Am I the only one? (AXE's screen and Helix content)

Raab90

Inspired
I actually like the green LCD screen.
Always liked it ever since I dreamt about having an AXE in my POD X3 days. You know, how the graphs and numbers look like with the green light.
Maybe it's because I'm an engineer, but I like small and efficient things. It's sexy.

On a side note, regarding the AX-8 Helix debate,

Is the UI in the Helix really that an important factor when it comes to editing? I mean, be it a colorful 5000x5000 or a TI-89 LCD screen, It's not like u're gonna do all the deep editing with the front panel. You will be confortable on a chair, using pc editors both on the Helix and the AXE/AX8.
I can't see my self bent over for 10 minutes making patches on a Helix. Same goes for the AX-8

Front panels are for quick on-the-go editing, maybe adding a block or adjusting some simple parameters. I mean, if you're playing live and u realize that you don't like the cab's resonance freq or some deep stuff like that, ure pretty much fecked and ull have to deal with it for the rest of the show, it's not like the audience is gonna notice anyways. It's a different story if u're lacking on mids though, but it wouldn't take any more than 10 seconds in adding more mids on each.

Besides, when too many things look good, too many things can go wrong imo. Keep it simple. Also, I'd be a bit scared having my dog poo and whatnot infested shoes near that screen.

So far yes, you are the only one.

I don't like the screen personally. There are much better options available these days. But if it adds $200 to the price and 6 months to the release than I'll pass thanks. Function > form in this case. However if it's an extra $50 and no difference to the ship date? Bring it.

I wouldn't take lower sound quality over a better screen though.

The main screen on the helix I can take or leave. I think the button screens showing what is assigned is a good feature.

I love the green screen, it looks great on stage, it's easy to use for quick edits, it gives me every bit of info I need at a glance, and it's easily recognizable.

But like you, I'd rather edit from a computer, no matter what I'm editing. I have a midi pedal I have to edit on the floor, nope. It doesn't matter how many quick knobs, or any of that junk are on the front either, that's just more crap that can get broken at a gig. I have never found an instance where my Axe needed to be edited on stage. I get all that working like I want it at home.

I used to run sound, I hated it when musicians decided to jack with their crap on stage, it always completely trashed my work, and they almost always picked mid set to decide they didn't have something tweaked right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever I use, I edit and then tweak at home. For me, the screen is there to know what's going on with the presets, show me a clear and precise tuner and indicate any posible unit failure. And I have to be able to read that standing (I'm 1.86m tall).
If that screen can do this, it's good enough. If not, then it's not.

I think the green screen is fine. I cant see the screen wile playing anyways while the axe is in the rack. To me the images I have seen of the Helix the screen looks like a kids video game. lets keep pro gear for pros, let the kids play with kids toys. as for the pretty switch labels if you are playing live under stage lighting you better know where your switches are, I do not believe you would have time to read scribble strips before you make your choice of switch.

Anyone who considers the screen worthy of consideration when sizing these up has missed the point. It's only the tone that matters and if you are a Helix user and your bandmate comes over with an AX-8 chances are pretty good you're going to spend the night staring at your lovely screen instead of enjoying your tone.

I think the AX-8 is sharp with the green screen and the green indicator lights around the knobs.

The helix interface is nice too but bending over while playing live to adjust anything is a PITA and pretty really doesn't help in that situation.

I only use the front panel rarely use axe edit. And I feel like I'm stuck in the 80's. I'm sure even cliff when he saw helix said, oh shit. If it sounds half as good as it looks, better than the hd500 it will sell like hotcakes.

if you are a Helix user and your bandmate comes over with an AX-8 chances are pretty good you're going to spend the night staring at your lovely screen instead of enjoying your tone.
I won't be so daring to say that I KNOW, but my guess is that wouldn't be the case. I'm pretty sure both units can and will provide excellent sounds.

Question for ZAPA : Do you own a Fractal Audio product ? Seams like all your posts are against fractal products...Prove me I'm wrong

Anyone who considers the screen worthy of consideration when sizing these up has missed the point. It's only the tone that matters and if you are a Helix user and your bandmate comes over with an AX-8 chances are pretty good you're going to spend the night staring at your lovely screen instead of enjoying your tone.
By itself, the screen is not a huge deal but IMO, the UI is a major step forward. If that enables an unsophisticated user to dial in a better sound because he's not intimidated by the device, then it's hard to dismiss the screen as simply eye candy.

Question for ZAPA : Do you own a Fractal Audio product ? Seams like all your posts are against fractal products...Prove me I'm wrong

Poster 1: AX8 is the best thing ever and can't be touched by anything in this mortal realm!

Poster 2: I don't know, it seems like other devices should also be able to yield excellent sounds in the hands of a competent user.

Poster 1: Why you gotta be hatin' on Fractal bro?

:D
-
Austin

Back
Top Bottom