Amateur EQ Questions

sprint

Axe-Master
Using GEQ or PEQ, if I want to boost or cut a frequency by more than 12db (let's say boost 800hz by +18db for example) and I only have +-12db of adjustment range, can I set, in this example, 800hz to max (+12db), cut all the other sliders by 6db, and boost overall level by 6db to get the equivalent of an 18db boost? - does this kind of logic work in the GEQ/PEQ blocks?

Similarly, if I have all the sliders boosting at least Xdb, can I move ALL the sliders down by Xdb and boost the overall level by Xdb to get an equiviant output?

Going to answer my own initial question here but it raises another. So FractalAudio states here ( https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/eq-question.78174/post-951832 ) that adjusting other bands, or stacking eq blocks is not really a solution to getting more gain range out of an eq.

So - my question now is: how do I replicate some common eq pedal settings in Axefx? IE - I have an MXR eq pedal that is +/- 18db on each slider but Axefx PEQ/GEQ blocks are only +/-12db. Is the added 6db range of such pedal unnecessary or not realistically perceptible?

The total EQ curve is not flat between bands. Each band has a center frequency and bandwidth of it's own. If you push all the bands up all the way, you don't get a flat curve at a higher level. You end up with a series of bumps, one for each band. Same goes for cuts.

The response actually looks like this:
c_HyG1YADg-yvZKcUPiP92393k76Y_t3VrfZFsuD9opXfsGZm12p1e0zGFzkT4kKft1PuTXtNmuMvFitdvs_i4oAexxl9jLj

Stacking EQ's increases the filter slope for each band as well, so the bumps get sharper and sharper as you stack them. You do get more gain, but over a narrower range for each band slider.

If you want to accurately recreate the frequency response of the MXR pedal, Tone Match it at various EQ settings and save them out as user IRs.

Last edited:
The total EQ curve is not flat between bands. Each band has a center frequency and bandwidth of it's own. If you push all the bands up all the way, you don't get a flat curve at a higher level. You end up with a series of bumps, one for each band. Same goes for cuts.

The response actually looks like this:

Stacking EQ's increases the filter slope for each band as well, so the bumps get sharper and sharper as you stack them. You do get more gain, but over a narrower range for each band slider.

If you want to accurately recreate the frequency response of the MXR pedal, Tone Match it at various EQ settings and save them out as user IRs.
Thanks for the detailed response on this - much appreciated.

I suspected what you described the more I thought about it.

Back
Top Bottom