Am I the only one that wants a Marshall Silver Jubilee reissue?

hippietim

Axe-Master
Maybe it's just because the originals were so kick ass. Maybe it's because I got to play through Audley Freed's half stack (it was glorious if you could crank it) that he used with Cry of Love. Maybe it's because my son took my old Deluxe Reverb and the only other serious tube amp I own is an old Evil Twin (that my son wants me to keep for him too).

But damn. I want one of the 2555X Silver Jubilee heads. I still have a couple cabs. I know I won't use it much. Still...

I saw a great demo on youtube of it, and then I heard it at GC in the platinum room, and it sounded awful. Not at all like the video. YMMV.

I saw a great demo on youtube of it, and then I heard it at GC in the platinum room, and it sounded awful. Not at all like the video. YMMV.

There's no GC near me that has one but I just checked Sam Ash's site and they've got one local. I guess I need to go check one out in person.

Occasionally I lust after a JCM-800 2205, as that was what Tom Morello used, or a JCM-2000 TCL, as it seems like a very useful head. But then I figure when am I going to use one? I'm not in a band, I don't have a cab, nor I do plan to ever use an amp ever again. It's just GAS. Wanting something for the sake of wanting something. A craving I know all too well, unfortunately.

If we're throwing out random suggestions; Fender Prosonic and Randall Satan.

83927ce52881168fbef96b88c7236f46.jpg

I think I fell in love with the original '87 model when I heard Joe Bonamassa use it years ago. He used it live all the time - man that amp sounded sooo good.
The silver jub in the axe is pretty good - not one of my fav Marshall models for some reason. Seems like it takes a bit of work to make it sing.
Have only heard the re-issue on you tube - really hard to judge sound quality on there...

I wish I had the ears for tone some of you guys do. To me, Marshall’s of a given era all sound essentially the same, sans maybe a little tweak or two.

Like with the various plexi models, I just can’t really tell enough difference to feel I’d be able to appreciate another variation.

Between the existing JCM era stuff, the AFD, the Brit models, the Cameron, Friedman’s etc, i just don’t think I’d hear a difference.

Not knocking anyone who does, or saying there isn’t a difference, I just can’t hear it.

Same goes with many Fender models for that matter....:

Don’t get me wrong, choice is great, but how do you really pick between so many similar options as is ?

I was just listening to "Brother" this evening; I love these guys. Audley's tone and playing were incredible on that album. I would have never guessed he was using a silver jubilee. And I must say that Kelly Holland was an incredible vocalist. What a great band...

I was just listening to "Brother" this evening; I love these guys. Audley's tone and playing were incredible on that album. I would have never guessed he was using a silver jubilee. And I must say that Kelly Holland was an incredible vocalist. What a great band...

I believe Audley used an Ecstasy on that. The guy that produced Brother is local here - I should ask him.

Kelly Holland was awesome. He used to play drums and sing in a local cover band here until shortly before he died. A buddy of mine worked on some material with Kelly that never got released - the stuff I heard was way cool.

My Jubilee is the only amp I kept. I have the 50 Watt head. The very early first modeled version that was in the Axe Fx II was actually modeled off of my head. Cliff bought his own since then. The funny thing is, I never use that model in the Axe Fx. I use a Plexi instead. I've never played through a real Plexi. Something very ironic about that.

I bought my Jubilee almost 25 years ago. It was the only Marshall head that the music store had, so that's the only reason I bought it. I had no idea what it was, what was different about it, or who used one. And it was the first tube head I bought. I had an Amp VH-140C before that. I ended up picking up a 100 watt version as a backup, and I even head the Slash version for a while (not the new one, the old signature amp). The fun thing with a Jubilee is that you can crank the bass way up. I often ran bass wide open and trebble and mid around 6. Keep the presence low, if I remember correctly. I think I need to dust the Jubilee off and crank it up again.

Yeh, I would love to know. Great, great tone on that album - and killer playing. We used to play "Hand Me Down" way back. I was jamming along with that album just today using one of the 50 watt marshall sims on the axe II and was sounding pretty close. What a great band - So sad about Kelly, he was truly gifted.

Hey guys, doesn't the jubilee have diode clipping in the pre=amp? Yep, just checked. I worked on one of these years ago and thought I remembered it had those diodes in the pre-amp section.

Reactions: Fro
Back
Top Bottom