Am I RTFMing this right?

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
FM9 Manual, page 9:
The STAND IN SWITCH feature (p. 79) makes external switches even more powerful, since it allows them to perform any of the the functions of an onboard switch

Improving on the AxeFX3 implementation of these jacks, the switches plugged into the three pedal jacks can act as stand-in switches?

Yes. Is that not true for switches plugged into the AFIII? It certainly is for switches plugged into any FC pedal.
Yes, works for FC pedals, but no reference can be found to Stand-In Switches in the AxeFX3 manual. Looks like I found a bit of an easter egg where the FM9 > FX3....

I assume the FM3 is the same?
Dunno. Don't have one of those....

Would love to see this percolate up to the FX3 like Views did, if it is possible.... 🙂

Modded my under-board dual switch into a pair of single switches. This will let me offload the bank switches in the FM9 to the under-board switches, and give me two buttons with LED indicators on that layout that can do something else where LED indicators are helpful....

IMG_20210919_220307.jpg

“Whoopty do. But what does it all mean Bazzle?”

sorry I’m completely ignorant and have zero idea what you all are talking about. Anyone have the time or desire to break it down into ignorant-weekend-warrior speak?

appreciate the patience.

I don’t own an fm9 or an fm3. I’m still running an axe fx 2 mkii with the mfc-101 until my fm9 email invite

Last edited:

sorry I’m completely ignorant and have zero idea what you all are talking about. Anyone have the time or desire to break it down into ignorant-weekend-warrior speak?

appreciate the patience.

I don’t own an fm9 or an fm3. I’m still running an axe fx 2 mkii with the mfc-101 until my fm9 email invite
Don't drink the coffee.... ;)

appreciate the patience.

It means, in simplest terms, that an external switch can do anything and built-in switch can.

Dunno. Don't have one of those....

Would love to see this percolate up to the FX3 like Views did, if it is possible.... 🙂

Modded my under-board dual switch into a pair of single switches. This will let me offload the bank switches in the FM9 to the under-board switches, and give me two buttons with LED indicators on that layout that can do something else where LED indicators are helpful....

View attachment 88837
What switches did you use? I want to pick some up and make sure I get the right ones.

Nice "wiring" there, too!

What switches did you use? I want to pick some up and make sure I get the right ones.

Nice "wiring" there, too!
Thanks! A short piece of 14 ga. solid copper bent into an L shape connects the switch lug to the jack lug very securely....

The switches are normally-closed momentary switches, and were $2 each from a guitar pedal building supply place. Will see if I can find the company name/site after work. The switch buttons are 11mm (7/16"), so most button toppers won't fit, but CEBA is making me some, and may have the ability now to make them for others.

Thanks! A short piece of 14 ga. solid copper bent into an L shape connects the switch lug to the jack lug very securely....

The switches are normally-closed momentary switches, and were $2 each from a guitar pedal building supply place. Will see if I can find the company name/site after work. The switch buttons are 11mm (7/16"), so most button toppers won't fit, but CEBA is making me some, and may have the ability now to make them for others.
Thought I'd step in and provide some insight...

https://lovemyswitches.com

A small family-owned business in Portland OR has what you're looking for. It's where I found both the switches and the enclosure for my 2-button external stand-in footswitch project. Me thinks word of mouth might help these folks gain some internet presence from the Fractal community...

The base-fittings diameter for a normally closed momentary switch is 12mm. I thought to use an enclosure rather than try routing a larger drill hole in my Temple board. This way, the enclosure sits higher off the board where other footswitches would reside. I don't know the diameter of the footswitch area itself. Will need to measure once the switches arrive and order toppers after-the-fact.

@Joe Bfstplk: I might take you up on the topper offer if I might need a couple. I thought I owned at least 3 extra Mooer candy toppers but they seem to have found a place in my apartment where they've wintered in for the season. (Read: I don't know where I put the ferking things.)

Last edited:

A small family-owned business in Portland OR has what you're looking for. It's where I found both the switches and the enclosure for my 2-button external stand-in footswitch project. Me thinks word of mouth might help these folks gain some internet presence from the Fractal community...

The base-fittings diameter for a normally closed momentary switch is 12mm. I thought to use an enclosure rather than try routing a larger drill hole in my Temple board. This way, the enclosure sits higher off the board where other footswitches would reside. I don't know the diameter of the footswitch area itself. Will need to measure once the switches arrive and order toppers after-the-fact.

@Joe Bfstplk: I might take you up on the topper offer if I might need a couple. I thought I owned at least 3 extra Mooer candy toppers but they seem to have found a place in my apartment where they've wintered in for the season. (Read: I don't know where I put the ferking things.)

They have a nice selection! Might get knobs for my Simone amp, as I've never really liked the ones that I got for it....

Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom