Am I the only one who doesn't care for full range systems?

For me the stereo CLR's have pretty much kept me from going back to my 2x12 EV's. With the right IR's and low and high pass. I'm finding my own sound and not tied to a traditional cab's characteristics. I didnt feel that way with my QSC K12's though. But hey I use them for other things still. Plus what I hear sounds similar to what comes out front with a good PA. And crap, I might get forced into IEM's soon, so I'll be close anyway.

Last edited:
I don't know if I agree that most amps will sound the same coming out of one cabinet. I would think a Diezel VH4 through a Recto 4x12 would sound vastly different than a Fender Bassman through the same cabinet. Also, don't the different FRFR cabinets sound a little different from each other? Don't the active XiTone 1x12 wedge, Atomic CLR, and Friedman ASM-12 have their own characteristics that make them unique even if those differences are subtle?
I dunno...and it's just my 2 cents...but a lot of folks here really love their guitar frfr's and that's all that counts. But from a pure audio standpoint I'm sure most of the frfr rigs are not "pure" and do have a "sound". Even the hi end JBLs I bought are no match when compared to hi end audio. I don't know a lot, but I spent close to 4 years designing and building this audio system and the PAs aren't even close: http://200man.com/images/stereo/stereo_01.jpg

I have considered getting a XiTone or Atomic CLR. I have no problem dropping the coin on that. My main concern would be what the audience would hear at a gig. The FRFR would be for me only, correct?
Yes, the FRFR would only be used for your personal monitoring. You could use it as a floor wedge or as backline, but in either case, FOH will be doing all the heavy lifting, and is what the audience hears.

People get good results going direct to FOH, but in order to get there, you have to use presets that translate well to your system. The stock presets are a good starting point, but try to create your own. I make my presets on a CLR and have FOH in mind, so I'm not particularly after the "cab in the room" feeling. Whatever preset you create on a CLR at gig volume should translate quite accurately to what FOH hears.

I'm such a newbie I don't think I even know what works for me yet! :) I really don't want to use a traditional guitar cabinet. I want to utilize the full versatility the Axe FX has to offer. That being said, our other guitarist uses a VHT Pitbull 50 halfstack and the difference in fullness between our tones was substantial.
Your friend's "fullness" is probably the cab in the room. Plus, his 4x12 is probably coupling with the floor, adding to the sensation. What the audience hears is a miked cab sound, not the "cab in the room" sound (assuming his cab is miked, of course). And guess what--a miked cab sound is what the Axe FX excels at. So as far as FOH is concerned, you are both on a level playing field, so what really matters is to make presets that translate well. In order to do that, it helps to do it on a monitor that faithfully reproduces what you feed it, and do it at or near gig volume. When I first started transitioning to FRFR, all I had were near field monitors that couldn't get very loud. I thought I had made some awesome presets, until I finally tried them out on some CLRs, and discovered the presets were just gross at higher volumes.

...our other guitarist uses a VHT Pitbull 50 halfstack and the difference in fullness between our tones was substantial.

Your friend's "fullness" is probably the cab in the room. Plus, his 4x12 is probably coupling with the floor, adding to the sensation.
A frequent cause of this is dialing in your tone at less than gig volume. What sounds full at moderate volume can get buried in the mix when the band gets together.

What the audience hears is a miked cab sound, not the "cab in the room" sound (assuming his cab is miked, of course). And guess what--a miked cab sound is what the Axe FX excels at.
Yep.

When I first started transitioning to FRFR, all I had were near field monitors that couldn't get very loud. I thought I had made some awesome presets, until I finally tried them out on some CLRs, and discovered the presets were just gross at higher volumes.
Yep again. :)

I have considered getting a XiTone or Atomic CLR. I have no problem dropping the coin on that. My main concern would be what the audience would hear at a gig. The FRFR would be for me only, correct?
That all depends on how the band's sound is run but your speakers will likely just be for you.

Yes, I was referring to the FOH sound. There just seemed to be no bottom end but there was no sub in the FOH PA system.
Those PRX speakers should have plenty of low end for guitar! I imagine you might want to try and boost the low end a bit in the Amp block GEQ page. Or maybe check your cab block to see if there is a hipass set above 100Hz. What are you using to monitor yourself on stage? Also, what are you using to create your presets?

Those PRX speakers should have plenty of low end for guitar! I imagine you might want to try and boost the low end a bit in the Amp block GEQ page. Or maybe check your cab block to see if there is a hipass set above 100Hz. What are you using to monitor yourself on stage? Also, what are you using to create your presets?
I will try boosting the low end, knives. I don't have Axe Edit yet but, man, it looks really intuitive and user-friendly. I planned on getting an active XiTone 1x12 wedge or an Atomic CLR Neo to monitor myself on stage. I haven't created any presets yet. I've been using the factory presets so far (I've owned the unit for less than a week).
Yes, the FRFR would only be used for your personal monitoring. You could use it as a floor wedge or as backline, but in either case, FOH will be doing all the heavy lifting, and is what the audience hears.

People get good results going direct to FOH, but in order to get there, you have to use presets that translate well to your system. The stock presets are a good starting point, but try to create your own. I make my presets on a CLR and have FOH in mind, so I'm not particularly after the "cab in the room" feeling. Whatever preset you create on a CLR at gig volume should translate quite accurately to what FOH hears.

Your friend's "fullness" is probably the cab in the room. Plus, his 4x12 is probably coupling with the floor, adding to the sensation. What the audience hears is a miked cab sound, not the "cab in the room" sound (assuming his cab is miked, of course). And guess what--a miked cab sound is what the Axe FX excels at. So as far as FOH is concerned, you are both on a level playing field, so what really matters is to make presets that translate well. In order to do that, it helps to do it on a monitor that faithfully reproduces what you feed it, and do it at or near gig volume. When I first started transitioning to FRFR, all I had were near field monitors that couldn't get very loud. I thought I had made some awesome presets, until I finally tried them out on some CLRs, and discovered the presets were just gross at higher volumes.
Thank you very much for this response, 808. I want to go FRFR and realize I have a lot to learn regarding the intricacies of the Axe FX and modeling good presets with it.

I only use FRFR now but my favorite tone is playing through a Mesa Boogie 290 power amp going into a Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab. I have a bad back, so I had to switch to a light weight rig. I sold my Mesa Boogie 290 power amp to forum member @Brock and I think he will also agree and is happy playing through a Mesa Boogie 290 power amp and real cab.

I sold my Mesa Boogie 290 power amp to forum member @Brock and I think he will also agree and is happy playing through a Mesa Boogie 290 power amp and real cab.

Just got the Triaxis back from repair from Mesa today. I am LOVING the tone (running it through a 1x12 Recto cab).

That said, based on all the reading I've done it seems most people prefer going direct. As such I plan on getting two of FAS's direct boxes once they're released so I can go direct from my 2:90 into my soundcard and into the soundboard.

Back
Top Bottom