Am I the only one? (AXE's screen and Helix content)

I'm with the OP. If any company makes a crappy processor with an "Ipad" styled screen, there's tons of guys that are gonna go crazy for that. There is people that fall for things like that. It's like people who buy chinese guitar replicas, they will insist in how similar the look (and the placebo affects ears as well) and how they really sound great. Eyes shouldn't decide over something that mainly makes sounds. It's like shaking a painting close to your ear to see it.
The developments within the AxeII have been great since they aim at sound-quality, tone and feel.
The other companies, well, let's say they made a cuter screen with an "easier" UI.
Yet I still think you have Axedit (easier, cuter, stable) for those who feel intimidated by our green screen.
I'm quicker with the front panel, since I mostly sit close to the Axe and the Axe is at eye-level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If any company makes a crappy processor with an "Ipad" styled screen, there's tons of guys that are gonna go crazy for that. There is people that fall for things like that. It's like people who buy chinese guitar replicas, they will insist in how similar the look (and the placebo affects ears as well) and how they really sound great. Eyes shouldn't decide over something that mainly makes sounds. It's like shaking a painting close to your ear to see it.
The developments within the AxeII have been great since they aim at sound-quality, tone and feel.
The other companies, well, let's say they made a cuter screen with an "easier" UI.
Yet I still think you have Axedit (easier, cuter, stable) for those who feel intimidated by our green screen.
I'm quicker with the front panel, since I mostly sit close to the Axe and the Axe is at eye-level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So having lights on the knobs of the AX8 is good, but if it had a "better" screen and UI that would clearly be an attempt to appeal to shallow, ignorant a-holes. Got it. :D
-
Austin

Last edited:
You will be confortable on a chair, using pc editors both on the Helix and the AXE/AX8. I can't see my self bent over for 10 minutes making patches on a Helix. Same goes for the AX-8

FWIW - I make my chairs as uncomfortable as possible ;) kidding... But really it's difficult to be comfy with a guitar in hand sometimes... With that said, I agree with you. Axe-Edit is really the selling point for me on FAS products. Laptop > AFX II > Guitar > Tones 4 dayz.....

Also, the AX8 is precisely what Cliff described it as: "a stripped down floor model at an aggressive price". It's design (IMHO) is to be a gateway FAS device for the more entry level market. It is both the ideal device for many, and a device that will perpetuate the digital pioneering in musical space for artists who are tired of purchasing tubes for their amps around the world.

I have not seen the Helix in person, but the customizable foot switch labels are really cool. The FX8 screen is a bit hard to read, as it's black on green.

I use Axe-Edit 90% of the time anyway. That said, a couple years back Axe-Edit was no longer compatible with the firmware updates & was being completely rewritten. That forced me to use the green screen. For me, that was a great thing - if I'm at a gig & need to make an on-the-fly tweak, it's effortless. Considering the tones I get from the Axe, I'll take the green screen any day.

That is a great point.

I think the AX8 has it right in that respect too. Seems easy enough to dial up good presets without too much work. Having the amp controls right there is so smart! So basically, there are just a lot less controls on the unit itself, which I think is a very good thing (less hardware to break).

With the Helix, anyone who wants to add 3rd party IRs (and really get the most out of it) will still need work outside the unit itself. FAS has certainly made that task easy on the Axe FX. I expect it's no different with the Ax8.

The scribble screens are just common sense moving forward though. It will be interesting to see if there's a new MFC controller on the horizon. Otherwise, there are good units that offer that perk along with assignable buttons and hold for X/Y. The AX8 has a screen to indicate buttons, which a great way to handle things.

By itself, the screen is not a huge deal but IMO, the UI is a major step forward. If that enables an unsophisticated user to dial in a better sound because he's not intimidated by the device, then it's hard to dismiss the screen as simply eye candy.

You know I posted the ax8 run down on another site and one person said that the helix was miles better and better well built, but didnt really give me any thing to back up their claim. And then they said the screen on the ax8 is a shitty LCD. Well for one you can actually see the green when it is dark because green doesnt eat into your night vision. I also dont know how the helix will behave when it is actually gigged. I think people who havent used an axe fx before are more worried about how these units look and not how they sound.

Agreed!

I just see a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles, honestly. But, to each their own.

I'm still interested in checking out a Helix when it's in stock at the GC.

I think the green display is totally badass. Not only is it my favorite color, but it's just so high tech looking, like I'm operating heavy machinery. Like most of you, I almost always use Axe-Edit so most of the interface issues are moot.

Poster 1: AX8 is the best thing ever and can't be touched by anything in this mortal realm!

Poster 2: I don't know, it seems like other devices should also be able to yield excellent sounds in the hands of a competent user.

Poster 1: Why you gotta be hatin' on Fractal bro?

:D
-
Austin

there is a lot of thruth to this post! haha

I think the green display is totally badass. Not only is it my favorite color, but it's just so high tech looking, like I'm operating heavy machinery. Like most of you, I almost always use Axe-Edit so most of the interface issues are moot.

High tech? Maybe in an Escape From New York kinda way... It's perfectly visible and 100% functional and I'm not bagging on it... But, I'd never call it high tech though.

I don't know guys, I'll be spending more time looking at the front row of an audience, my band mates on stage or my guitar fretboard than the screen. Whether it's on the AX8 or the AxeFx.

Todays audience seems to be looking down at their phones then the actual concert.

most concerts I have went to lately most of the audience are recording with there phones, I guess so they can post on you tube.

The green screen serves its purpose. Editing in general on the Axefx isn't convenient, which is why axeedit is so handy...
The Helix looks like an amazing product and I can't wait to own one. The display is super sharp and Does make a difference to me. How fast you can edit sounds, task foot switches, label items, FOUR effects loops!!, and a solid build... Make no mistake, Line6 came correct on this release.. I haven't played one yet but other than the Axefx this is the only product I didn't need to to buy one..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yo know wat dis needs, dawg?
More screens!

Pimp_My_Ride_logo.jpg

Question for ZAPA : Do you own a Fractal Audio product ? Seams like all your posts are against fractal products...Prove me I'm wrong
1.- No, I don't, but I might.
2.- No, they are not. Work on your reading comprehension.
3.- I don't have to prove anything. I'm sure these fora offer you the chance to look for everything I've posted (21 posts shouldn't take long), and you can see that you are wrong all by yourself.
Since I don't want you to get a headache, here's post #8 on this same thread. You just had to scroll up...
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/105099-am-i-only-one-axes-screen-helix-content.html#post1257407
Jesus F Christ, that's me defending the screen some others were bashing!!! Oh noes!

I don't worship manufacturers or idolize CEOs, that's all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom