Am I setting my Axe-Fx up wrong, or is something wrong?

I’m curious, could you do a raw DI recording of your guitar playing the same thing in your clip? Then we could load it into our DAWs and reamp it see how it sounds. This would be interesting to see!

edit: so record using USB input 5 in your DAW and share the wav file with us

That's a great idea! If you'd want to try it I would be glad! Thank you!

Hey Dude ,

try this back off a bit of the highs but does it chug or sound blanketed

its not the range this is recto 1 red .the cabs are different I changed to stock options ,so you could check it out

Thanks, that is of course more like I want to hear it. Still not anything close to how clear the sound from the video is though.
The issue is that the same preset from the video sound totally different to me, while it sounds similar for Kamil.

No need to crap on the guys playing, people. Comment on the tone and try to help.

I think he was just joking, but thank you for caring! The world needs more ppl like you :)

Sounds like you are using a very thin pick and/or strum way too softly. Or: how is the input gate set?

Mostly play with 1.14, have a 3.0 mm pick. I don't like really thin picks.
Adjusting the noise gate makes no audible difference to the full processed sound.

Can you post a video of your right hand technique? Just to narrow things down.

Yes! Good idea! Thanks!

Do you get the same result using any of the other inputs?

Yup, I have tried front, back and another one ( a while back, didn't matter).

Here are the links:

Link to video of me playing:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugixno85yqsnqye/IMG_2618.MOV?dl=0

Link to DI, recorded during recording the video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s23dewc708v3rnc/AxeFx3_test_Recto2orangestock_DI.mp3?dl=0

Link to recto 2 orange modern, recorded simultaneously as the video/DI:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3kuorakuxa8cdr/AxeFx3_test_Recto2orangestock.mp3?dl=0

Again - Thank you SO much for taking your time to helping me out! Means a lot to a VERY frustrated me :cool: :)

I agree with OP, he is NOT getting the correct sound. And Ola not only rules but sounds great right outa da box!

I compared your recording to a reamped version version I did here with your DI track... they sound nearly identical (I even tried lining them up and phase inverting one of them to check). I actually think it sounds pretty good!

Here's a question for you: how loud are you listening? This preset and your recording sound very mid-rangey when you play them at mid / lower volumes, but once you crank the volume up it's pretty crushing.

Going back to Ola's video, the recording is much louder than the sound file that you provided (and my reamped recording), so if you're just A/B'ing them that way that's going to really skew your perception of the tone.

I compared your recording to a reamped version version I did here with your DI track... they sound nearly identical (I even tried lining them up and phase inverting one of them to check). I actually think it sounds pretty good!

Here's a question for you: how loud are you listening? This preset and your recording sound very mid-rangey when you play them at mid / lower volumes, but once you crank the volume up it's pretty crushing.

Hmm, thats surprising.

Thank you for trying it out!! Could you please post your result from reamping?

I am listening at different levels (mostly depending on the family beeing home or not :p), the thing is still - that even if I listen to my guitar track and Olas track at the same levels (quiet or loud) there is still a huge difference.

Last edited:
Does any other preset sound “good”? It could just be that particular amp with your guitar?

Does any other preset sound “good”? It could just be that particular amp with your guitar?

Well, yeah. A lot of presets sound "good", just not "great". I can get good tones out of the Mesa mark series, out of the Tucana and so. But nothing is like as clear and crisp as what I hear on the video, or other videos that has been around - the thing here, what made me react was that he just powered it on and went for it and hit the sweet spot right away.

The reason this has taken me a year is that they sound "good".

Last edited:
Hmm, thats surprising.

Thank you for trying it out!! Could you please post your result from reamping?

I am listening at different levels (mostly depending on the family beeing home or not :p), the thing is still - that even if I listen to my guitar track and Olas track at the same levels (quiet or loud) there is still a huge difference.

I reamped your DI and the result sounds the same as your original clip. Here's a link to the reamped sample. At least we can rule out your Axe-Fx as the culprit.

You seem to know what your doing for yourself playing wise.... I liked that insolent camera brow you gave like “uhhhhh can you see I’m not a noob and I can palm mute and gallop (you dicks,especially WLOD)” LOL

AWESOME 👏 just for that alone you win !!

so is it user error @Jason Scott you mean??

Dude your not bad at all, I just said that.... I think you just are having trouble with the axe
Did u not read my posts
I’m known for being abrasively candid (but also funny to be fair )

You seem to know what your doing for yourself playing wise.... I liked that insolent camera brow you gave like “uhhhhh can you see I’m not a noob and I can palm mute and gallop (you dicks,especially WLOD)” LOL

AWESOME 👏 just for that alone you win !!

so is it user error @Jason Scott you mean??

Thank you WLOD! Hahaha, I tried to go for some dynamics pickingwise and then do my usual thing :)

I guess it's user error :)

Thank you Jason! That is comforting!

And, the least comforting thing is that I suck at guitar :oops: :D

Sure, the playing is different, but there are definitely tonal differences aside from the playing. I tweaked the preset a bit and I think you'll find the one I've attached to this post is much closer to what you're hearing in Ola's video.

Attachments

• Recto 2 Alt.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
Carl to be fair when I got my axe at first I came from kemper
So I thought it was the same “find a meSa and play” but it’s not a transfer or port

you gotta familiarize yourself with the machine

I highly suggest getting the $120 masterclass

it’s invaluable to using the machine

after the first few hours

yes hours!!!!!!!! 😳

Too fuckin bad bro. You wanted the best ? You got the best

but WILL AN IBANEZ JEM7VWH PLAY ITSELF

NOOOOOOO!!!!!
Vai took decades to get where he is

cliff luckily made it easier with this gear; and you can achieve what took VIRTUOSOS from the 80s years to do, in hours!!!!
So
Get the axe Fx amp manual so you can see which is which and start playing with your Preset PARAMTERS

I know it looks scary but you can’t fuck it up cuz it’s not a computer or hard drive (like those old shit box kempers cough dig)

be patient
Spend time
(Get the master class to learn how to use it for real)

leon Todd also has great tutorials and he’s a fun watch, never boring (hes a true gear head)
Free

Just to be sure try Input 2. The front and rear Input 1 share common circuitry. Perhaps there is something wrong in that input path. So take your preset and change the Input 1 block to an Input 2 block. Plug your guitar into Input 2 Left and set Input 2 to Left Only in Setup->Audio.

Oh, and make sure you have the latest firmware and presets.

Maybe i missed it but your playback system will make a huge difference too

I don’t know what Ola uses but i am guessing his studio monitors are likely pretty high end

Same with Burgs i listen to his clips and always think my Axe doesnt sound like that

Back
Top Bottom