Am I the only one who doesn't use Axe Edit?

Just curious if I'm the only one on this boat not using Axe Edit. I know nearly everyone here uses it constantly. I've used it once to export a ".blk" file and that was it. I use the front panel to adjust everything. I use Fractal Bot for transferring Presets, IRs, Firmware, and backing up everything. Just curious to how many don't use it and are front panel tone tweakers like me?:ugeek

Yes, you are alone in your preference on not using Axe Edit. Bummer.

Just kidding ! Axe Edit is INVALUABLE for a million different reasons.

I've always used the front panel all the way back from the time I got my Ultra, and my Axe-II hasn't been any different in that respect. Mostly I just use Axe-Edit for importing and exporting presets, uploading cabs and moving presets around. The Axe is so easy to use from the front panel I never felt much need to use Axe-Edit other than for what I mentioned.

I pretty much only use it to import cabs ,do all my tweaking and building presets from the panel.

I only use Axe-Edit. And the MFC.
It seems so much more intuitive than the front panel. I suspect some people don't feel comfortable with their laptops sitting on their gear during a gig, but for practice, Axe-Edit in the only way for me.

Same here. I also use Axe Edit for rehearsals and gigs to edit on the fly or change delay settings on the spot or throw in an extra effect block when the music asks for it etc. When you do a lot of improvising this is very handy. The front panel doesn't help you in that case. Axe edit gives much more oversight over your presets especially when using more complex ones. Also during gigs and rehearsals I can always see what I have done with my presets. Sometimes I forget what was in there or how I have set up scenes or my expression pedals etc.

What is the reason for the OP not to use Axe Edit?

Last edited:
I very rarely use the fp, although I do use the fp when waiting on AE updates. My AFX is mounted toward the bottom of a 22sp rack, so accessing the fp is inconvenient.

I almost exclusively use the front panel unless, like others have already said, I'm doing a lot of little things to a lot of presets.
I move very fast on the front panel and basically have it memorized. Don't get me wrong. Axe-Edit is great, I just didn't use it
for so long that I got used to and liked the front panel work flow. Both are handy, but one is ALWAYS there. :)

I use every tool at my disposal to make managing technology as easy as possible, to make the technology "work" for me.

That's kind of the point, isn't it? Same with the AxeFX.

I have a laptop dedicated to running all of my musical gears management tools ranging from my Korg Pandora PX5D, to my Roland Fantom G7, and including my Digitech GNX units and Line 6 stuff (Pod Pro XT, Vetta II, etc). I have more laptops than I know what to do with, so if that one dies I have more ready to step in and take its place. At one time my live rig consisted of a laptop control center connected to a GNX3K run through a PA. It controlled some patch changes and dynamic effects along with on the fly micro control of other parameters.

DSCF0287.jpg

Last edited:
I got my Axe right at the beginning of the long period where AE wasn't working right with the then-current firmware (somewhere around v8 or 9). So, for the first 10 months or so, I only used the front panel to work up the 50 or so patches that I use for my cover band. When the new AE came out, I was so comfortable with the front panel, I didn't even try it until about two months ago. Now, I'm totally addicted to it. Not that it's all that much faster, but I just think it's SOOOOO much more visual and more pleasant to use. Clicking through scenes to get a sense of the various setting changes is an absolute breeze and if I ever need to compare something, I can just snap a screenshot and do a side-by-side.

My first software engineering job required me to enter code in binary through the front panel of a Univac 1616, so I still have an affinity for the front panel of the Axe. And, I'm VERY glad I know how to use it well, should something need tweaked at a gig. But in the end, I guess I'm ultimately a windows & mouse guy.

This is my exact experience. When I bought my Axe II the edit program wasnt available, so I just learned to use the panel. I tried AE a few times awhile back and I found it crashed and ran slowly. Im sure its 100000x better now, but Ill stay in my comfortable bubble :D. The only thing I worry about it wearing out the knobs from excessive tweaking.

I use every tool at my disposal to make managing technology as easy as possible, to make the technology "work" for me.

That's kind of the point, isn't it? Same with the AxeFX.

I have a laptop dedicated to running all of my musical gears management tools ranging from my Korg Pandora PX5D, to my Roland Fantom G7, and including my Digitech GNX units and Line 6 stuff (Pod Pro XT, Vetta II, etc). I have more laptops than I know what to do with, so if that one dies I have more ready to step in and take its place. At one time my live rig consisted of a laptop control center connected to a GNX3K run through a PA. It controlled some patch changes and dynamic effects along with on the fly micro control of other parameters.

DSCF0287.jpg

I'm pretty much in the same boat, although maybe a little deeper down the rabbit's hole;

From my Laptop, I have
- USB to Behringer X32 Producer (for 32 digital channel in/out)
- USB to Axe FX II (for Axe Edit only)
- USB to DMX dongle for DMX
- USB to Keyrig synth/keyboard
- USB to Midi sport Uno which has in/out so I can trigger everything from a midi controller

I have a dedicated 5 button midi board (an old Art X-11) which I use to control it all. It's basically Start/Pause/Next/Previous/Tap Tempo.

On my Laptop I use ableton live to run a click track, and control everything else with timeline triggers sending midi PC's and CC's. For the lights I use Freestyler DMX, and yea it's slick. The purchase of the Behringer X32 Producer has been a godsend, and it's completely controllable via midi and wireless software. I don't have it fully operational yet for all our songs, but I'm almost there. Programming lights and haze for shows and no over/under doing it is a PAIN IN THE ASS. However, once all set up, playing a gig with lights in sync, effects queued only when required and backing tracks as required..... it makes for one hell of a performance and I don't have to worry about it, just play my guitar, as everything including scene changes and patch switching on the Axe FX II is done for me.

Anyways sorry to get off topic.

The purchase of the Behringer X32 Producer has been a godsend.

i just got the x32 rack and feel the same way! sorry to continue the off topic-ness, but are you using the Scenes/Cues whatever on the x32 for individual songs? i want to keep my presets/scenes to the Axe only and not also rely (and program!) the x32 Scenes.

i'm using the x32 for a band setup and have all vocals sending out on an Aux to the Axe FX Loop for Delay and Reverb that i can control from the MFC (the hardest part was finding tap tempo delay unit for vocals! i have a VoiceLive rack, but there is NO tap tempo other than the front panel - wtf is the point!? i wish the x32 had MIDI control for that and on/off!!! grrr!!!). i'll probably setup different presets for songs on my axe or add some knobs or expression pedals for real time mix control of the vox fx...

but yeah, x32 in my rack is just great! went to a rehearsal last night and there was no PA, so i just lined everyone into my x32 and used my single RCF speaker for everyone. took a bit to get things going from the front panel of the mixer, but in a pinch, i can setup a full band! (i had the wireless with me, but more hassle than it was worth for a rehearsal.)

yeah... way off topic. sorry!

Yes you are.

Just kidding. Obviously many users do not use it or use it little. I often use the front panel for quick tweaks but I find Axe-Edit indispensable and can't imagine not having it. It is where I do the vast majority of my editing and preset/IR management.

I use it exclusively. But I still familiarize myself with front panel operation in case of emergency at a gig.

I'm in the same boat but my front panel usage is pretty much limited to tweaking tones with the band. I wouldn't even know how to begin moving blocks around.

I wouldn't even know how to begin moving blocks around.

Layout, press page right, use the Value Wheel and the Cursors :)

PRO TIP - turn down all outputs on the axe first, especially if using a delay block or the Send/Return blocks. ya know, just in case you do something silly. not that i did that and blew out my hearing for a few hours. ;)

i'd suggest the same thing when moving things around on Axe-Edit too.

When it comes to learning the front panel interface or just playing through the thing, just playing always takes priority hehe.

You guys are killing me. I know I have to learn to go cold turkey (Axe Edit free) in case my computer dies at a jam/gig. It's just so damn convenient! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious if I'm the only one on this boat not using Axe Edit. I know nearly everyone here uses it constantly. I've used it once to export a ".blk" file and that was it. I use the front panel to adjust everything. I use Fractal Bot for transferring Presets, IRs, Firmware, and backing up everything. Just curious to how many don't use it and are front panel tone tweakers like me?:ugeek

Ha! I always wondered the same! Im a front tweaker. Great thread.

I use Axe-Edit frequently, but find the front panel interface just fine for occasional use. The only area I really don't like it is entering names (and the Axe-II's front-panel interface for this is much better than many). It's definitely more comfortable/ergonomic adjusting patches while sitting at the computer vs bending forward peering at the Axe-FX screen.

When I was in a band, at practice I'd use the front-panel only (although my declining vision and dark conditions sometimes made it a challenge to use).

I feel like an old man now. :)

Back
Top Bottom