Am I crazy? (Quantum 1.05 Question)

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
Finally got to load 1.05 last night, think it sounds and feels fantastic. This fw and a new cab OwnHammer is working on gets me closer than ever to what I feel is my ideal tone.

I usually do a null mic with proximity of 2 and a bit of motor drive in the cab block. I also do the output comp in the amp block at around 2. Last night I decided to take that stuff away and I think I liked it even better. Has this leap in FW made the need for stuff that obsolete?? It just sounds and feels that good.

Curious which Ownhammer Cab you're talking about. I've been thinking to grab an IR pack soon, and still love how the CP7 & 8 sound and feel. I bought a few of the V3 packs from Ownhammer, stoked on the day of purchase, but (no offense) not exactly standing the test of time.
Do u feel the newer packs are comparable now?

They're not obsolete, you just don't need them much anymore.

Tricks that I "always" used are now rarely used except when certain cabs or amps can benefit. One of the ones that went out the window completely when quantum arrived was the preamp compressor in the cab block for clean tones.

Others may offer a more technical reply, but I say it's your ears and if you like it then all you gotta do is play and grin ( or any other guitar player face you desire)

I haven't updated to 1.05 yet (will do Friday night), but since the Quantum fw has come out, I find I don't really dial any "room" parameters or "motor drive" stuff much if any at all now. I use to use a null mic so I could do those things, but now, I just use an amp and cab block. I don't think I am running any EQ outside of the amp and cab normal controls either. Things just sound and feel so right now that I don't have to do any deep editing outside of maybe delay, reverb, an occasional chorus or drive pedal.

Same here. I also had issues with proximity adding to my clipping due to the bass response of it so I've also been happy to ditch using these. It helps keep things consistent too.

I'm gonna call crazy here, only cause I haven't installed 1.05 :)

I don't use the cab pre much but on a few patches it sounded better without every since Quantum, even more so these last few updates. And also noticed every thing from cab to effects seem to really have more flavor. Could be the way the amp and cab are reacting.....

I've never liked the "speaker drive" parameter in the speaker page. I remember, all it did was made the speaker "fart".
Now I've tried it after a long time, and damn, setting it at a small value (1-2) and it sounds cool.

IIRC you're a big fan of the Matchless DC model, right?

2 on the output comp seems a little over the top (IMO). Maybe try .8-1, and for the Nashville stuff try an actual comp block before the amp to get some of that spank back in there? You might even benefit more by using even less output comp and bumping up your sag value?

Like FreeMind, I was also never really into using the motor drive, but the biggest tonal difference maker, given what you've said thus far, was probably your removal of the cab block preamp (that is, if you had it set at moderate or above values).

yeah, the Matchless is my go to for sure. the reason i was using the output comp is because it reminded me of what my Diamond Comp pedal used to do...more of everything but not as much squish as a typical compressor.

Thats how I approach my sounds since quantum. It used to take me a lot of EQ'ing but now it's quiacker to find what youre after. The only trick I'd say and whats helpfull is when you actually had a chance to play amp youre trying to mimic.

Finally got to load 1.05 last night, think it sounds and feels fantastic. This fw and a new cab OwnHammer is working on gets me closer than ever to what I feel is my ideal tone.

I usually do a null mic with proximity of 2 and a bit of motor drive in the cab block. I also do the output comp in the amp block at around 2. Last night I decided to take that stuff away and I think I liked it even better. Has this leap in FW made the need for stuff that obsolete?? It just sounds and feels that good.
Flavour of the month, actually.
Once you get used to a certain sound, you start to see the grass greener on the other side.

That's why I usually don't touch any advanced parameters anymore (except comp). It is just a waste of time as I tend to re-dial my tones every 3 months anyway.

Also, with 200 amp models in the box: if I don't initially like the sound of an amp without tweaking the advanced parameters, I just select a different amp...

almost all of my "pet" parameters don't get petted since quantum. besides gain, bass, mid, treble, master I like to switch the dynamic eq on some amps from peaking type to dynamic when you like more bounce, default settings work great. also just a touch of cab-block dephase when the ir has blurry mids. 1-3 is subtle but comparing it to the tube amps I have it's closer to the amp in the room sound I hear

Flavour of the month, actually.
Once you get used to a certain sound, you start to see the grass greener on the other side.

That's why I usually don't touch any advanced parameters anymore (except comp). It is just a waste of time as I tend to re-dial my tones every 3 months anyway.

Also, with 200 amp models in the box: if I don't initially like the sound of an amp without tweaking the advanced parameters, I just select a different amp...
yeah but i'm not messing with any advance parameters, just basic cab block stuff.

i'll have to revisit, could have just been my ears hearing something different since I'd gotten used to things a certain way.

The only parameter I've recently used is Motor Drive. I used to dial in some proximity, but with the proper cab selected I find it doesn't need it.
I've also dialled back the amount of Motor Drive I use recently. I used to be around 3-4 on the dial, but now I have it at 1.

These days I find you really only need to adjust B/M/T and find a matching IR

yeah but i'm not messing with any advance parameters, just basic cab block stuff.
I consider almost all cab settings "advanced parameters", simply because you won't have these controls on the physical cab either.

Mic proximity... eh ... okay, you can do that physically, but a certain proximity is already baked into the IR anyway. If you use a good IR, no reason to tinker with it further. I'd just destroy the virtual picture the IR maker painted.

I consider almost all cab settings "advanced parameters", simply because you won't have these controls on the physical cab either.

Mic proximity... eh ... okay, you can do that physically, but a certain proximity is already baked into the IR anyway. If you use a good IR, no reason to tinker with it further. I'd just destroy the virtual picture the IR maker painted.
sure, but if Cliff didn't think they were useful, why would he add them? he certainly deemed them valuable enough to code, so if it makes an already very good or great ir and makes it better or better suited to your application, i don't feel like it's taking anything away from the IR, just making it work better for you.

Back
Top Bottom