Am I the only one who noticed that some amps have ALOT more gain?

Put up a recording to show the distortions on the pickstrokes. Is this how it's supposed to sound?

This is the untweaked factory Bassguy65 preset, recorded with USB out. HHH Strat, mid+bridge, both HBs switched to parallel.
On my Beyer DT770 I can hear it very clearly. The Behringer Truths are less obvious. Nevertheless it is there.

Sounds good to me. I like the sound with bit of breakup when you pick hard so that's the way I programmed it.

That's what I have been doing but it is still not as clean as before & the overall level is so much lower than before. At this point, I can't get the double verb to completely clean up, even with the gain at 1.3, mv at 8.9! That just makes no sense & there is no twin I have ever played that did that except one that was seriously F'd up.

Try these settings on your Double Verb:
Gain: 1.2
MV: 7.0
Volume: Adjust to taste

When I use my PRS with medium output humbuckers on this setting I get a beautiful totally clean glassy tone.

When I use my PRS with medium output humbuckers on this setting I get a beautiful totally clean glassy tone.

I'll give that a try when I get home from work tonight. If it works, great, but it is not even close to how a real twin would react. Of course, when I had my twin it was brand new. Maybe 40+ years later, they break up easier. My '65 Bassman was only 9 years old when I got it & it was hard to get it to break up lower than 7 with a Les Paul Deluxe so it seems wrong that Anderson & Suhr strats can do it so easily on these V6 models. Thanks for the tip!

No problems at all with V6 presets

FWIW, today I used the Axe-Fx II for the first time. Out of the box I installed Axe-Edit, updated the firmware to V6, loaded the new V6 presets and plugged in my Sadowsky Semi.
I did not change anything (no input trim, volume or whatsoever)!

ALL V6 presets sound as expected! Clean is clean (no unwanted distortion), crunchy is crunchy, distorted is distorted
(so there has to be a solution for all reported distortion problems by adjusting the existing user presets).

My hi-gain presets actually came out sounding a little LESS gainy. It's not that they actually lost gain, it's that they gained more clarity. I can hear every string through the distrotion. It's killer.

The 65 Bassguy has more gain than before. The '59, Vibroverb, Deluxe and Twin did not change.

The 65 Bassguy was matched to a 65 Bassman that Dweezil sent me. It's a vicious amp that sounds more like a Plexi than a Fender. It's the infamous AB165 circuit which is very crunchy and bright and does not sound like your typical Fender.

I've just spent some time with this amp & I'm loving it.

I too noticed the clean patches were all "gainy". I didn't have a single preset without distortion. I'm using a LP with Burstbuckers for testing. For example, I used to use East/Wes for songs like Amie, the new patch sounded like Sabbath.
On the "clean" patches, I lowered gain to between 1 and 1.3 and it cleaned up nicely. Had to boost the output a lot though.

Sounds good to me. I like the sound with bit of breakup when you pick hard so that's the way I programmed it.
OK then. If this is the way it's supposed to be, then thats alright.

Are you sure we are talking about the same bite? The distortion I am referring to is not dependent on pitch. It has the same pitch wherever I play. It's just ... crackly. Not very musical. I like those tiny-bit-of-edge tones, but this is just noise to me since it hardly changes whatever I play. As I wrote it is most audible with headphones. My DT770s are nicely revealing...

I once spent a small fortune (for me in those days) modding a dual recto to lose some of that pick crackle. With meager results.

had the same impression so i have updated all banks and then tweaked my sounds so far i cant tell difference but tried tone match and its quite impressive but still missing Amp Matching ;)

The 65 Bassguy has more gain than before. The '59, Vibroverb, Deluxe and Twin did not change.

The 65 Bassguy was matched to a 65 Bassman that Dweezil sent me. It's a vicious amp that sounds more like a Plexi than a Fender. It's the infamous AB165 circuit which is very crunchy and bright and does not sound like your typical Fender.

Mine is a blonde one of these

The Fender Amp Field Guide

I thought it was a 63' but now I'm thinking a 61' or 62'; it has the dark grill cloth for sure.

Mine is a glassy clean though, not a tweedy breakup amp.

Richard

Those old Fender amps can be all over the map sometimes, from one to the next. I've played BF Twin Reverbs that broke up early on the volume dial (3-4), although more often they stay very clean until you get them turned up much more. Depends on the taper of the pots in the actual amp, how well the amp is setup and running, etc. Speakers factor in as well. Jim Heath has a mid 60's Twin Reverb that crunches early on that he sometimes pairs with a Super Reverb that stays cleaner at higher settings. Seems backwards, but that's what those two amps do. I used to own a stock BF Bassman that crunched like a plexi when dialed up to 4-5 on the volume. Had another that stayed a good bit cleaner until turned up more. I have a lot more time on vintage Fender amps than any other make, so just offering up my thoughts, for what it's worth (or not). I have yet to try out FW 6, but I'll be paying attention to tapers when I do.

+1 on speakers are critical to vintage Fender break up.

That's why lots of cats used to drop JBL's in Twins. Could hardly make them break up.

Richard

I tried these settings & it cleans up but you also lose the high end sparkle & openness that was there before. Fix one thing, break another. I checked out the Princetone & the strange thing is, that is the ONLY Fender sim that will stay clean with the master on 9 & drive above 2!! I set the drive as high as 4 & it was just starting to break up. I changed the amp type to all the other Fender sims with these same settings & it was lots of distortion! This makes no sense to me & goes against everything I know about real world Fender amps after 46 years of playing. Please fix this!

Time for folks to readjust their conventions. Set the master volume correct for the amp type - start at 9.00 for non-master volume amp types and 5.00 for master volume (modern) amp types. Then start with the Drive at 0.00 and adjust to taste. If you get a Fender Twin for example and get the volume up over 3.5 with single coils or over 2.00 with humbuckers.... it's out of control loud and distorts (in an ugly way) every time.

The only consistent control in the Axe-FX now is the Master Volume. The rest are adjusted to match the taper and gain slopes of the actual amp types. It's far more accurate and logical for guitarists once you 'get it'.

I know its a perfectly silly question, but I was born in the woods and our house never had a bathtub. (We do now, thanks for the concern BTW.) Also, I wasn't taught to read until I was 14 and 1/2, and up 'til that time I was never allowed to listen to any music except fiddle, and songs of our homestate Kentucky birds like the "Lesser Yellowlegs". So the question is, is there a way for a non-amp nerd to know such as by looking at the 1st amp page, whether an amp model is a non-master-type? I sort of get that the early Fender varieties were not master volume types (I think...) but what else? I've seen reference to this in discussions, but can't remember If its all in one place in a simple list.

This is what I found, please check my work if you like, but if I'm wrong don't force me to drink from a rusty sprinkler hose like I did throughout my childhood:

NON MASTER Volume AMPs:

Bassguy 59
Bassguy 65
Vibrato Verb
Deluxe Verb
Double Verb
Jr Blues
Class A 15W (AC15 Vox)
Class A 30W (AC30 Vox)
Class A 30W TB (AC30 Vox)
Brit JM45
Plexi Normal
1987X Normal / Treble
Wrecker 1 (Trainwreck Express)
Jazz 120 (Roland JC-120)
Buttery (Budda Twinmaster)
Blanknshp Leeds (Blankenship Leeds)

Hope I missed a couple and I you find them. Its nice when someone else is being corrected and YOU'RE DOIN' The
Correcting.

Oh, I realize that if one were to reset the amp block and the MV goes to 9, it is a non-master type. But that means one might be eliminating some tweaking work or some such. This is mainly for complainers who are too lazy to redo that and just want to "get it" and not feel left out of amp nerd-dom.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom