amp block idea

clarky

Axe-Master
this isn't really a wish or anything like that.. just an idea I guess...

some folk drop a drive block in front of the amp just for a little boost
or to make the signal entering the amp block a little narrower [replicating the lo and hi cuts that boost pedals tend to do]

inserting a drive block to do this seems a bit CPU costly...
the amp block already has the input-trim that can provide the boost..

so I was wondering, to compliment this, could it be a good idea to add input hi-cut and input lo-cut controls to the amp???
this could achieve the boost pedal 'effect' without having to drop in a drive pedal to achieve it

iirc, I think I saw Cliff mentioning that he was looking for ways to optimise CPU
so I was wondering if this could be a little thing that could help in that direction

like I say... this is not a request of anything...
just wondering if anyone thinks something like this could help / be useful

this isn't really a wish or anything like that.. just an idea I guess...

some folk drop a drive block in front of the amp just for a little boost
or to make the signal entering the amp block a little narrower [replicating the lo and hi cuts that boost pedals tend to do]

inserting a drive block to do this seems a bit CPU costly...
the amp block already has the input-trim that can provide the boost..

so I was wondering, to compliment this, could it be a good idea to add input hi-cut and input lo-cut controls to the amp???
this could achieve the boost pedal 'effect' without having to drop in a drive pedal to achieve it

iirc, I think I saw Cliff mentioning that he was looking for ways to optimise CPU
so I was wondering if this could be a little thing that could help in that direction

Low and Hi cut is already there, it is in the advanced section

I you want more control a PEQ will do the same thing cpu cost is negligible

ahhh.. are these hi / low cut controls on the input or output??

ahh.. of course.. forgot about the PEQ.. just just a few % isn't it...

ok cool.. it was just a thought...

EDIT: just took a look.. they're power amp controls. so it's not quite the same as the trimming done by a boost pedal before the preamp gets it's mits on the signal
PEQ though is the solution that didn't occur to me...

ahhh.. are these hi / low cut controls on the input or output??

ahh.. of course.. forgot about the PEQ.. just just a few % isn't it...

ok cool.. it was just a thought...

Low cut is after trim at the input, hi cut is after the preamp sim.

just tried the PEQ option...

adding it = 1%.. so no biggie there..
whereas adding a drive = 10%

thought I may have had a bit of a brainwave for mo..
that was until you trumped it with the PEQ.. lol..

Were you satisfied/happy with the effect?

to be honest... I don't use it.... I don't place a drive pedal in front of the amp so this don't affect me...
but I was chatting with someone the other day [general guitary talk] and he was talking about boost pedals..
he likes the signal going into the amp being slightly "lower-fi" than jacking the guitar in directly
he says it can tighten the low end and soften the hi's before the preamp drive starts fizzing it all up..
[I reckon I should experiment with this a little to find out for myself]
so even if the boost pedal isn't actually boosting, he likes the general effect of a 'not true bypass' [if that makes sense]

and I know plenty of folk here that config the Axe to replicate the traditional pedal board-> amp setup..
so it occured to me that there may well be some of you that quite like using a boost to narrow the guitar's freq range prior to throwing it into an amp [just like my buddy]...

and likewise... in the interests of the greater furtherment of our beloved lil' black box..
I thought 'd mention it here.. cos 10% is a big CPU hit for such a basic task..

but like JJ pointed out.. the PEQ can achieve the same effect with a minimal CPU hit..

the only thing remaining would be to find out what PEQ 'Q' and 'gain' values should be applied to the hi and low shelf bands to replicate the EQ characteristics that are typical of a boost pedal...

jeez... and I don't even do any of this... lol..

That's a great idea Clarky and glad to hear of JJ's suggestion of the PEQ as a result. I've done this for years with pedals into real amps. As you mention, the trick is to know how to replicate the EQ and gain (in general, the sound) of some of these pedals I've used. One in particular is an early version Lovepedal COT 50- my desert island drive/boost pedal for most amps. Not sure what all is going on inside it to get the result it does, but I intend to mess with a PEQ and see how close I can get. I typically like to use a couple of drives in a preset, depending on the amp, and had no idea how much of a CPU hit that was. On my pedal board, I often have at least two compressors and 2-3 drives/boost into 1-2 amps. Trying to replicate this with a couple of presets using cleaner/low-gain amps.. good to know where the limitations might arise.
Thanks

i do this all the time - i use "scott's midrange boost" peq. works really well in front of marshalls and with a little tweaking sounds good in front of other amps too. just adjust to taste - tweak the low end cut to get the amount of thump you want and the level of the three mid range boosts. increase overall level if you need a bit of extra juice going into the amp. it's exactly like putting a TS in front of the amp with the gain set very low

Attachments

• Scott's Mid Boost.syx
    1.6 KB · Views: 8
Additionally, if you have not noticed there is a new drive clip type called NULL. With drive level at full (IIRC) this becomes a VERY transparent overdrive (use the level parameter to boost).
You still have all the tone controls for shaping things but no clipping just boost.

Additionally, if you have not noticed there is a new drive clip type called NULL. With drive level at full (IIRC) this becomes a VERY transparent overdrive (use the level parameter to boost).
You still have all the tone controls for shaping things but no clipping just boost.

Though I saw this, I didnt notice it in any release notes. When did this happen?

*Edit*
I searched the release notes and only found the two new drives, but it has been added to the WIKI.
:)

Last edited:

Very cool- thanks for the heads up on this...

Though I saw this, I didnt notice it in any release notes. When did this happen?

*Edit*
I searched the release notes and only found the two new drives, but it has been added to the WIKI.
:)
It happened with the addition of the sample rate. It wasn't in the release notes. I just stumbled on it.

Back
Top Bottom