Am I the only one who noticed that some amps have ALOT more gain?

The gains were all verified against actual amps. You may need to turn the master down a bit as there is slightly more level out of the preamp into the power amp. If you had the master at 10 before you will want to put it around 9 and so on.

The preamp gains on the Fenders did NOT change. They have always been spot-on and verified against actual amps.

Then the taper must have changed quite a bit?

That doesn't sound right to me. In the mid 70s I owned a '65 Bassman & a new Fender Twin with master vol & neither one would come close to distorting with the volume at 3.5 with a Les Paul or a Jazz Bass. It seems I had a hard time getting any distortion with either of them until it got over 7! Thank god the Twin had a master vol. It seems all the Fender amps have the same volume taper as the Princetone, which I would expect to act like this but no way should a Bassman or Twin distort this easily.

I currently own a 63' Bassman, 70's Silverface Twin and an early 80's Princeton.

7mo old baby so I have downloaded 6.0 but not A/B'ed... yet!!! :)

I can say that my custom shop Les Paul, will overdrive all these amps into crunch for sure.

OTH, my vintage LP and vintage strat does not.

Not sure of the pups you are using with 6.0 but just thought I would throw some Fender info out there since I own some of the mentioned amps.

Richard

Maybe the brightness adds definition to the distortion. I notice it most in the BassGuy 65, which is one of the brightest presets out of the box. Maybe it is my guitar.

The 65 Bassguy has more gain than before. The '59, Vibroverb, Deluxe and Twin did not change.

The 65 Bassguy was matched to a 65 Bassman that Dweezil sent me. It's a vicious amp that sounds more like a Plexi than a Fender. It's the infamous AB165 circuit which is very crunchy and bright and does not sound like your typical Fender.

The 65 sounds great! Is it a model of the stock circuit? I know that was always as great platform for physical mods.

The 65 sounds great! Is it a model of the stock circuit? I know that was always as great platform for physical mods.

I was told it is stock. I did not take it apart to check. It sounds great so I modeled and matched it.

The 65 Bassguy has more gain than before. The '59, Vibroverb, Deluxe and Twin did not change.

The 65 Bassguy was matched to a 65 Bassman that Dweezil sent me. It's a vicious amp that sounds more like a Plexi than a Fender. It's the infamous AB165 circuit which is very crunchy and bright and does not sound like your typical Fender.

Then why are all my presets that use the '59, Vibroverb, Deluxe and Twin so distorted now?

Then why are all my presets that use the '59, Vibroverb, Deluxe and Twin so distorted now?
If you haven't done so, get to where you can check the Master Volume settings of your presets. If they are very low as you remembered, do you have any other pre-amp block boosting, like in a filter block, EQ block, compression or drive pedal? How are your tone stack settings?

If you haven't done so, get to where you can check the Master Volume settings of your presets. If they are very low as you remembered, do you have any other pre-amp block boosting, like in a filter block, EQ block, compression or drive pedal? How are your tone stack settings?

MV is at 9.00 as it has been since at least V5, if not V4, compressor is the only thing in front & set exactly the same, level at 0.00. Tonestacks are all the same as before, passive, nothing has changed except the firmware.

As I mentioned earlier the tapers have changed and there is a bit more level out of the preamp. Lower the Drive and MV accordingly.

I LOVE the 65 on fw 6.0! It's a splendid addition exactly because it doesn't sound like a typical Fender. There are enough typical Fenders left :)

As I mentioned earlier the tapers have changed and there is a bit more level out of the preamp. Lower the Drive and MV accordingly.

That's what I have been doing but it is still not as clean as before & the overall level is so much lower than before. At this point, I can't get the double verb to completely clean up, even with the gain at 1.3, mv at 8.9! That just makes no sense & there is no twin I have ever played that did that except one that was seriously F'd up.

Last edited:

I think all explanation is in the posts above.

Also, some peple reported about undesirable "gainy " sound after upgrading. Solved after reinstalling, or/and after a System Reset.

Put up a recording to show the distortions on the pickstrokes. Is this how it's supposed to sound?

This is the untweaked factory Bassguy65 preset, recorded with USB out. HHH Strat, mid+bridge, both HBs switched to parallel.
On my Beyer DT770 I can hear it very clearly. The Behringer Truths are less obvious. Nevertheless it is there.

Last edited:
Put up a recording to show the distortions on the pickstrokes. Is this how it's supposed to sound?

This is the untweaked factory Bassguy65 preset, recorded with USB out. HHH Strat, mid+bridge, both HBs switched to parallel.
On my Beyer DT770 I can hear it very clearly. The Behringer Truths are less obvious. Nevertheless it is there.

with my prs (any position), I am getting a lot more drive from that patch

You could try to lower the input trim a bit. Vintage amps usually have a hi and low (or normal and bright) input(s). I'm not sure which input has been modeled for each Fender amp, but if say the twin has been modeled using the hi input and the patch created for it was made with a single coil guitar, it could make any mid-output HB equipped guitar to distort a bit when used with that patch, since the input signal would be a bit too hot (to stay crystal clean).
I'm not saying that THIS is your problem (never owned a fender, always had a thing for marshalls and boogies, maybe those Fender amps mentioned don't even have a hi/low input). All I'm saying is that maybe you should try to lower the input trim until the sound cleans.

You could try to lower the input trim a bit. Vintage amps usually have a hi and low (or normal and bright) input(s). I'm not sure which input has been modeled for each Fender amp, but if say the twin has been modeled using the hi input and the patch created for it was made with a single coil guitar, it could make any mid-output HB equipped guitar to distort a bit when used with that patch, since the input signal would be a bit too hot (to stay crystal clean).
I'm not saying that THIS is your problem (never owned a fender, always had a thing for marshalls and boogies, maybe those Fender amps mentioned don't even have a hi/low input). All I'm saying is that maybe you should try to lower the input trim until the sound cleans.

My simple solution is to put the master at 7 or so and turn level up. I found that for me the distortion is not coming from the preamp but the power amp (you can turn the drive very high and the master very low and get very little distortion). So lowering the level to the power amp (master) while maintaining low/moderate setting on the drive (2-4) is very effective for me.

My simple solution is to put the master at 7 or so and turn level up. I found that for me the distortion is not coming from the preamp but the power amp (you can turn the drive very high and the master very low and get very little distortion). So lowering the level to the power amp (master) while maintaining low/moderate setting on the drive (2-4) is very effective for me.

Sean is the coolest calmest and most helpful guy on the entire Internet. Heed his advice and problem.... solved. No muss. No fuss.

My experience with the real fenders, If you have hot pickups they will distort at pretty low volumes! a friend of mine has a number of blackface fenders and tweeds ,with his LP which has dimarzio super distortion pickup , they won't clean up!

Back
Top Bottom