Am I setting my gate wrong?

check the release time of the gate
when you palm mute, the note stops suddenly but the gate will remain open for a little time... squeak.. then closes.. no squeak..

if you have a strong reverb level, or strong 'room' level in the amp block, the reverb tail will help hold the gate open for a little longer..

rather than gate like crazy or kill your reverb.. maybe try this..

- back off the reverb / amp: room level just a little
- shorten the gate's release time just a little
- increase the gate's ratio just a little
- create just a little more distance between you and the monitors / cabs

hopefully, the net effect of these little changes will mitigate this feedback but without making any alterations to your preset's tone or feel in a noticeable way..

I'm not using any reverb, and the room level is whatever the default is. I'll try a shorter release time though at the next practice, thanks!

Okay, I suggest you post a patch. Ive had guys tell me everything is fine, they send me their patch and there is WAY TOO MUCH GAIN.
Yes even seasoned metal guys some times cant build a decent metal/high gain patch.
I wont name any names. :)

Okay, I suggest you post a patch. Ive had guys tell me everything is fine, they send me their patch and there is WAY TOO MUCH GAIN.
Yes even seasoned metal guys some times cant build a decent metal/high gain patch.

or a fair bit of gain with a drive and / or comp block in front of the amp block will do it too

I will post a patch here this week. No high gain. I am not a metal guy at all.

Had a similar problem with one of my Les Pauls (Darkfire). Was getting a really high pitched feedback, mostly on gainy patches but even on some of the cleaner ones.

Way I solve it was by adding a PEQ block at the end of the chain, finding the frequency that was feeding back (mine was just over 2k), setting the Q to minimum (10) and dropping it by a couple of DB, or until feedback was controlled. This fixed the feedback and barely affected the tone.

Hope this helps.

Promised to send some presets which cause feedback. The second (Shiva) is a medium gain setting on the Shiva amp. This is my basic 'go to' sound. The first is a more high gain setting I use for a band I have to fill in.
Tried that first preset (Metallsquerade) yesterday and as soon I open my guitar (a Strat) volume it starts feedbacking really heavily. With the other musician being silent, so just guitar. Very annoying and uncontrollable. Tried different guitars. We don't play really loud. I think my settings are not unusual and pretty standard.
Hope someone can load them in and help me. I am still on FW 5.7.

Attachments

• Metallsquerade.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Shiva.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I have a feeling as to why ConnorGilks is or was having problems after reading his "Guide to Djent tone" blog deal. The spike in PEQ at 1.4k is sizeable as is, but running the compressor with the OD with the level knob being up in the slightest is going to do it. Even with hard gate settings I was still feeding back, and that was at bedroom level. Can't imagine what gig/practice volume would be like. I would lose the compressor altogether. I don't think you need it in the axe to achieve a djent tone, imo.

have you tried setting the attack and release completely counter clockwise (set to zero) that is the most gated you cna get (and would not want if playing lead) but I'd use that as a starting point so see if it helps.

I have a feeling as to why ConnorGilks is or was having problems after reading his "Guide to Djent tone" blog deal. The spike in PEQ at 1.4k is sizeable as is, but running the compressor with the OD with the level knob being up in the slightest is going to do it. Even with hard gate settings I was still feeding back, and that was at bedroom level. Can't imagine what gig/practice volume would be like. I would lose the compressor altogether. I don't think you need it in the axe to achieve a djent tone, imo.

What do you mean "sizeable as is"? I never even gave a number to boost it by. :lol There is no boost in the 1.4kHz in my patch. In fact there is no boosting of any frequencies anywhere than the 3-band EQ in the amp block and the presence control. Nothing in the Amp's GEQ, nothing in my PEQ block. Only cutting.

Interesting... I've used more severe settings on the OD Level and the Compressor using a real rig before and gotten significantly less feedback than I am getting with my AxeFX. Bummer, since I really like what both those things are doing for my tone. But for the record, I turned off the compressor and still had issues. Will try dropping the Level on the OD and see what happens... cheers! :)

Then why do we have a compressor in the Axe II? When using normal pedals or other rack gear it is also very common to use a compressor in combination with drive. Why should this be a problem in the Axe fx?
Did anyone tried to load my presets? see my previous post....

Then why do we have a compressor in the Axe II? When using normal pedals or other rack gear it is also very common to use a compressor in combination with drive. Why should this be a problem in the Axe fx?
Did anyone tried to load my presets? see my previous post....

Not to mention the thousands of people who do it with no issue ever since this whole djent fad came into being. If loads of guys can do it with all analog gear, I should be able to do it with the AxeFX II, right?

Here are some of my findings after experimenting tonight at bedroom levels:

I tried to use some of the previous suggestions like lowering the Release on the gate and lowering the Level on my drive block at bedroom volumes, just to see if I can get my same tone at low volumes, then test it louder and band practice later. I tried lowering the Level on the Drive block (which again, I shouldn't have to do if I don't need to in real life...) and it sucked ALL the tightness and life out of my tone as soon as it was below 7.5-8. I tried to make it up with gain on the amp, it just was not the same tone (again, which makes sense as the same would happen in real life). No matter what I tried my tone just sounded very flubby, loose and lifeless. YET AGAIN I SAY, THIS IS WHAT I EXPECTED AS IT'S JUST THE SAME SCENARIO IN REAL LIFE. The overdrive does what it is supposed to do, on the settings I'm supposed to use. I don't see why anything I'm doing is so hard for the unit to handle when I can get away with the same thing with an amp and pedal setup. ):

Here's my patch:
Djent FAS ModernISSUES.syx

Things To Note:
- Comp Block = Ratio set on 2, which is very low, and I've tried different thresholds with similar issues at any level
- Drive Block = Drive on 0, Level on 10 (VERY common for all types of metal to do this)
- Amp Block = Drive on 1.10, not an excess amount of Treble, no boosting in the GEQ
- Cab Block = I bypass this as I play through an Avatar 2x12 with V30's
- PEQ Block = +2db boost at 1.4kHz. Again, extremely common in metal of this type and should not be an issue, in theory.

I can do it with my Axe FX II, with no feedback at all. But you can't set things in the Axe just as you would in real life. They aren't 100% transferrable to the same specs. For instance the FAS Modern isn't even a real amp. Unique in it's own right.

Now, if the problem isn't in your power amp, or a bad cable, then you have messed with a global setting by accident in the Axe FX, or you have a faulty unit.

Just my two cents don't if it's been said already, I had some great patches that sounded great but were noisy, but I was always a guitar on ten guy so I fought with the levels in the axe to no avail. I've since been turning my volume knob down just enough to clean up the noise a bit and wham great patch. Like I said this is probably commonly known but I missed that class I guess. But anyway the volume knob really makes some nice changes with the axe fx so dont be like me and stay on ten try turning down a little.... big changes!

Just my two cents don't if it's been said already, I had some great patches that sounded great but were noisy, but I was always a guitar on ten guy so I fought with the levels in the axe to no avail. I've since been turning my volume knob down just enough to clean up the noise a bit and wham great patch. Like I said this is probably commonly known but I missed that class I guess. But anyway the volume knob really makes some nice changes with the axe fx so dont be like me and stay on ten try turning down a little.... big changes!

Don't understand your post. Exactly what volume knob are you talking about? front panel volume, master volume, something else?

Still curious what you guys think of my presets as for feedback problems. Some asked for my presets so I hope they can give me some new insights....

Attachments

• Shiva.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Metallsquerade.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
Has no one come up with any ideas? Only a couple people have downloaded my patch and still no answers. I may have to contact Fractal support over this one.

I have very similar problems dude. Can't seem to pin point the problem.
At my practices, my feedback is fine to start with, then as time goes by it gets worse. I may record a video of it to see what people think. Anyone experienced feedback related to time?

Back
Top Bottom