Amateur MFC-101, MK. III Question

Hey there everyone,

I just recently got my hands on an Axe-Fx II XL+ unit, as well as the MFC-101, and have been really stoked on it! That being said, I'm still quite uncertain of how to fully use it... Figured I would hop on here to get some answers.

My biggest question right now comes down to utilizing a plethora of effects through the AI switches on the MFC. I would love to have a way in which I could access roughly 17 - 20 of the effects on the Axe Fx, all with the MFC in a live scenario. My problem has been that AI switches seem to be global on the MFC-101...

I had an idea on how to achieve what I'm looking for, but it relies heavily preset-specific IA coordination. My dream would be to have two different presets (let's say, preset 001 and 061), both of which have the same amp and cabinet on them, with the same volume outputs, but have two completely different effect chains. Preset 001 would have Reverb, Delay, Phaser, Flanger, Tremelo, Wah, Volume, Compression, etc., which are all accessible from the MFC when on preset 001. Preset 061, however, would have Synth, Multi-Delay, Graphic EQ, Rotary, Ring Mod, Pitch, etc., which are all accessible from MFC when on preset 061.

Using the "alternate preset" function on the MFC, I could switch between these two, basically identical sounding presets (in terms of amp and cabinet) without having to scroll multiple pages in the middle of a performance, allowing me access to more effects than I could fit in one preset alone. Plus, by creating these specific presets, it also allows me to make sure that only the effects in my chain change, and not the tone/output of the amp and cab (super important as tone/volume differences drive me crazy during live performance).

To sum this up, is there a way around global IA switching, or perhaps an easier way to achieve what I'm going for?

Sorry for the long post... You guys are all awesome!

All the best,

- Jack

You can use "wild cards" which allow the mfc buttons to do different functions on different Axe fx presets. Also check out scenes if you haven't already. I'm still not very savvy with the mfc so I'm sure some other users will offer other solutions.

In order to have switches on the mfc do more then one effect you will have to take those switches out of axe fx mode and program them as wild card external controllers. then in your axe fx presets you will have to assign these wild card external controllers to the effect you wish to control. Or you could remap the effects cc#'s in the axe fx so one cc# will control more then one effect. Either of these methods can get confusing though with no good way to label the switches. Most try to make use of scenes with the axe fx and mfc to work as an effects switcher, switching multiple effects simintaniously with a single switch.

Hey, Paranoid and TahoeBrian,

Really appreciate your quick responses guys! I went home and gave wildcard functions a try. They worked just as you said they would, however it appears to me that if you set an IA switch to "none" on a preset, you, in a way, lose the ability to change that same IA switch to a specific effect (such as straight "flanger") within any other presets. Doing so would change the IA effect of the original preset from "none", to whatever effect you just chose. This sound right to you? Totally possible I did something wrong!

Also, I would really love to use my scenes for each preset, but from my understanding you can only load a certain amount of effects into each preset before you use up all your "CPU" room (as I see it written in Axe Edit). Is this correct? If so, scenes would be great for switching seamlessly between a few different effect groupings, but wouldn't be possible if I was trying to add in 17 different effects to the preset. (I also noticed my chain gets extremely noisy as I started to add more and more effects a few days ago. The hiss got a bit unbearable, but perhaps this is just my cable or power conditioner.)

Can't thank you two enough for the help so far. Learning this system has been a journey... So grateful for this forum and the kind people on it!

Much love,

- Jack

P.S. Tahoebrian, is Voes the brand name of these outboard switches?

Last edited:
Even if you use the IA switches, each preset will only hold so much. Adding effects blocks to a preset should not effect the noise level if the blocks are bypassed. if a lot of effects are engaged your noise levels will vary just like real pedals. You have tons of preset locations, there is no reason not to take some presets for different effect tones. some do this on a song basis. I currently use about 10 presets with different amp tones and or special effects. 2 or 3 presets are just good old amp, delay, and reverb with scenes for clean, lean, mean, and over the top lead tones.

I think I'm using it the way you want to use it. But not totally. I explain how I have set up my pedal board here and I guess you can use effects instead of the scenes. I have already switch the number five button so you should be able to do the other four...

Even if you use the IA switches, each preset will only hold so much. Adding effects blocks to a preset should not effect the noise level if the blocks are bypassed. if a lot of effects are engaged your noise levels will vary just like real pedals. You have tons of preset locations, there is no reason not to take some presets for different effect tones. some do this on a song basis. I currently use about 10 presets with different amp tones and or special effects. 2 or 3 presets are just good old amp, delay, and reverb with scenes for clean, lean, mean, and over the top lead tones.
Thanks, Paranoid! I loaded it up the way you were describing and it's been working fine ever since. Glad I posted on here, instead of driving myself crazy.

You've been awesome. Thanks again pal!

Take care,

- Jack

I think I'm using it the way you want to use it. But not totally. I explain how I have set up my pedal board here and I guess you can use effects instead of the scenes. I have already switch the number five button so you should be able to do the other four...

Hi, Max. Can't wait to check this out my friend. I'm definitely interested in utilizing the scene options much more, so the video should be perfect!

Stoked to check out some of the other videos as well. Keep em' up.

All the best, dude,

- Jack

Hi, Max. Can't wait to check this out my friend. I'm definitely interested in utilizing the scene options much more, so the video should be perfect!

Stoked to check out some of the other videos as well. Keep em' up.

All the best, dude,

- Jack
Cool thank you for your answer. I hope you will find some good stuff in the videos. Maybe you have an idea for a video that I can make in the future...

Back
Top Bottom