Am I setting my gate wrong?

I use hi-gain.. play pretty loud and I'm ok...

gate thresh = -75
gate ratio = 3.0
instr level = 65.1

when playing at high volumes, be mindful of excessive high / low eq levels and very strong reverb levels [especially long reverbs]

also note that the gate settings are saved with the preset..
so you can gate harder on the hi-gain presets, and gentler on the clean ones...
that is a very very cool feature with the Axe...
it means you don't have to settle for a 'one size fits all' gate

I play high gain, at intolerably loud volumes with absolutely 0 feedback. I know it's within the capabilities of the unit. Unless you happen to have a defective one. But even if it were defective, why would EVERYTHING else work, but that one aspect.

I play high gain, at intolerably loud volumes with absolutely 0 feedback. I know it's within the capabilities of the unit. Unless you happen to have a defective one. But even if it were defective, why would EVERYTHING else work, but that one aspect.
]

Then why do you some people (including me) have so much feedback trouble? As I said in my last post pickups are good (tried different guitars), power amp is good. No feedback trouble on other equipment. No strange settings in the Axe. No really high gain. No high volumes. No long reverbs etc.

what speakers / monitors do you use, and where are they placed with respect to your floor controller?

Which gate are you using? I have had much better success with disabling the gate in the Input section and adding a GateExp block straight after the amp block before the speaker block (which I assume you have removed) or any other effects. I use sidechain set to Input 1 with frequencies set to 200/6000Hz. Most of my high gain presets run a threshold of -60db but on some of the heavily palm muted stuff I run -32dB which i pulled from Mark Day's HBE preset.

Had this problem-

By chance are you using covers on your PUPs? If so, this is the culprit. You'll need to take the covers off and put some putty along the top edges and center of the PUPS to "adhere" to the covers and keep the covers from "ringing".

I have chrome covers on one of my geets, "opened" across the poles. Squealed/fedback like a bitch, shoved some shelf liner under the edges (didn't have to remove 'em 'cause like i said they were open across the poles) and voila! No more feedback (other than the creamy, controllable awesome kind).

The other thing could be the PUPS themselves- Cold Sweats are incredibly trebly- https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=contemporary&pickup=cold_sweat

what speakers / monitors do you use, and where are they placed with respect to your floor controller?

I am using two mesa boogie Thiele EVM12 cabs in stereo. Positioned on the floor about 2 or 3 meters from my MCF-101.
I am using the standard gate that is used in the Axe fx as default.

And for the pickups: my guitars don't give any feedback problem on other gear. Only when I use the Axe II.

No, I haven't used these cabs with other gear only Axe II. But I think I have used the Axe also on another combo amp with same volume and also had feedback troubles.

Do you have another amp with a similar tone that you can try with the cabs in the same position and volume?

Just to respond to what's been said here:

- I have tried several guitars, same issue all around.
- I do not have pickup covers.
- The wiring is just fine in all my guitars.
- I have tried using the input gate only, the gate block only, and both blocks. Same issue.
- I am not standing in front of my back, there are no microphones nearby.
- I am using an Avatar 2x12 cab with V30's, my footswitch is in front and to the side of the cab.

This is getting ridiculous, considering all the things this unit can do, yet it can't prevent feedback on such a low-gain preset at medium-loud volumes.

may sound a bit obvious, but if you're playing at very high volumes you need to get much further from the cab

and if you're using wedge monitors in front of you maybe try to get them a little wider apart, a little further away and not pointing them right at you, rather a little past you

i have a similar thibg too. but its more of a squeek cherp after i stop or sometimes when im still playing. ill keep an eye on this too!

i have a similar thibg too. but its more of a squeek cherp after i stop or sometimes when im still playing. ill keep an eye on this too!

I get that with very hi-gain presets that have large reverb tails [like soloing presets] when playing at quite a solid volume..
you need to gate a little harder
if the gating gets to the point where it's hurting the sound / feel of your preset
back off the reverb's wet level a little and maybe back off a little gain [amp: drive / dist: drive]
and if you have a compressor in there too, back that off a little
so rather than change one thing by a lot [which may goof up your tone], change a couple of things by a little
then you can gate a little more gently..

I was having this issue but only w a Crown XLS1500, so I returned it bc the amp was clearly used and not brand new and wouldn't be the first time I've received a broken or returned item from Musicians friend. I ended up getting a XLS2000 bc it was on sale for the same price as the XLS1500 and that fixed my issues

Not to be offensive or anything, but maybe its a technique issue? I have recorded lots of guitar players that have "feedback" issues especially when palm muting due to putting to much pressure on the strings with their picking hand. Try just playing a chord without letting your pick hand touch the strings, is it still feeding back? Some presets when not gated tight enough give the squelchy type of sound after palm mutes, kinda creating a harmonic that is more likely to feed back.

Like I said before, no offense intended :) I just seems like other than the possibility of a faulty unit (which seems unlikely considering the type of issue your having), or a faulty amplifier you've exhausted most of the other possibilities. Good luck!

Not to be offensive or anything, but maybe its a technique issue? I have recorded lots of guitar players that have "feedback" issues especially when palm muting due to putting to much pressure on the strings with their picking hand. Try just playing a chord without letting your pick hand touch the strings, is it still feeding back? Some presets when not gated tight enough give the squelchy type of sound after palm mutes, kinda creating a harmonic that is more likely to feed back.

Like I said before, no offense intended :) I just seems like other than the possibility of a faulty unit (which seems unlikely considering the type of issue your having), or a faulty amplifier you've exhausted most of the other possibilities. Good luck!

None taken man, but I appreciate the warning! :)

My muting technique is solid, and I rely more on my technique for quick starts/stops than gating. When I'm playing normally it's fine, it's when I palm mute or stop quickly that there's the screeching feedback at the end of it. I've made sure there aren't any loose screws on my guitar and that the strings are muted past the nut (makes a big difference) and I still have the same issue.

To clarify, I'm not saying there's an issue with the AxeFX, just saying that although I know it can be solved, it shouldn't have to be so insanely difficult to do so with this unit.

When I'm playing normally it's fine, it's when I palm mute or stop quickly that there's the screeching feedback at the end of it.

check the release time of the gate
when you palm mute, the note stops suddenly but the gate will remain open for a little time... squeak.. then closes.. no squeak..

if you have a strong reverb level, or strong 'room' level in the amp block, the reverb tail will help hold the gate open for a little longer..

rather than gate like crazy or kill your reverb.. maybe try this..

- back off the reverb / amp: room level just a little
- shorten the gate's release time just a little
- increase the gate's ratio just a little
- create just a little more distance between you and the monitors / cabs

hopefully, the net effect of these little changes will mitigate this feedback but without making any alterations to your preset's tone or feel in a noticeable way..

Back
Top Bottom