Amp blending - JCM800, VH4, 5150, Recto

kostein

Inspired
Since my last vid a few people recommended I should try blending the amps to hear how it would sound. Well I finally found some free time and woila. Amps used are JCM800, 5150, Das Metall and a Recto. I edited the presets a bit and I like them better now. First half of the tune the amps are played solo and on the second half you'll hear every possible blend between two amps (there's a part blending three of them). As if getting tones out of the Axe wasn't enough :D

Dude so many cool tones, how did you blend? Did you just mix tracks in your DAW? You are a video computer and mixing genius! Tried 2 presets before wife told me to knock it off the whole house is vibrating! Seriously 5150 and Recto (so far...) are 2 of the best high gain presets anyone has ever posted. This is serious high praise from a serious high gainer (course I had to tweak the gain a bit! :) )

Last edited:
I blend all the time, you get sounds you simply can't get from one amp.

This is a great demo, thanks for taking the time.

Yummy blends!

Since my last vid a few people recommended I should try blending the amps to hear how it would sound. Well I finally found some free time and woila. Amps used are JCM800, 5150, Das Metall and a Recto. I edited the presets a bit and I like them better now. First half of the tune the amps are played solo and on the second half you'll hear every possible blend between two amps (there's a part blending three of them). As if getting tones out of the Axe wasn't enough :D

kostein,

Well done! Here's how I hear it:

The JCM800 by itself is clearly not as high-gain as the other's, but it's a GREAT blender-amp, especially with the VH-4 and the 5150. I was NOT crazy about about this particular Recto sound Sorry!..It seemed a bit dull, undefined, and "one-dimensional" if that makes any sense?!? That said, I know the the Recto CAN sound really good....I dunno, maybe it was the settings or the Cab/IR-combination with those settings? Anyways, my favorite blend was the JCM800 (note-clarity; tight low-end; old-school vibe) with the VH-4 (lots of gain and upper-mids & presence!) The JCM800 with 5150 was pretty cool too for a lot of the same reasons, but I thought the VH-4 "cut" better in your full-mix.

BTW, have you tried the Brit Marshall JVM-410 for similar tones? I think that model is a beast! Also (believe it or not) if you want another amp (instead of the JCM800) to blend with more modern higher-gain tones, try the Carol Ann OD2r! That amp has similar classic-vibe and note-clarity, but with a surprising amount of gain-potential!!!

Just my two-pennies...but these are just more ideas, and your tones are your EXCELLENT!

Bill

Thanks for the input dudes :) There's a few amps that I've still yet to try, Powerball, Mark V, Soldano to name a few. I'll evertually try them and post what I come up with.

Dude so many cool tones, how did you blend? Did you just mix tracks in your DAW? You are a video computer and mixing genius! Tried 2 presets before wife told me to knock it off the whole house is vibrating! Seriously 5150 and Recto (so far...) are 2 of the best high gain presets anyone has ever posted. This is serious high praise from a serious high gainer (course I had to tweak the gain a bit! :) )

I just record everything in Cubase and mix it in the box. My signal chain is Schecter C7 Hellraiser > Axe > Fireface 800. Mixes are done on my Dynaudio BM5 MKII's. I do all my tone tweaking on my Atomic cab and when I'm happy with my tone I start tracking to hear how good it sounds in the mix. If it doesn't sound good enough to my ears I tweak my tone a little bit and I start tracking again. I rinse and repeat until it sounds right.

Some or all of these tones might not sound good depending on your setup. What works for someone may not work for you. Also I've noticed that in order to remove fizz I need to add a 5-9db notch at around 2Khz. Again this might not apply to you depending on your setup.

I'll post the updated presets tomorrow for your enjoyment ;)

I wasn't too impressed with any of the tones on their own but when you blended the 3 suddenly everything lined up and it sounded great! Great video man and thanks for sharing!

recto and peavy together sound best to me ;)

the idea behind is this to blend several tracks with the same source to fatten it up. common practice in studios -> mic a cab up with not only one mic ^^

for our album im doing the same: take on amp and reamp it through several IRs/mic combinations and use the volume faders as eq

Back
Top Bottom