AMA. Bravest tribute ever.

electronpirate

Axe-Master
There were some good moments in the AMA's tonight. Music has clearly passed me by, but I took to some of the Post Malone stuff...liked his take on things. I like that Camila...she has a hot pepper thing that fires me up. Most of the others...meh.

My point here is the tribute to Aretha. So many of these things try to pull big names to sing songs that everyone knows. This one was DIFFERENT. So good. They adhered to what Aretha would have considered her roots and played a full on gospel set. Gladys showed that she can still clearly throw it to start, and it was a litany of roots church extravaganza after that.

It was a rare, brave moment from an awards show that takes care to not take chances. It was refreshing, uplifting, and a true tribute to not what Aretha made her money on, but who she WAS.

Kudos.

R

My point here is the tribute to Aretha. So many of these things try to pull big names to sing songs that everyone knows. This one was DIFFERENT. So good. They adhered to what Aretha would have considered her roots and played a full on gospel set. Gladys showed that she can still clearly throw it to start, and it was a litany of roots church extravaganza after that.

It was a rare, brave moment from an awards show that takes care to not take chances. It was refreshing, uplifting, and a true tribute to not what Aretha made her money on, but who she WAS.

She said, Tell me are you a Christian, child?
And I said, Ma'am I am tonight

Fits well here.

I did not watch, as is my custom with such shows. But it sounds like the Aretha tribute was powerful. She did lead a tumultuous life, but left such a revered musical legacy. As musicians, we all should honor her for her awesome voice and heartfelt music. The word "legend" gets so overused it is almost without meaning anymore, but in her case, legend is very fitting. Her voice got right to my heart from the very first time I heard it.

Back
Top Bottom