FS American Strat - Crimson Red Transparent - mod w humbucker

Thanks everyone. Sparky at AxeCentral came back to me with some very nice info. Still don't know if its alder or ash.. Its "sounding like" alder to me :D ( I just thru that in there to see if I can offend any guitarists who believe there IS NO DIFFERENCE in tone. )

Here's the quote from sparky

"Okay, she's is a American Deluxe Fat Strat HSS 'First Version' (U.S. Mfg., Model No. 010-1100/1102)

Factory: Corona California

Premium alder or ash body, crimson transparent finish, one-piece maple neck, 22 medium-jumbo fret maple (1002) or rosewood (1000) fingerboard, Bi-Flex truss rod, Micro-Tilt neck adjustment, Fender Deluxe locking tuners, Deluxe two-point synchronized tremolo, a Fender DH-1 Humbucker in the bridge position, and two single coil pickups wound extra hot for proper balance with the DH-1 Humbucker, a LSR roller nut, and a rosewood fingerboard. Only produced between 1998-2004.

That one there is worth a thousand dollars, according to Fjestad's Blue Book.

I hope this helps."

Thanks again all. I am very happy to own a strat now, and finding it much easier to get tones out of the drive pedals in the axe fX. My other guitar pickup settings (and less sensitive volume pots) were not nearly as flexible and something about the strat sound (humbucks and all) just seems to create a more controllable fuzz or drive. Body sounds like an Alder to me, but I never owned an ash guitar. I think my American made BC Rich body is made of Koa. Not sure what my Ibanaez guitar bodys are made of, and not sure what my Mexican strat is made of. Its a luxery to be able to even think of whether wood makes a difference in tone. In my mind it does make some difference - its just hard to separate all the components of tone, and body may not be hugely significant.

Last edited:
Okay - Thanks for encouraging me. Its apparently a guitar from the year 2000. I'm not sure of all the details of this guitar - do you know what the neck radius is or if its a deluxe or standard.

Deluxe has a D in the serial # like DZXXXXXX. The one in my avatar is DZ6 for 2006 Deluxe Strat and no compound radius in 2000. Nor mine , 2006. Also, I am getting ready to put a HB in the bridge, so I think that's a good thing.

More info from Fender:
When did Fender lose the D on Deluxe Strats? in 2010. Once they finished using up the remaining "DZ9xxxxxx" serial numbers in early 2010 they used a format with just "10xxxxxx" for a few months, then debuted the "US10xxxxxx" format about March/April of 2010, and they have used that format since (going to "US11xxxxxx" circa March 2011, "US12" in March 2012, etc.).

Technically the "D" was added in front of the "regular" serial numbers - so a 1999 would have been "DN9xxxxxx" while the American Standards had "N9xxxxxx" numbers, and so on.

At the same time they also stopped using the "S" extra prefix on the Artist Signature models.

Thanks for the links. Yeah, I think to me its worth more. Maybe prospective guitar students lose perspective as they can watch youtube and things seem so easy. They maybe are not as willing to invest in truly quality musical instruments - I think this is so enjoyable to own (I have a Mexico strat and its alright but it doesn't seem quite as nice. To me that extra edge counts for a lot when it comes to a musical instrument.)

I had a Strat Plus (90's) and it had a roller nut like yours. I think thats a great guitar

Deluxe has a D in the serial # like DZXXXXXX. The one in my avatar is DZ6 for 2006 Deluxe Strat and no compound radius in 2000. Nor mine , 2006. Also, I am getting ready to put a HB in the bridge, so I think that's a good thing.

More info from Fender:
When did Fender lose the D on Deluxe Strats? in 2010. Once they finished using up the remaining "DZ9xxxxxx" serial numbers in early 2010 they used a format with just "10xxxxxx" for a few months, then debuted the "US10xxxxxx" format about March/April of 2010, and they have used that format since (going to "US11xxxxxx" circa March 2011, "US12" in March 2012, etc.).

Technically the "D" was added in front of the "regular" serial numbers - so a 1999 would have been "DN9xxxxxx" while the American Standards had "N9xxxxxx" numbers, and so on.

At the same time they also stopped using the "S" extra prefix on the Artist Signature models.

Maxdown and sparky had this info,

"Fender dropped the 'D' prefix from the serial numbers for the first 4 or 5 months of 2000 but then decided to go back to adding it later .... so yours is probably an early 2000. (maxdown) "

I dunno if its correct but its all pretty interesting - and my guitar certainly seems to have the compound radius (unless I'm hallucinating - but I'm not on DMT or anything)

Maxdown and sparky had this info,

"Fender dropped the 'D' prefix from the serial numbers for the first 4 or 5 months of 2000 but then decided to go back to adding it later .... so yours is probably an early 2000. (maxdown) "

I dunno if its correct but its all pretty interesting - and my guitar certainly seems to have the compound radius (unless I'm hallucinating - but I'm not on DMT or anything)

So When I am wrong I am fine admitting it.
This is your Strat:
AMERICAN DELUXE STRATOCASTER® HSS (AMERICAN DELUXE STRATOCASTER® FAT STRAT) (1998-2004)

Last edited:
I can tell you it an original pick guard, with a different pickup. My fat Strat had a bridge pickup with 2 screw on one side.I did the same thing and put a different pickup in

Back
Top Bottom