Am I right in assuming that...

marklumsley

... if there's an amp model already on the Axe-Fx II that can sound close enough to a desired amp that hasn't been modelled, then that amp won't be added to the roster in the future?

Or is that just crazy talk?

Thorts? :)

I would guess Cliff defines what "close enough" is since he chooses which amps to model. It could be said that there are plenty of similar amps in the roster right now but none that are the same.

There is no published formula for what new amps get modeled, although I get the impression that preference is given to amps that are sonically unique.

Is there a point in the question? You kind of answer yourself there...

Most amps are derivatives of other amps. If you want something not in the current stable, post in wish list, if you want to sound like <insert Bob the Amp Builder's> amp, then post a clip and/or what it resembles in 'Preset Exchange'

And are the Magpies going to make any waves next year when they get promoted?

Apologies if my question seemed rather fruitless as it was built purely out of curiosity. I'm 110% happy with my XL+ and all of its amps (!!!) but I just wanted a bit of clarity on the whole process of this type of matter.

I'm guessing the Magpies reference is sports related, in which I'm sadly not a connoisseur haha.

There are probably, what, 1000 or more unique amps that have been/are on the market at some point or another. Many of those amps aren't really that different, sometimes just using a different type of tube etc which can be easily swapped in the Axe.

In other cases, there is surely enough variety as is to cover pretty much the full sonic spectrum. Take Fender amps for example, between the tweeds, the black faces, the "fat" versions, the silverface versions, all those classic tones are there. I don't think every circuit of every amp they've ever produce is required to produce some nice Fender tones.

Eventually you can get to diminishing gains, as lets say there were 500 amp models. Who's got time to check out even half those ? I honestly haven't spent enough time with even half the models as is to feel I've really got to know some of them.

Been spending time on the JCM800, the #34, the Brit Silver, the HBE versions, the Atomica, etc and honestly haven't even gotten a chance yet to really dig around with the CCV's, or the Fractal Hot Rod or others.

Its like if you owned 500 guitars, you'd likely never touch most of them. Now I don't think one can own too many guitars lol, but there does become a practical limit of if your just having something to have it, or because you actually will put it to use

The "wish list" for Cliff is yuge. I'm still hoping for my Ampeg V4. As they say, "Hope springs eternal".

Back
Top Bottom