Am I crazy or I always wish more treble on Plexi presets

km 202257

Inspired
As the title suggests, is it just me or Marshall Plexi presets out there always lack treble?
I've tried factory Plexi presets and Axe-change presets and also watched Youtube clips of Plexi presets, but never have encountered one that has that ear-bleeding treble I experienced with real Plexis. Hope I'm not mis-interpreting the sound of Plexis, or I can just buy a III and problem is gone?
After all, I've created my own Plexi patch for II. It might include some crazy tweeks as I did everything to squeeze treble out of it, but this sounds to me the closest to my memory of playing Plexi and it can survive in a mix.

If interested, please listen to the demo or try out my patch, and your impressions are much appreciated.

* This preset is cab-bundled. I've sourced IRs from forum member Aziz, who uploaded his Marshall 1960 IRs on this thread.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ack-several-classic-mics-250-impulses.136556/

Attachments

• Harsh Plexi (Kyo Gt).syx
    27.6 KB · Views: 13
The "Plexi 100W High" amp and the "4x12 Basketwave G12H30 (RW)" combo is what I've been using from firmware v2.xx (+9 years ago) all the way up to the latest Ares 2 firmware and I never found it lacked treble neither with the Fender CS69 pups nor with Dimarzio Pro Track/Cruiser Bridge/Cruiser Neck and Dimarzio Air Norton/Fast Track 1/Fast Track 1.

On the contrary, I never have the Treble higher than 6, Prescence is always 0, and the max value of the Bright Cap is 500pf (most of the time it's 120-150pf, that's when I keep the volume at or less than 4 as nowadays I play 99% totally clean). YMMV, depends on the rest of your gear and what sounds you are trying to achieve.

Sorry, I have never tried any factory preset as to me it's a waste of time (first thing I always do is to delete them all), I always build my presets with a clean slate.

The "Plexi 100W High" amp and the "4x12 Basketwave G12H30 (RW)" combo is what I've been using from firmware v2.xx (+9 years ago) all the way up to the latest Ares 2 firmware and I never found it lacked treble neither with the Fender CS69 pups nor with Dimarzio Pro Track/Cruiser Bridge/Cruiser Neck and Dimarzio Air Norton/Fast Track 1/Fast Track 1.

On the contrary, I never have the Treble higher than 6, Prescence is always 0, and the max value of the Bright Cap is 500pf (most of the time it's 120-150pf, that's when I keep the volume at or less than 4 as nowadays I play 99% totally clean). YMMV, depends on the rest of your gear and what sounds you are trying to achieve.

Sorry, I have never tried any factory preset as to me it's a waste of time (first thing I always do is to delete them all), I always build my presets with a clean slate.
Thanks, just tried out your combination. For my taste, while it gave me convincing amount of treble, I missed low bottom and the gain was not enough.
I'm playing a 1978 Fender Stratocaster with the stock pickups, so I guess my guitar has a darker sounding compared to yours. I imagine the pups you've listed has more treble and overall output so the combination gives you a balanced tone. Do you have any problems cutting it through in the mix?

While I'm happy with my Plexi preset, I just wanted to know other approaches people take to get a satisfying Plexi tone so that I can try out. I was also curious if I had done something wrong, as despite my experience I've never seen bad review on Axe-Fx's Plexi model so far.

What I always expect from Plexi model is the tones like Yngwie Malmsteen in 1980's - balanced but ear-bleeding treble is dominant when hitting the first/second strings.

Plexis are often confused with JCM800 recordings.
That being said, a plexi is a very clean amp. Get some studio tracks of the tone you are going after and do a serious "side by side".
Most likely the sound needs a boost box out front to dial in the correct dirt, keeping the amp cleaner will allow you to dial in the EQ more effectively.

I agree, the preset you have (i just played the clip), does not sound very much like a Plexi to my ears.
Leon Todd has done a pretty decent job running through the Plexi models on the Axe III.
Maybe watch that, get some tips, and try again.

Although, I know the Plexi's got special attention in the Axe III and sound AMAZING, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom