Am I the only one? (AXE's screen and Helix content)

I feel like the people who're are clamoring for a high tech fancy pants screen want it so OTHER people think their gear is cool... which is kind of irrelevant.

I hate the Axe FX screen with a passion. It is true that Axe-Edit helps me avoid the torture of seeing it too often. Sometimes it's not available, and that's painful. It's slow, very low res, and it makes the front panel UI clumsy and inefficient. I don't give a damn about color, but displays in the 21st century have to be fast and high res.

Can I live with it though? Easily.

What makes my life truly miserable though is the display on the MFC. Cause that's what I NEED to look at. And I can't even use the tuner there really. So for AX8 it's a much bigger deal than for AFX. But there some UI tricks could alleviate the problem. Like on most processors with crappy displays there's a mode when they show current preset in big letters. Don't know if AX8 has that.

I am a real man because I use an electric shaver with a single light that indicates when the battery needs to be recharged. Those teenagers using shavers with a LED strip or a LCD display have no idea about the true quality of a good shaving; they are only attracted to fancy lights and cool graphics. If they ever manufactured a rusted razor blade with an amoled iPad style display, they would surely buy it. What are they thinking? Do they expect to see a 4k movie at their shaving machine?

:lol

sensotouch3d.jpg

:devilish:

I am a real man because my car only has 3 lamps that let me know when the oil level is down, when the engine is at melting point, and when the battery is close to death. Those kids buying cars with computers and hi-tech instrument panels in technicolor have no idea about how a good motor is supposed to sound. They do not even know how to repair their own car!

article-2636677-1E1F313F00000578-739_634x647.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like the people who're are clamoring for a high tech fancy pants screen want it so OTHER people think their gear is cool... which is kind of irrelevant.

Did you really just say this? If it's even a LITTLE bit true than some people have a real fricken problem, but either way.... Ew.

No piece of gear is perfect. The face of the Axefx is inconvenient for me because am a tall guy with big hands. Turning the abcd knobs and navigating the screen is a hassle for me, so I use axe edit. The very best processor in the world? Yup. But honestly I'm getting a HELIX for ease of use/mobility factors. It having a huge display that ABSOLUTELY DWARFS the Axefx display isn't a major factor but it is a factor. I will never sell my Axefx and I can't see a day where I don't go downstairs and use it, but I think there is room for improvement here.
The joystick/button on Helix is awesome. A button that gets you to your Tonestack immediately is awesome. The general layout is....awesome. I believe that fractal could incorporate these things into newer versions of the Axefx in the future, but thankfully they have spent their time making the best audio device in modern history.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The crazy TGP thread about double-edged safety razors swayed me...

Now I'm a real man! lol

And, you see, the AX8 comes with a safety rail and looks very sharp, to me.

I am a real man because I use an electric shaver with a single light that indicates when the battery needs to be recharged. Those teenagers using shavers with a LED strip or a LCD display have no idea about the true quality of a good shaving; they are only attracted to fancy lights and cool graphics. If they ever manufactured a rusted razor blade with an amoled iPad style display, they would surely buy it. What are they thinking? Do they expect to see a 4k movie at their shaving machine?

sensotouch3d.jpg

I am a real man because my car only has 3 lamps that let me know when the oil level is down, when the engine is at melting point, and when the battery is close to death. Those kids buying cars with computers and hi-tech instrument panels in technicolor have no idea about how a good motor is supposed to sound. They do not even know how to repair their own car!

article-2636677-1E1F313F00000578-739_634x647.jpg

A real man uses his battle axe to shave (or rather trim his beard). The same axe he uses to chop his enemies' heads off as a day job. He doesn't play guitar into a fancy electronic device, pshhh..

I am another fan of the green LCD screen, takes me back to my dad's yamaha RM1X sequencer from the 90s, i loved that thing, I find computer screens distracting and takes away from being inspired musically.

I especially like it when I am dialling in a tone and I look like some mad scientist to anyone who is watching.

AxeEdit is a totally cool and easy to use UI, I see no need for anything more.

Obviously the RAC12 is cool as F&@% but I see it as more of a luxury than necessity

The simple green, utilitarian screen in the AFX always reminded of a Nascar dashboard...no frills, just the facts/info without 'bling'...attention, resources, and development effort placed where it's essential (engine, aerodynamics...or in the case of the AFX, DSP/audio hardware and modelling algorithms) to the operation/performance of the primary functions which are state of the art. I've never had an issue with the display and appreciate the fact that I didn't have to pay extra $$$ for 'bling' as a fancy screen wouldn't enhance the utility/functionality of the AFX in any way.

First they want a color touchscreen, then they want it bigger! Bands playing with Flatscreen tvs on stage? No silly, it's their gear!

Fractal green FTW

Lets talk workflow.

FX8 to change the feedback on a delay.
turn nav knob until you get to the delay block, push edit button, push page button one time, use nav to navigate to feedback, turn value knob to change feedback.

Helix to change the feedback on a delay.
touch delay button, turn feedback knob to change value
----------------------------------------------------
FX8 to change the high cut on a reverb.
turn nav knob until you get to the reverb block, push edit button, push page button two times, turn nav knob to select high cut, use value knob to change the high cut value.

Helix to change the high cut on a reverb.
touch reverb button, turn high cut knob to change value.

Lets talk workflow.

FX8 to change the feedback on a delay.
turn nav knob until you get to the delay block, push edit button, push page button one time, use nav to navigate to feedback, turn value knob to change feedback.

Helix to change the feedback on a delay.
touch delay button, turn feedback knob to change value
----------------------------------------------------
FX8 to change the high cut on a reverb.
turn nav knob until you get to the reverb block, push edit button, push page button two times, turn nav knob to select high cut, use value knob to change the high cut value.

Helix to change the high cut on a reverb.
touch reverb button, turn high cut knob to change value.
Presets... Scenes... Adjusting stuff on the fly on stage is unprofessional and usually a bad idea.
If you're talking studio... Are you really gonna track with a Helix?
For practice, it's ok to learn to tweak.

Presets... Scenes... Adjusting stuff on the fly on stage is unprofessional and usually a bad idea.
If you're talking studio... Are you really gonna track with a Helix?
For practice, it's ok to learn to tweak.

Who said anything about adjusting stuff on the fly on stage?

The green screen reminds me of my old Yamaha FX500!
I had a lot of fun with that little unit.
I bought one for effects after hearing some effects being used on a Morbid Angel album back in the day, I think it might have been 'Covenant,' not sure.

Completely agree with the first post. All I care about is the sound. I don't care about fancy screens.
That's called "make do". It's not better, it's what you got. Will it do the job? Yes, it will.
I'm sure the design team would have preferred the "fancy" screen though, even if you don't care about it.

Back
Top Bottom