Amp and cab X/Y

WITELITE

Experienced
I noticed one of the cool things with the mfc and axe fx 2 is to use a footswitch to change the x/y state. Is there a way for it to change 2? Let's say my clean setting (X) is a fender twin with a fender twin cab and my crunch setting (Y) is a Marshall amp and cab. Can one press of the footswitch change the x/y state of both the amp and cab?

Or is there a better way?

Currently, the only way is to assign Amp X/Y and Cab X/Y to the same CC#. That would have them always switching together.

I posted a wish list item for X/Y to be modifier-accessible, so this could be configured per patch.

Hi All,

Scarr, that's correct if you're in Axe-Fx Mode, but setting the IA switch for General Use (Axe-Fx Function: NONE) allows you to assign 2 CCs but all of the CUSTOM MIDI data, so you could in fact control many more than one on a single CC, and even have some operate inversely.

I guess I have a lot to learn. Not sure I get all of this but I'll keep reading the manual. In the meantime, any more detail/tutorial is most appreciated.

I'm also assuming you can have say 13 of the 15 switches set for Axe FX Mode and other two for General Use?

I'm also assuming you can have say 13 of the 15 switches set for Axe FX Mode and other two for General Use?

Even better... take your pick one-by-one.
So, for the tutorial... you want to have one footswitch change both AMP and CAB X/Y, right?

-m@

Yes. Last night I used the X/Y function to have it change the amp so right now my clean setting is a fender twin running through a marshall cab. Ideally, I could do both and even trigger other units like a GR-55.

Love your thoughts as well as whether the latter is doable (which would mean that the CCs would transmit through both the CAT 5 cable as well as midi cable on the MFC)

Thanks

MM

Even better... take your pick one-by-one.
So, for the tutorial... you want to have one footswitch change both AMP and CAB X/Y, right?

-m@
This would be a wonderful tutorial as it is applicable to so many other potential uses.. not just X/Y for amp/cab :)

Reactions: jon
newbie question
so how exactly would you assign one of the general
switches to control XY parameter of the amp?
In the mfc 101 manual there does not seem to be a specific
assignment for XY?

I think it's great how the AxeFx II expands preset possibilities. For example, a single preset can now contain two Amp blocks and each can have an X and Y mode. That's 4 amps in a single preset. Without consequences for the CPU. Much easier preset management.
(And with the MFC you can use the same preset switch for even more flexibility (Alternate preset).)

However, this doesn't translate (yet) to easy control with the MFC-101, at least not in Axe-Fx Mode. I like Axe-Fx Mode, but AFAIK it won't let me:
- switch presets and go directly to Amp2 (if the preset is saved with Amp1 engaged) for example, or
- go straight to a preset with the Phaser block set to Y
Because of this I'll still need to save separate presets for use in Song Mode, so that I can click a preset switch and not have to stomp additional IAs.

Am I seeing this wrong? Please correct me.

Last edited:
Yek,
That would be very cool if you could do what you wish. Seems like there could be a setting, something like "x/y override" where any x/y changes you'd made to the preset you were in would persist into the next preset. In the "bugs" section Cliff just responded to a post of mine about x/y switches turning on the effect. He said bypass state was stored with x/y, but he would look into changing that.

If bypass were disconnected from the x/y state and you had "x/y override," you could set up the flavor of the patch you were going to switch to before ever getting there and do it on the fly. That would be really cool and enable a ton of patch flexibility.

Reactions: yek

What happened to the tutorial? ;)

I could sure use a step by step guide about how to setup a single footswitch to X/Y AMP1-CAB1 to/from AMP2-CAB2 ...

I use the X/Y unconventionally - kind of the way you described at the beginning of this thread. I do it mainly to tighten up my presets. We play about 45 songs in a typical show, and some of the songs require up to five presets. I like to keep everything on one bank, and so.... You can probably use what I do below to get an idea of how you could make what you want to do work in Axe FX Mode (with some obvious trade-offs).
I have a dedicated "X/Y" switch on the MFC. I'm not looking at the list of CC#s, but I think "Amp 1 X/Y" is the first "X/Y" CC#. Again, not looking at the list, I'll pretend it's CC#100. I go on the Axe FX and change every "X/Y" CC# to 100. I assign CC#100 to that "X/Y" switch on the MFC. Now, everytime I press that switch, everything that can be switched by X/Y happens all at once. If I don't want an effect (or anything else for that matter) to change when I press that button - I just keep all of their parameters the same. I give up the ability to have multiple X/Y controllers on the MFC that are specific to certain blocks, but that doesn't effect me because I design each specific preset (or half of a preset now that I have X/Y) for each specific song. I only do this for songs that only require two specific tones, so I still have songs that take up 3, 4 or even 5 preset spots, but most songs are covered by 2 (clean and crunchy - usually).

Sorry if this doesn't come close to answering your question, but I love this flexibility - the way everyone can make this system work however they want. I'm probably just waxing poetic because my MFC is back in NH for repair and I miss it!

Loopback777, first of all thanks for the reply man!

Actually i figured it out yesterday...since i had already assigned an IA switch for AMP X/Y1 all i had to do was indeed to just assign the same CC## for both AMP X/Y1 and CAB X/Y1 (AxeFXII-->I/O-->Control, CC# 100 is for the AMP1 X/Y so i just set the CAB1 X/Y to 100 as well)...

Thanks again!

Follow up to this topic...
I wanted to make a single IA on the MFC act as a common X/Y switch. In my case I used IA #11 (normally PAN/TREM1) in AXFX II Mode. To do this, I did the following:

Went into the AXFX II menu: IO, CTRL... sel AMP1 X/Y to 121 (This is the CC# for IA 11 when NOT in AX mode). Did same for AMP2 X/Y through WAWWAY2 X/Y (all to 121). Note that this would be reset with a global restet (such as after a new firmware load).

Went into MFC to change IA#11 to NOT be in AXFX mode: Press Exit/Save button, Midi Button, press Page Right 6 times (displays IA01 Axe-Fx FILTER1), press INCR 10 times (displays PAN/TREM1), press PAGE Right (to select the AX function associated), press and hold (to scroll) the DECR button until it displays NONE (note: the AX functions are semi-alphabetical, but NONE is just below AMP1). Press EXIT/SAVE. New firmware to MFC would clear this setting.

Now, pressing IA#11 will change all AXFXII X/Ys to the other state, but all other MFC/AXII operation is the same (my goal). The MFC LED shows green in Y state (I could not figure how to make this be RED for X and Green for Y).

Hope this helps...

Yek,
What I'd like to find a way to do is have the LED for IA #11 be Red initially (X) then change to green (Y). It would work like other IAs that are enabled per patch in AX FX Mode... Only the green LED lights... could not find a setting in the MFC to enable that (for IA #11, just global and it is enabled).

Thanks,

pete

Back
Top Bottom