Am I the only one who loves the Roland Cube series amps?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I have 2, one I practice with at home and one in my guitar tech shop for testing repaired guitars with. They are both the 20x version. 10 inch speaker and the range of sounds is pretty decent, for a little solid state guy. Fun, simple, inexpensive amps that sound good to my ears.

A friend of mine has the cube 60. It sounds good. I played it for a few gigs. It felt very stiff (fast attack with not much compression or sag), but it sounded fine.

I have the original micro cube in black. Love the fact that it will run on batteries (think Florida hurricanes for one). Lot's of fun over the years. Bought it in North Carolina.

I have 2, one I practice with at home and one in my guitar tech shop for testing repaired guitars with. They are both the 20x version. 10 inch speaker and the range of sounds is pretty decent, for a little solid state guy. Fun, simple, inexpensive amps that sound good to my ears.

Nope! They came out with a Blues Cube head. Just not the same..............

I’m a little embarrassed by how much Roland stuff I have - Cube 80, Bass Cube, Micro Cubes, Cube Street, BA 330 battery powered PA, Nextone amp, Katana Artist, Blues Cube, a keyboard amp... Some of this stuff is going on 20 years old, maybe more. The bang for the buck cannot he denied. I have never bothered to sell any of it because most of it is so handy and so cheap, it’s not worth the effort to sell. Love it. Roland / Boss are the friend of the working musician.

I have a Cube 80XL that i've been using for quite a few years for smaller gigs, it works fine.
For me, there's this upper midrange nasal/honkiness that i just can't seem to dial out to my liking with the onboard eq, i think it's a cabinet volume/speaker size/overall dimensions type thing.
Anyway, it's certainly a workhorse, keeps going, easy to grab and gig etc. Love..dunno. Use? Yes, all the time.
Well at least i did, before lockdown....

I have a couple micro cubes. What are they? 3 watts? I use a mimiq doubler before them. Good little practice setup. Well it used to be my practice setup. Now I use the axefx 3 all the time.

I’m a little embarrassed by how much Roland stuff I have - Cube 80, Bass Cube, Micro Cubes, Cube Street, BA 330 battery powered PA, Nextone amp, Katana Artist, Blues Cube, a keyboard amp... Some of this stuff is going on 20 years old, maybe more. The bang for the buck cannot he denied. I have never bothered to sell any of it because most of it is so handy and so cheap, it’s not worth the effort to sell. Love it. Roland / Boss are the friend of the working musician.

And that's excluding the fact that so many highend boutique stuff like pedals are basically slightly improved/altered Boss designs. Good solid stuff, Boss makes. I reckon their biggest problem is that they didn't jump on the true bypass bandwagon and stuck with their buffered bypass systems. Then again those help make them so reliable to begin with.

Roland products are generally solid. I never warmed up to the cube but it’s not bad. If I was starting my music career I would want to hear something like the Fender Champion 40...fender amp simulation, reverb, delay, ss, 19 lbs., 200 bucks. I was quite poor in the beginning and was always tinkering with old tube amps to get them to work.

I like a lot of Roland/BOSS gear that I have. JC-22, JC-40, Blues Cubes (all Hot variants and Tour), Nextone Special, Katana Artist MkII, and of course plenty of pedals. They make great stuff.

Never played through a Roland Cube but my BOSS JS-10 is an excellent piece of gear. Still use it to learn/practice new licks over the provided backing tracks.

How do you like that Katana II?
I like it. IMO, the key to enjoying it and the Nextone Special is to not try and copy any traditional amp. Just view it as an amp with a lot of range.

I particularly like the Waza speakers, green for the Katana and blue for the Nextone. They give the amps a little more "something" to my ear over the speakers on the base models, though I think those can sound great as well.

I have two Cube 30 Xl's that have literally done a couple hundred gigs and I've never had a problem with them.

Microcube, Cube 30 and Cube 60 here!

Used the Cube 30 and Cube 60 for many smaller venue gigs. A few times miced up for larger venues.

I’m very partial to the Rectifier mode for leads from the Cube 30! The other Cubes are very similar with the Cube 60 sounding a bit rounder or fuller. And the Brit mode for Ford/Carlton/Santana tunes.

Does anyone have a patch for the rectifier tone of these?

Trying to avoid tone match at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom