ambient swells using fx8

Attach a modifier to the volume level parameter. Assign a controller to it-- Exp pedal for manual, or ADSR for auto. the trick to ADSR controlled swells is to set the attack fairly slow, like a few hundred milliseconds, run the level up to 100%, and then set sustain and release to taste.

Then play with the modifier curve and ADSR attack to fine tune the swell.

Attach a modifier to the volume level parameter. Assign a controller to it-- Exp pedal for manual, or ADSR for auto. the trick to ADSR controlled swells is to set the attack fairly slow, like a few hundred milliseconds, run the level up to 100%, and then set sustain and release to taste.

Then play with the modifier curve and ADSR attack to fine tune the swell.

WOW, no wonder I couldn't figure it out on my own. Who thinks of this stuff!

For many, going to a system like FX8, AFX, Eclipse, H3000, etc is a shock as there are far more parameters available to the user. Take some time to really learn the system and it will become much more intuitive.

WOW, no wonder I couldn't figure it out on my own. Who thinks of this stuff!

Those modifiers are things I couldn't live without now. If you've ever used automation in a DAW then the concept isn't too hard to get your head around. The main thing to do though is find a volume block setting you like and save it as a preset. You may need a couple if you start combining it with drive or compression etc.

And if youtube there are a few modifier tutorials and demonstrations.

Those modifiers are things I couldn't live without now. If you've ever used automation in a DAW then the concept isn't too hard to get your head around. The main thing to do though is find a volume block setting you like and save it as a preset. You may need a couple if you start combining it with drive or compression etc.

And if youtube there are a few modifier tutorials and demonstrations.

Found a volume swell block and saved it. Thanks for the tip. I/m using it frequently now!

Found a volume swell block and saved it. Thanks for the tip. I/m using it frequently now!

Don't let your exploration of modifiers end there! The sky is the limit - more or less... for instance you could tell a delay block to only add delay to notes above a certain pitch... you could have reverb that has more mix the harder you hit the strings... etc etc etc.

Once you realise their potential you'll see that - if you want - you can really do things that no one else using an FX8 (or Axe Fx or AX8) is doing... it's kinda ultimate creative control... which is why as much as I like the form factor of the Helix I couldn't really ever switch to one... it's beautiful, but limited. And my god, I couldn't gig without scenes ever again!

I Think that a "randomisation" function as an "internal controller" would be interesting too. (sorry for my english)
A random value between two very close points would give the sound a more natural feeling (ex. A random pitch correction between 0 and 5 cents...).

I Think that a "randomisation" function as an "internal controller" would be interesting too. (sorry for my english)
A random value between two very close points would give the sound a more natural feeling (ex. A random pitch correction between 0 and 5 cents...).
A few of the LFO shapes sound pretty random - especially if you tweak the timing to not match the tempo of the effect. If you poke around the forum some people have discussed this... :)

Is there a way to get a preset for the auto swell for AX8? I can't seem to make it work even using the conversation software, nothing loads.

I'm able to get an auto swell with the Envelope...but this thread seemed to indicate ADSR may work better...I can't get that to work at all...I'm guessing I'm missing something simple.

You can also use the Gate/Expander block for volume swells. Auto volume is basically a noise gate with a slow attack time.

For quick and dirty it works fine, but the swell taper is not adjustable. You'll have more control using envelope controller since you can manipulate the taper of the swell to your liking via the modifier options.

Revisiting this thread. I just received my FX8 MKII and love it. I still can't figure out how to do these auto volume swells though. Had a block saved but now I can't find it. Can anyone shoot me over an auto volume swell VOL block? Thanks in advance, this is driving me crazy!

I think I'm going to put in a formal suggestion for ADSRs that you can draw, or at least see once you've plugged in the parameters. There's probably no way to do that on the FX8 front panel, but also no reason your can't implement that in FX8 Edit. I understand the numbers, but I would be more productive if I could see the envelope.

Back
Top Bottom