filter block after the amp block. Set the type to Peaking, Q to 5 or so and Gain to 10 dB. Start with a Freq. of 50 Hz. Play some chugga-chugga and slowly adjust the Freq. until you hear and feel the cabinet resonate. Make a note of the frequency. Remove the filter block and set the amp block SRF to match. 4x12s typically have an SRF of between 80 and 120. Open back cabs are typically a bit lower."

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=AMP_block_parameters#SPKR_page

Oh yes. I did see that. I just don't necessarily trust my own ability to identify when the cabinet resonates. But I'll certainly give it a shot. :)

Thanks

Okay so I tried it by ear and that didn't work so well. Kind of. Googled some more and found this thread:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...major-score-for-a-brand-new-recto-cab.110299/

Used the frequency there (114) as a starting point in the filter method described above and found that I could tell a distinct difference in that general area. A bit of tweaking and it seems 119hz is where the resonance (which is what I think I'm hearing) is most pronounced.

I set LRF to 119 on the FAS Modern and it made a minor difference in tone (default wasn't all that far off). I plugged 119 into the Vibro King preset and it made a huge difference.

A bit more tweaking and I settled on

LRF: 119
LRQ: 3
LR: 5.8

Man what a huge difference. It already sounded awesome but I think it's much improved now. Looking back, I have serious suspicions that if I'd been a little more patient, the Matrix NL12s would've been just as awesome if I'd set those parameters better.

And now I need to figure out the high side. I think. Time for more research!

Back
Top Bottom