Am I being unreasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatjac

Inspired
Hi, to the best of my knowledge I haven’t ever posted anything negative regarding any Fractal Product. I have been totally satisfied with my Fractal experience to date. Having, thus far, purchased a brand new FX8 and subsequently also not one but two secondhand Axe FX XL’s along with an MFC101 mark one. The forum support here is amazing as are the products.

However atm I am having problems programming my MFC101 using Fractal Bot and MFC edit (another purchase). I am reliably informed that my troubles will disappear when I connect the MFC using a power supply and disconnect it from the Axe.

Fine but I do not have a power supply! I either did not receive it when I purchased all of the rig or I have mislaid it. Totally my fault.

So I contacted G66 support and asked if I could EITHER buy another OR could they recommend a third party replacement? Even letting me have the specifications so that I could source my own would be ok.

Anyway to my great surprise I have been informed that they will NOT sell me a replacement and neither will they give me any information regarding the power supply.

Personally I’m aghast at this decision/ attitude but what does the panel think? Am I being unreasonable? I don’t want something for nothing. I’m prepared to pay. I really can’t see the problem here.

How far does this policy extend? Am I not allowed to buy Faslink adapters or cables to connect my gear? Should I not have bought MFC Edit? Perhaps I should return my three expression pedals? After all they have all been purchased to use with a secondhand Axe FX.

So am I being unreasonable? Please let me know your thoughts.

Hi,

My MCF-101 MK1 power supply broke ages ago so I've been using a Line6 power supply I had left over from my POD2 days for the last 5 years or so.
Works fine, if I remember correctly the MFC-101 needs 9v AC, not at home at the moment so can't check.

I also retrofitted an ethercon socket to my MFC about 2 years ago after the Ethenet Connector broke. Took some machining of the case but really sturdy now and haven't had a problem since.

Hi,

My MCF-101 MK1 power supply broke ages ago so I've been using a Line6 power supply I had left over from my POD2 days for the last 5 years or so.
Works fine, if I remember correctly the MFC-101 needs 9v AC, not at home at the moment so can't check.

I also retrofitted an ethercon socket to my MFC about 2 years ago after the Ethenet Connector broke. Took some machining of the case but really sturdy now and haven't had a problem since.

Thanks for the reply. Great info on the power supply. At least that points me in the right direction. I might have something useable already amongst my gear.

Would you be able to let me know how to fit the ethercon connector please?

Last edited:
"So I contacted G66 support and asked if I could EITHER buy another OR could they recommend a third party replacement? Even letting me have the specifications so that I could source my own would be ok.
Anyway to my great surprise I have been informed that they will NOT sell me a replacement and neither will they give me any information regarding the power supply. "

I am sorry but this is not correct. You were simply asked if it was originally bought from G66 because then you would have gotten one free of charge.
BTW when did you last check your mail?

There must have been some kind of misunderstanding. So far G66 always have been extremly helpful and give the best customer service I ever experienced. ?

"So I contacted G66 support and asked if I could EITHER buy another OR could they recommend a third party replacement? Even letting me have the specifications so that I could source my own would be ok.
Anyway to my great surprise I have been informed that they will NOT sell me a replacement and neither will they give me any information regarding the power supply. "

I am sorry but this is not correct. You were simply asked if it was originally bought from G66 because then you would have gotten one free of charge.
BTW when did you last check your mail?

“Hi Gary,

yes, it does matter because usually we can only support and service units which were originally bought from us.

Thank you, best,

Jochen
G66-support”

Sorry but I believe that it IS correct. Above is the last email that I received from you before my original post on this thread. It seems pretty categoric to me? There is no offer of a replacement or any detail regarding specs. No indication that you were still considering the matter or any mention that you might have sent me a free one if I had purchased the original from you. Is there? Merely a refusal to help after I asked if it mattered if I had bought the MFC from you? To me that reads as final. Had you intended to help you would have said so in that email.

It is interesting that since I posted here you have both rebutted my post and also changed your stance by now offering to sell me a power supply. I would suggest that the negative feedback on here changed your mind and I find that disappointing to say the least.

I have said that prior to this I have had nothing but good experience with Fractal brand and its products so this is a one off, perhaps an error of judgement by one staff member of G66, but please do not try to paint me in a bad light by spreading misinformation. You refused to sell me a power supply. End of.

I’m glad that you have changed your stance on the matter and will accept your offer ASAP.

We never once said that we would not sell you one or that we would not give you the specs. Which btw are in the manual.
Should you have any mails saying otherwise, please send them to me in a PM and I will take care of it.
We only asked (as I said before) if it was bought from us because then we would have given you one for free.

If you misunderstood that OR if we did not make that clear enough I do apologize. None of us have English as our first language so maybe that is what went wrong here.

There must have been some kind of misunderstanding. So far G66 always have been extremly helpful and give the best customer service I ever experienced. ?

I’m glad to hear it and, as I said, prior to this experience I would have agreed.

All I wanted to do was buy a power supply which didn’t seem a big deal to me but it has now turned into a saga and left a sour taste. That’s a shame.

“Hi Gary,

yes, it does matter because usually we can only support and service units which were originally bought from us.

Thank you, best,

Jochen
G66-support”

The message of this email seems to be nothing else but "We will not sell you a power supply or give you any information, because we don't support or service units that weren't bought from us".
Someone in G66 has indeed screwed up.

“Hi Gary,

Thank you, best,

Jochen
G66-support”

Sorry but I believe that it IS correct. Above is the last email that I received from you before my original post on this thread. It seems pretty categoric to me? There is no offer of a replacement or any detail regarding specs. No indication that you were still considering the matter or any mention that you might have sent me a free one if I had purchased the original from you. Is there? Merely a refusal to help after I asked if it mattered if I had bought the MFC from you? To me that reads as final. Had you intended to help you would have said so in that email.

It is interesting that since I posted here you have both rebutted my post and also changed your stance by now offering to sell me a power supply. I would suggest that the negative feedback on here changed your mind and I find that disappointing to say the least.

I have said that prior to this I have had nothing but good experience with Fractal brand and its products so this is a one off, perhaps an error of judgement by one staff member of G66, but please do not try to paint me in a bad light by spreading misinformation. You refused to sell me a power supply. End of.

I’m glad that you have changed your stance on the matter and will accept your offer ASAP.
Hi Gary,
I think Jochen simply misspoke.
I can tell you that G66 has a great support service, I think I never experienced a customer service better than this, as I reported in this thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/help-axefxii-doesnt-boot-anymore-solved.129719/#post-1549286

Good luck

The message of this email seems to be nothing else but "We will not sell you a power supply or give you any information, because we don't support or service units that weren't bought from us".
Not only that, they didn’t even take the time & care to use proper grammar. Even if English isn’t the native language, everyone should know when to use a capital letter. In a professional correspondence such as this that’s even more insulting and infuriating. Makes it really look like they didn’t care, even if that truly was not their intention. Which I do not believe was their intention.. but it is little things like that when your on the receiving end of when you feel like your “getting fucked” that can really add a lot more insult to injury.
....shit, maybe I’m unreasonable too :eek:

Last edited:

I can see that interpretation, but it does require that you expand the definition of "support" to include selling parts and giving information that's in the manual.

It's also out of context, so we don't know if the original question could have been reasonably interpreted as a request for support for the product (in a more tighter sense of the word "support").

This thread started with an explanation of the problem that the OP was having with his unit, and then his own diagnosis that it was caused by not using a dedicated power supply, which lead him to contact G66. It seems likely that he might have at least explained the reason that he wanted the power supply when he contacted G66, and that might have lead them down the path of "customer wants support for the product". With language issues, I can see it going sideways fairly easily.

Hi guys,
sorry for stepping in but I would like to take a different route on this one.
What is the problem in the first place?!?
You're saying you're having trouble programming the MFC and that it has something to do with the power supply.
But does it?
What IS this problem?
Perhaps we can help you somehow.
I connected my MFC directly via my Ethernet cable to the Axe (II Mk1).
Never had any issues at all.
Have you trined a different cable? Perhaps that is funky?!
Let us know and let us have a shot at helping you ;-)

And if it really has to do with the power supply?
You do not need an original one.
It's a simple power supply.
Check the manual for the specs and get a new one.
It's just a few quid ;-)

We never once said that we would not sell you one
OK, however, equally so, you didn't say that you would...

or that we would not give you the specs. Which btw are in the manual.

Thanks I'll look for them now. Specifically I wanted the size of the power supply end adapter as I know that they vary and I wanted to source the correct one. I didn't specify that though I just thought that the specs would contain that info as they normally do.

Should you have any mails saying otherwise, please send them to me in a PM and I will take care of it.
We only asked (as I said before) if it was bought from us because then we would have given you one for free.

I'm not going to do that. You have the emails as do I. I have no wish to continue a slanging match going backwards & forwards with "You said that" & "I said this". I suspect that this is of little interest to the majority & so I wish to draw a line under it.

If you misunderstood that OR if we did not make that clear enough I do apologize. None of us have English as our first language so maybe that is what went wrong here.

OK I accept your apology. I only posted to ascertain whether I was being unreasonable in expecting you to sell me a replacement power supply when I had only purchased a secondhand MFC. Others have commented that your customer service is normally excellent & I accept that. On this occasion the reply to me seemed blunt & uncaring. As you say it's probably a language thing.

I'm going to forget this...

Agreed which is why I posted.

Last edited:
Not only that, they didn’t even take the time & care to use proper grammar. Even if English isn’t the native language, everyone should know when to use a capital letter. In a professional correspondence such as this that’s even more insulting and infuriating. Makes it really look like they didn’t care, even if that truly was not their intention. Which I do not believe was their intention.. but it is little things like that when your on the receiving end of when you feel like your “getting fucked” that can really add a lot more insult to injury.
....shit, maybe I’m unreasonable too :eek:

That's the way that I took it unfortunately...

Last edited:
I can see that interpretation, but it does require that you expand the definition of "support" to include selling parts and giving information that's in the manual.

It's also out of context, so we don't know if the original question could have been reasonably interpreted as a request for support for the product (in a more tighter sense of the word "support").

This thread started with an explanation of the problem that the OP was having with his unit, and then his own diagnosis that it was caused by not using a dedicated power supply, which lead him to contact G66. It seems likely that he might have at least explained the reason that he wanted the power supply when he contacted G66, and that might have lead them down the path of "customer wants support for the product". With language issues, I can see it going sideways fairly easily.

Thanks for the post but, as I have now said, I'm not going to post a whole email chain. I'm not trying to conduct a witch hunt & I have accepted that it was probably a language problem for which they have apologised. I will say that my original email was along the lines of "I've lost my power supply, can you sell me one or do you know where I can get one that will work?". Nothing more than that. No request for support just a request to purchase a new power supply or recommend a third party equivalent (Asked in case they were no longer in production) So, imho, I don't see how the confusion may have started.

I'm moving on...

Last edited:
Hi guys,
sorry for stepping in but I would like to take a different route on this one.
What is the problem in the first place?!?
You're saying you're having trouble programming the MFC and that it has something to do with the power supply.
But does it?
What IS this problem?
Perhaps we can help you somehow.
I connected my MFC directly via my Ethernet cable to the Axe (II Mk1).
Never had any issues at all.
Have you trined a different cable? Perhaps that is funky?!
Let us know and let us have a shot at helping you ;-)

And if it really has to do with the power supply?
You do not need an original one.
It's a simple power supply.
Check the manual for the specs and get a new one.
It's just a few quid ;-)

I was trying to get MFC edit to work. One of the recommendations is to try a Fractal Bot backup before you start so as to confirm your set up transfers midi to & fro correctly. It wouldn't work so I posted in the MFC section. After some more research I discovered that it is best to disconnect from the Axe FX & use a separate power supply. So in order to do that I tried to buy a power supply from G66. So when I get a power supply I will be able to start to progress the other problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom