Amp Block " Input Trim " ..... need a hand with the Math's to Calculate -4db (?)

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all

Firstly, many thanks for the great info => here <= I'm now running all my presets perfectly at -6db Input .... just like when I used to only use the "Low" Input Jack on my DC 30 [ Ceriatone Clone ] for all my "real amp" tones - pre-going-all-digital .... thanks again ... :)

My Input Trim Math's question ?

All my Presets now have the Input Trim set to 0.5000 which drops the Input Trim by -6 db .

I want to also be able to have presets where I drop my Input Trim by only -4db [for my lower-output Lipstick pickup guitar] ..... so ..... what is the Input Trim Value to drop by -4db instead of -6db (?) ...... I know its greater than 0.5000 but I have no idea on how to work it out (?)

All help much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Ben

To translate Input Trim values to dB, use this formula: "20 * LOG10(trim value)". In other words: calculate the LOG10 result of the input trim value, and multiply this with 20. Use the LOG10 function on a scientific calculator. Examples:

• Input Trim at 0.500 = -6dB, because: 20*LOG10(0.5)
  • Input Trim at 4 = 12dB, because: 20*LOG10(4)

Wrong way. He want's -4 dB, not a Trim value of 4. That would be 10 ^ (-4 dB / 20) = 10 ^ -0.2 = 0.6309573... or about 0.631 for the trim setting like Hubertus said.

Thanks everyone - especially Hubertus and mr_fender :)

Busted out the Windows 11 Scientific Calculator and you guys are bang-on ..... the Input Trim value works out to 0.631 [rounded out].

Very much appreciated :)

Ben

Back
Top Bottom