codyraptor

Inspired
I am a seasoned user of the Axe Fx II as well as the AX8. I have been overly pleased with the progression of these units and I have always been satisfied with my tone. I rarely if ever adjust any of the advanced parameters. I found it made things more complicated when having to reset after FW updates, so I left things alone and dialed amps in as normal.
I recently decided to tweak the compression in the amp block. WOW!! I am embarrassed that I never took advantage of that parameter before. My amps have punch and sustain that seem more natural sounding. A little goes a long way, but these parameters have changed my amp feel dramatically.

Just curious...are there any other 'go to' parameters that are common adjustments for you guys?

Also...I know there is not a 'wrong' way to do anything with these units...but is there an amp type where the amp block compression might produce a negative result?

The amp parameters I tend to adjust the most are Power Amp Bias and Negative Feedback. I really like the sound of negative feedback. The down side to my tweaking is that all the amps I use generally end up sounding pretty similar.

My go to advance controls are dynamic presence and depth, amp block compression, sag, negative feedback and motor drive. So much secret sauce in that box!
Oh wow...You definitely win when it comes to advanced parameters. I'll have to do a bit more reading on those to educate myself. I don't want to fall too far down the rabbit hole.

Supply Sag - increase when I want more bouncy sound. I'm not a pot smoker, but I gravitate toward 4.20 as a sweet spot for me. Sometimes lower like 2.2.
Transformer Match - decrease when I want more clarity/biting cut. I like around 0.75
Output Compression- to equalize levels between clean and dirty sounds when using guitar volume knob to regulate. I try to keep it around 3 to 6, and also turn up output clarity. But if I know I won't be regulating clean to dirty with volume knob, I would prefer not to use this compression at all.
Input Trim - to regulate where the guitar volume knob causes the sound to clean up or get dirty; I generally increase it to get a more rich full sound, and in conjunction with a PEQ block to avoid using a drive block that consumes extra CPU
Dynamic Presence +3dB
Character Freq: 800Hz, +3dB
---> these ones I do to get more punch in my sound. I don't typically do dynamic depth (or use very little like 0.5dB) because I'm not into metal and I don't want to step on the bass player
Negative Feedback: I like turning this up for more biting clarity... it creates more room to turn up the input gain without fuzzing out, but it can also make the tone more raspy or unpleasant at loud levels

I play with other stuff sometimes, but these are ones I typically touch and a big reason why I don't want to have too many patches to keep tweaking these after firmware updates!

Back
Top Bottom