Am I the only one who noticed that some amps have ALOT more gain?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
After fiddling with my presets, I noticed that some amps, have alot more gain. My clean Fender preset was now a full on crunch sound. Now, I think this is a GOOD thing, since I always felt that certain amps where way too clean compared with their real life counterparts, so I say a big YES on this one :) For instance, a Fender Twin with singlecoils and the volume at 3.5 is already breaking up a bit. The amp model does that now. Before, I had to use the input trim and gain it up quite abit to get breakup at 3.5. Now, it's very much like I remember the real amps.

Thanks Cliff :)

Yes, noticed it right away. All of my clean presets now have some grit, and a couple sound more like a gain patch now. Also, the level of all my cleans are out of whack - super loud compared to gain patches where they used to be all the same.

Yes, noticed it right away. All of my clean presets now have some grit, and a couple sound more like a gain patch now. Also, the level of all my cleans are out of whack - super loud compared to gain patches where they used to be all the same.

Yeah I noticed that too. My Fender and Vox presets where much louder.

havent checked out my clean fender presets yet, but yes, I was happily surprised when started build new presets with the marshalls and 1987x etc, more and better "bite" now :D

same here on clean (usa clean) was clipping the outputs, much louder. I used to have to back my gain patches way down as the clean level was really low.. should be easier to match up levels now.

Time for folks to readjust their conventions. Set the master volume correct for the amp type - start at 9.00 for non-master volume amp types and 5.00 for master volume (modern) amp types. Then start with the Drive at 0.00 and adjust to taste. If you get a Fender Twin for example and get the volume up over 3.5 with single coils or over 2.00 with humbuckers.... it's out of control loud and distorts (in an ugly way) every time.

The only consistent control in the Axe-FX now is the Master Volume. The rest are adjusted to match the taper and gain slopes of the actual amp types. It's far more accurate and logical for guitarists once you 'get it'.

The only consistent control in the Axe-FX now is the Master Volume. The rest are adjusted to match the taper and gain slopes of the actual amp types. It's far more accurate and logical for guitarists once you 'get it'.

I agree.

Having spent a ridiculous amount of time with lots of the real versions of the amps modeled, everything actually seems much more
logical to also me now. All the amp parameters seem to work much more like I'd expect them to. You'll get the hang of it.

Time for folks to readjust their conventions. Set the master volume correct for the amp type - start at 9.00 for non-master volume amp types and 5.00 for master volume (modern) amp types. Then start with the Drive at 0.00 and adjust to taste. If you get a Fender Twin for example and get the volume up over 3.5 with single coils or over 2.00 with humbuckers.... it's out of control loud and distorts (in an ugly way) every time.

Ugly? I use the Twin for crunch sounds as well with the boost on, no uglyness there!

That doesn't sound right to me. In the mid 70s I owned a '65 Bassman & a new Fender Twin with master vol & neither one would come close to distorting with the volume at 3.5 with a Les Paul or a Jazz Bass. It seems I had a hard time getting any distortion with either of them until it got over 7! Thank god the Twin had a master vol. It seems all the Fender amps have the same volume taper as the Princetone, which I would expect to act like this but no way should a Bassman or Twin distort this easily.

Ugly? I use the Twin for crunch sounds as well with the boost on, no uglyness there!

To each their own; I personally dislike Fender Twin's over driving. It's not my flavor of ice cream! One man's ugly is another man's beauty... nothing wrong with that.

That doesn't sound right to me. In the mid 70s I owned a '65 Bassman & a new Fender Twin with master vol & neither one would come close to distorting with the volume at 3.5 with a Les Paul or a Jazz Bass. It seems I had a hard time getting any distortion with either of them until it got over 7! Thank god the Twin had a master vol. It seems all the Fender amps have the same volume taper as the Princetone, which I would expect to act like this but no way should a Bassman or Twin distort this easily.

The modeled Twin in the Axe-FX II doesn't have a master volume. Set it wide open at 9.0 on the master volume. I never commented about the Bassman or Princetone.

The modeled Twin in the Axe-FX II doesn't have a master volume. Set it wide open at 9.0 on the master volume. I never commented about the Bassman or Princetone.

That's how I have all my Fender presets MV @9. All my V6 Fender presets are now having the same "way to easy to distort" problem which is why I mentioned the other amps. The Princetone is the only one that seems about right.

That's how I have all my Fender presets MV @9. All my V6 Fender presets are now having the same "way to easy to distort" problem which is why I mentioned the other amps. The Princetone is the only one that seems about right.

It matches the source amp exactly. What do you have the Drive set at? Did you change the input trim?

On the Twin I set the Drive at 2.25 and Input Trim is at 1.00. It's clear as a bell with tons of ring and sounds ideal to these ears.

I'm not at home right now but I know the input trim is 1.00 & I am pretty sure I had the drive down below 2, maybe 1.5 or less. It sounds basically clean but if you hit it very hard at all, I get high end distortion which is nice if you want it not not so good if you can't get rid of it. It was never there before since V1 even with the drive set much higher. This doesn't coincide with any of the Fender amps I have owned, especially the twin.

The gains were all verified against actual amps. You may need to turn the master down a bit as there is slightly more level out of the preamp into the power amp. If you had the master at 10 before you will want to put it around 9 and so on.

The preamp gains on the Fenders did NOT change. They have always been spot-on and verified against actual amps.

The stock "Stereo Tape Delay" is my #1 go-to clean (because everyone knows that STD's are awesome... Er.. The effects, not the things you pick up in college)...

Was a bit of a surprise when it had some bite to it when I clicked over, but as it turns out, it sounds pretty freakin' awesome. :D

Back
Top Bottom