Am I one of the few Fractal Artists who uses the AFX II for Everyhing?

Radley

Experienced
If so, this is ridiculous. I have found the AFX II to be *great* for all my Amp modeling, Stomp OD modeling, Cab modeling, Acoustic Guitar IR modeling, Effects, etc. I tend to believe that many amp/cab users have a hard time 'letting go', but I have let go big-time, and it sounds great, especially in *the house*! This platform gets better with every update, and I believe the ones who are ready to commit to the future have a serious home at Fractal Audio...

If so, this is ridiculous. I have found the AFX II to be *great* for all my Amp modeling, Stomp OD modeling, Cab modeling, Acoustic Guitar IR modeling, Effects, etc. I tend to believe that many amp/cab users have a hard time 'letting go', but I have let go big-time, and it sounds great, especially in *the house*! This platform gets better with every update, and I believe the ones who are ready to commit to the future have a serious home at Fractal Audio...

If the Axe FX could cook me breakfast, I would let it.

While i dont really use stomp boxes, its a no brainer to me to use it for everything. It's perfect for me :)

I too, .......Axe II - Wedge monitor and FOH..FRFR
Everything from Top 40, Classic Rock, Roots, Country, Metal....all covered

Depends on your definition of "Fractal Artist." If you mean endorsers, you may be one of the few who doesn't have a preexisting endorsement for a tube amp. :)

I heard you in Tampa and thought it was fine. If you like it and it makes you life easier, all the better.

All I am saying is that I have found the AFX II to be most excellent for all the jobs I have demanded of it, and I find it a bit odd that other endorsees have not 'taken the leap'...

To Clarify: The AFX II is promoted to be a TOTAL solution for the modern guitarist - A Mutlieffects powerhouse, A state-of-the-art Amp & Cab emulator, and an overall digital sound quality second to none. I have found this to be true on all levels, so again I ask why aren't more users/endorsees committing to 'the full package'? Oh well, if you want to hear what a Fractal-Only system sounds like direct to the House, please come to a Neil Diamond concert, because that is exactly what you will hear, night after night.

Is this the same Radley that was posting last spring? That must have been a great tour!

While not a pro these days, I can say the Axe has taken all the fun out of buying new gear. I planned on spending this afternoon and evening with a new acquisition and plugged into the Axe while the other device was booting and couldn't stop playing the Axe. Even fired up a couple amps for comparison while refining TMA patches on the Axe and I got the Axe to the point where the real amps weren't delivering like the Axe. I've given up on Tone Match to just capture an amp, once it's in the Axe you can take it from real to ideal.

All I am saying is that I have found the AFX II to be most excellent for all the jobs I have demanded of it, and I find it a bit odd that other endorsees have not 'taken the leap'...
More and more will turn to the FAS side of the force, just cant let go of their other endorsements yet Im guessing.
Handles everything Ive thrown at it will no issues at all. I am content. :)

I'm no longer actively gigging or working on recording projects (save for hobby level projects & jam sessions). I now play entirely for personal enjoyment. This said I use the AxeII for every application requiring processing of a guitars raw signal output.

The only exception for me is that I utilize a tube amp for initial testing of all new guitar pedal builds as this is where customers will put the pedals to work. Once satisfied that a build is functioning properly any further play testing is done through the AxeII. I own one tube amp (an Egnater Tweaker 1x12 combo - Fender, Vox, & Marshall voicings make it possible to test new circuits for use with all three of these classic amp types).

Testing new pedal builds through the AxeFX and software modelers lets me know how useful the pedal might be in these applications as well. I own prototype builds for each pedal circuit but these sit idle as well unless I find an application for the tube amp - so far it's only seen use as an amp for guest players in my home music room since I started playing through Fractal Audio AxeFX Ultra & AxeFX II. On mist occasions though when a guest player is over I run them through Input 1 right on the AxeII and use a dual amp, stereo in/out patch.

Last edited:
I am one of those Fractal Artists who use the Axe-Fx II for everything.
Oh well, "artist", you know... and that Fractal prefix, not sure if it fits really well for me here :mrgreen

To Clarify: The AFX II is promoted to be a TOTAL solution for the modern guitarist - A Mutlieffects powerhouse, A state-of-the-art Amp & Cab emulator, and an overall digital sound quality second to none. I have found this to be true on all levels, so again I ask why aren't more users/endorsees committing to 'the full package'? Oh well, if you want to hear what a Fractal-Only system sounds like direct to the House, please come to a Neil Diamond concert, because that is exactly what you will hear, night after night.

Radley, is this you?

Dweezil Zappa, has also embraced the FRFR approach but indeed a lot of the rest seem to still have amps etc. It may even "be for how rock and roll is supposed to look" or some reason that has nothing to do with sound.

I'm exclusively Axe II for my acoustic and almost exclusively Axe II for electric guitar.

When I say almost it's because I still own a few choice tube amps, but they get very little play time.
The tube amps are only used in 2 scenarios

1) with a specific artist that I back - he's an old time rock 'n roller and demands that we use tube amps on stage, he’s the boss and a great guy to play with so I’m ok with it. Normally I don’t let anybody tell me what to use or what not to use.

2) in the studio when I'm specifically looking for the sound that is the signature of said amp. Then I dial in a Axe version of that sound if that tune make it onto the setlist. Most of the time though I head straight for the Axe II even if I'm going for a sound signature that one of my amps have.

Just recently I was hired as a stand in for a couple of shows, It was a last minute thing I had to fly out for.
They had set up the rig of the guy I stood in for : Marshall full stack, Soldano SLO full stack and a Fender Bandmaster stack.
It looked the part behind me, but I brought a little fly rig 4U rack with G90 wireless, Axe Fx II and Metric Halo ULN-8 with me and went direct.
Everybody complemented my sound, but to say that the FOH tech loved it is a huge understatement.

Attachments

• IMG_3592.jpg
    IMG_3592.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
There are a lot of artists that use it 100% all the time (Periphery, Tosin Abasi, Chris Broderick, Wes Hauch, BTBAM, etc). There are also a lot of artists that use it 100% some of the time but still use tube amp rigs in other situations.

Some of those artists have not yet publicly revealed that they use it 100% some of the time... :).

I think its just old habits dying hard. I've play the Axe FX for over three years, just getting to the point of completely trusting the FRFR concept and not having 'toobz' somewhere in the chain.

Now, with v.7, this sucker sounds so good I haven't turned 'toobz' on in six months.

Back
Top Bottom