Am I the Only One Not Using High or Low Cuts Anymore?

I stopped using hi/low cuts in the cab block, at least for live use, as soon as I started using only far-field IRs which happened a few months ago, so didn't notice much difference with FW10 in that regard.

I should add I've almost always done 57+121 mixes. With the Axe 3 I've been using factory Ownhammer Marshall 4x12's with 57 and 121 but recently loaded up the York M25 57+121.

I should add I've almost always done 57+121 mixes. With the Axe 3 I've been using factory Ownhammer Marshall 4x12's with 57 and 121 but recently loaded up the York M25 57+121.

If you like YA (and I absolutely do) - I'd recommend checking out Vahalla too, recent discovery for me - and they're a stunning partner (no affiliation)

I use them all the time, at the same time, filters fighting each other is the audio A1 sauce. Between the IR high pass at 8k and the cab preamp high pass at 12k it's studio-perfect every time...no matter what the clown dialing the amp does to the tone knobs...

I never really used the cuts to begin with. My philosophy for dialing in tones is that I don't do anything that I wouldn't do with a traditional rig.

I find low and high cutting necessary when playing live. I set a PEQ block, right before the Out block, with a low cut set at 80hz and high cut set at 6000 to 8000hz, with a gradual slope, depending on FOH setup. This tightens up the guitar and keeps it from getting lost in the mix a little better. But I'm sure studio settings may be diffeent. I can also tweak live, by adjusting or disabling, if needed.

As much as i like full guitar tone , pretty much every soundguy lowcuts it before doing anything else. I usually have to ask to go easy on a low cut since i already have some lowcut dialed in.

That's because the tone is not organic as other types of sounds, even a clean tone, because of magnetic pick-ups.

My go to has always been a 57 and either a 121 or 421, and by default I've always adjusted the low and hi cuts. I'll have to play around with this as I haven't had much time since updating to 10.02

Played about with most of the amps in the box this morning and the only ones that still need a cut IMHO are the rectos

@FractalAudio The only time I use low cuts any more is with IRs using an Audix D6 on 15 inch cabs now.

That mic captures just a ridiculous amount of low end on such sized cabs no matter what you do, except really backing it off distance-wise. Backing it off that much makes the IR lose most of its punch IMHO.

I took a little time off due to personal problems. When I came back and loaded 10 everything sounds wonky. I will look at my cuts later today but I almost feel it's time to start from scratch with my amp tones. Probably stupid on my end a I will have to go back and remember all the little tricks I've learned over the years from Cliff, Leon, Yek and others, that I seriously haven't thought about since the day I made my amps global blocks. Sounds daunting but dont know what else there is to do. I wish we had a master thread of every tone tweak trick that we've learned over the years from the forum that has become commonplace amongst the users. And then I will need to think thru my cab tricks n tweaks as well as IEM's. backline, and FOH outputs...... Guess it's time to dig in:confused:

I've had to revisit all mine since 10 as well, has been absolutely worth it.

Had a spare couple of hours - so I've just gone through my presets, and YES!!!!!!

Took high cut and low cut (normally 6700 and 60-ish) off everything.

For some presets that meant changing smoothing a little or the amp a tiny bit - but absolutely worth it, guitar sounds much more open an 'real' in a way.

In a band setting I'd maybe add some low cut if I needed to make space - but for at home, wow!

The high end is so much better now, thanks!

The ML IRs I'm using don't have much that needs cutting as I can see when attaching the RTA after the Cab block.

However, I just recently adjusted the high cut for 1 of the 2 IRs in my cab block (first time using the per-IR hi/low cuts and totally cool!). It helped get a better mix of the 2 IRs, which are an M160 and SM57 on the same cab/speaker.

The 160 + 57 combo works well for me.

I took a little time off due to personal problems. When I came back and loaded 10 everything sounds wonky. I will look at my cuts later today but I almost feel it's time to start from scratch with my amp tones. Probably stupid on my end a I will have to go back and remember all the little tricks I've learned over the years from Cliff, Leon, Yek and others, that I seriously haven't thought about since the day I made my amps global blocks. Sounds daunting but dont know what else there is to do. I wish we had a master thread of every tone tweak trick that we've learned over the years from the forum that has become commonplace amongst the users. And then I will need to think thru my cab tricks n tweaks as well as IEM's. backline, and FOH outputs...... Guess it's time to dig in:confused:

One of the nice things is it seems there's less stuff that needs to be tweaked over time. The big thing I can think now is the new gain enhancer on the amp dynamics tab.

For me, I still use that Lo Cut in Cab Block, usually to get rid of anything under 100Hz but sometimes up to 150Hz, if the IR is boomy on bottom but great elsewhere ... the Hi Cut is less necessary but sometimes help with vintage amp to cut out stuff above 6kHz or so.

I still use hi/lo cuts because I practice mostly at night w/ headphones on to not wake the baby up. The cuts help minimize ear fatigue a ton and using the enhancer block + fw 10 gain enhancer makes practicing with headphones awesome.

The Axe3 is the only modeler I've owned where, through headphones, you can still experience that blooming feedback you get when playing an amp loud.

@FractalAudio I know the FM3 will be missing some amp block settings. Will it have the gain enhancer options?

I always use Low cuts from around 80 to 120 and high cuts in the 7500 to 10,000 range. I’ve always used the 57 and 121 combo as it’s my favorite setup and I have a few different blocks saved w different brand cabs depending on the main amp setup

Is the question mostly about the cab block? I rarely use any cuts there, but I almost always use a low cut feeding delays or reverbs to avoid too much low-end buildup from repeats.
I assume you mean the EQ section within the Delay or Reverb as opposed before?

Back
Top Bottom