Am I the only one who doesn't use Axe Edit?

ChrisMetal86

Experienced
Just curious if I'm the only one on this boat not using Axe Edit. I know nearly everyone here uses it constantly. I've used it once to export a ".blk" file and that was it. I use the front panel to adjust everything. I use Fractal Bot for transferring Presets, IRs, Firmware, and backing up everything. Just curious to how many don't use it and are front panel tone tweakers like me?:ugeek

I rarely use it. I work the from panel just fine. If I have to do a lot of little things very quickly I will use it ie changing patch names copying over some setting and moving fx around or saving a bunch of presets to new locations

I rarely use it. I work the from panel just fine. If I have to do a lot of little things very quickly I will use it ie changing patch names copying over some setting and moving fx around or saving a bunch of presets to new locations

That's a different way to look at it. But since I use the same delay, reverb, wah, and a select few IRs on all of my patches, its just as fast for me to copy the entire patch over and tweak the new amp and all its settings, change the IR if needed, then rename and save.

That's a different way to look at it. But since I use the same delay, reverb, wah, and a select few IRs on all of my patches, its just as fast for me to copy the entire patch over and tweak the new amp and all its settings, change the IR if needed, then rename and save.

I only use 3 amps and two irs right now, all fx are the same for both and I have 4 drives. The reason why I do what I do with edit is because I have two pedalboard setups. One MFC and one liquid foot jr. On my MFC set up I just use one patch 5 scenes plus 10 IA on the LF I won't use scenes so I break out my 5 scenes into 8 total presets and I have 7 IA. When I tweak the monster preset I start playing the copy and rename game on all the LF presets. Edit lets me do that really fast

I only use 3 amps and two irs right now, all fx are the same for both and I have 4 drives. The reason why I do what I do with edit is because I have two pedalboard setups. One MFC and one liquid foot jr. On my MFC set up I just use one patch 5 scenes plus 10 IA on the LF I won't use scenes so I break out my 5 scenes into 8 total presets and I have 7 IA. When I tweak the monster preset I start playing the copy and rename game on all the LF presets. Edit lets me do that really fast

That makes perfect sense the way you have your set up.

i don't use it. everything from the front panel. it's a great resource, but i don't like having to hook up to the computer just to move a block or something. it definitely has its benefits though.

My laptop has a bad power jack, just yesterday I brought it in for repair, so I've never used Axe-edit. I've acquainted myself with the front panel of my XL for the past month or so.

I've read FW15 is due for release along with a new upgraded Axe-edit. I'll start using it then.

i don't use it. everything from the front panel. it's a great resource, but i don't like having to hook up to the computer just to move a block or something. it definitely has its benefits though.

I'm the same way. That is why I would like to see more preset effects types in each effects block. I can dial in an amp tone no problem, but could definitely use some variety in the effects blocks. :)

I must be doing something wrong.
I only use Axe-Edit. And the MFC.
It seems so much more intuitive than the front panel. I suspect some people don't feel comfortable with their laptops sitting on their gear during a gig, but for practice, Axe-Edit in the only way for me.
I think if I spent a fair amount of time with the front panel I could do everything I need to do, but it's not intuitive as far as what button does what. Often I messed something up and wanted to go back and ended up messing up my config. I moved blocks around (on accident), can't find the menu I want, display makes extra works for my eyes. Too flustrating. So much easier with Axe-Edit. If I am on stage and I want more dirt, I can fix that quick enough, but other stuff, not so much..

loopie..

I got my Axe right at the beginning of the long period where AE wasn't working right with the then-current firmware (somewhere around v8 or 9). So, for the first 10 months or so, I only used the front panel to work up the 50 or so patches that I use for my cover band. When the new AE came out, I was so comfortable with the front panel, I didn't even try it until about two months ago. Now, I'm totally addicted to it. Not that it's all that much faster, but I just think it's SOOOOO much more visual and more pleasant to use. Clicking through scenes to get a sense of the various setting changes is an absolute breeze and if I ever need to compare something, I can just snap a screenshot and do a side-by-side.

My first software engineering job required me to enter code in binary through the front panel of a Univac 1616, so I still have an affinity for the front panel of the Axe. And, I'm VERY glad I know how to use it well, should something need tweaked at a gig. But in the end, I guess I'm ultimately a windows & mouse guy.

if it's a quick edit like moving a block or a quick eq tweak, of course I use the front panel...I don't think anyone is hooking up Edit to do that, lol. When experimenting, building patches from scratch or do a lot of moving around/importing/exporting...Edit is the easiest, fastest way to do it, bar-none.

Rarely use it. Always been using front panels (rack units and delays... and later fractals) so I´m quite used to the mental structure you need to develop in your head. My racksynth is the other way round though, can only be adjusted via computer. So I´m quite used to that too. Axe-edit has been non-fullfeatured (IMHO) for so long, so I´ve just left it behind until it catches up.

Then I must add that I´ve only got one laptop which gets used pretty much everyday for various tasks. Plug and unplug that everytime for everything Axe? ...nah...

I have zero use for it. I just got a new laptop and the thought of installing it never even occurred to me.

Last edited:
those that have never tried it or think they have no use for it should give a try, might totally revolutionize the way you deal with your Axe. I mean, if for nothing more than importing cabs, rearranging presets, etc. Your telling me in the same time you hook up to your computer, open fractal bot and send 1, 2, 5, 20 new cabs to the Axe you wouldn't rather open edit, go to cab manage and do it in one step?? seriously??

Like Guitarjim, I first got my Axe when there was no Axe Edit. I am perfectly happy using the front panel if needed. But for me the Axe is primarily a recording tool, and since the axe is already plugged in to the computer and I am facing that way, it makes far more sense to tweak with axe edit. Also for deep editing or building new patches the workflow is better with a bigger screen for me.

I wonder how nicely Axe Edit plays with the Slate Raven...?

When AE was out of commission for a while before AE 3 was released, I was "forced" to learn the panel. It's another way to do some things faster. Like if I wanted to spin thru some cab choices it's faster. Or roll thru presets. More options the better.

I never really liked the front panel. Axe Edit was also for me a major point in my decision to buy.

I used the front panel but prefer the GUI of Axe Edit.

Back
Top Bottom