Amp Block Discovery

On further checking, I see you can accomplish the same thing by setting the global I/O to "Left only." This puts the front input on both sides equally, and the amp block's input setting then does not matter.
Wait a minute, what is the Global I/O input setting? I thought it's "Left only." Am I wrong? This is very important to me!

Wait a minute, what is the Global I/O input setting? I thought it's "Left only." Am I wrong? This is very important to me!

"Input 1 select" in the I/O menu. Left, Stereo, Sum L+R are the options. If you're not using Input 1R for anything, choose "left" for the least potential hassle/noise.

Bakerman, I know, I've read TFM:
Audio Configuration
The next page of the I/O menu configures the inputs and main output of the Axe-Fx. Select the
desired mode for each of the inputs as follows:
LEFT - Use for monophonic input sources. For INPUT 1 use the front panel INSTR jack or the
rear panel INPUT1 - LEFT / MONO jack (set INPUT SOURCE as described above). For
INPUT 2 use the rear panel INPUT2 - LEFT / MONO jack. In this mode the left input signal
is copied to the right channel.
L+R SUM - Use when you wish to sum two sources using the LEFT and RIGHT input jacks.
STEREO - Select this if your input source is stereo.
I'm surprised here because it seems that other members have connected their instrument in different ways, not only through the LEFT. A couple of days I experienced Gain increase in my Ultra and I wander if I had run other Input selection different than the default for a Mono Instrument.

I'm surprised here because it seems that other members have connected their instrument in different ways, not only through the LEFT. A couple of days I experienced Gain increase in my Ultra and I wander if I had run other Input selection different than the default for a Mono Instrument.

Stereo in the I/O menu would produce a lower input level to a block that sums L & R (like drive, or amp w/ InSel = L+R). If you're not sure what it was set to before and it's "left" now, that could be the reason for the gain increase.

If you're not sure what it was set to before and it's "left" now, that could be the reason for the gain increase.
I've been thinking the same for the last couple of days. I'll have to go and check this out.

Several months ago I was a bit frustrated with the sound of the Axe-fx (after hearing my buddies Axe-fx)... I had the input (never having changed it since initial purchase) set to Left Only... and if I remember correctly I reset all parameters to default and it set it up to L+R... so maybe the defaults did changed on one of the updates.

On further checking, I see you can accomplish the same thing by setting the global I/O to "Left only." This puts the front input on both sides equally, and the amp block's input setting then does not matter.

At the risk of being chastised for claiming to hear "things that are not there" or "impossible", I'm hearing a subtle yet distinct difference when you switch the amp block to "Left Only" when the I/O is already set to left (my I/O has always being set that way). The tone sounds more solid and less spread out, but mainly it just sounds thicker, which is a welcome thing. Really liking the difference (this is on a high gain patch out active studio monitors).

Anyone else noticing this?

Last edited:
This subthread made me think of Donald Rumsfeld, and his comments about "known unknowns and the unknown unknowns."

Reminds me of the following learning model in psychology I once learnt, describing the stages of learning...

1.Unconscious Incompetence
The individual does not understand or know how to do something, does not recognize the deficit, and has no desire to address it.

2.Conscious Incompetence
Though the individual does not understand or know how to do something, he or she does recognize the deficit, without yet addressing it.

3.Conscious Competence
The individual understands or knows how to do something. However, demonstrating the skill or knowledge requires a great deal of consciousness or concentration.

4.Unconscious Competence
The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it has become "second nature" and can be performed easily (often without concentrating too deeply). He or she may or may not be able to teach it to others, depending upon how and when it was learned.

Reference: Four stages of competence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:)

Very interesting observation Jay. I'm fairly certain I've never touched that parameter, so I'm curious to see how mine is set right now and play around with it a bit.

D

Back
Top Bottom