Am I alone when it comes to the Fractal grid?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
I am a confirmed OCD guy. Always have been. Since forever, when it comes to fractal and the grid, mainly in the xxxEdit apps I do this:

I MUST have the rid filled "horizontally. IOW, Even if I have sa a drive block\amp\cab\reverb I will edit to make sure the grid is filled, as I said horizontally.
Weird, I know............ So am I alone?
Thanks folks

To shunt or not to shunt
To fill or not to fill
To top row or to third row
To left justify, to center, or to right justify
To series or to parallel...
These are the OCD grid questions.

Last edited:
I am a confirmed OCD guy. Always have been. Since forever, when it comes to fractal and the grid, mainly in the xxxEdit apps I do this:

I MUST have the rid filled "horizontally. IOW, Even if I have sa a drive block\amp\cab\reverb I will edit to make sure the grid is filled, as I said horizontally.
Thanks folks
You might just be like the rest of us who started with Fractal when there wasn’t an Input or an Output block! You had the input section on the left, output on the right, and you had to make a complete line left to right.

The mental scars of past abuses have shunted your growth. 😀

You might just be like the rest of us who started with Fractal when there wasn’t an Input or an Output block! You had the input section on the left, output on the right, and you had to make a complete line left to right.

The mental scars of past abuses have shunted your growth. 😀
Ah!!!! I remember.....

Shunts and cable connections do cost a tiny bit of CPU, so if you're pushing the limit, keep your routing as compact and minimal as possible. Otherwise, it's just personal preference. I tend to go the whole width since I was used to that on the II. It also leaves room to add new blocks whenever I want too.

Shunts and cable connections do cost a tiny bit of CPU, so if you're pushing the limit, keep your routing as compact and minimal as possible. Otherwise, it's just personal preference. I tend to go the whole width since I was used to that on the II. It also leaves room to add new blocks whenever I want too.
This drove me to change on the FM9... Gotta get every ounce of CPU, however I can! :)

I know extra cables use CPU, but moving blocks around to insert another one between two others is annoying. That's especially true when the connections between them aren't always maintained. Net is that there's a benefit to leaving empty spaces for future expansion.

Last edited:

Thanks folks
I know this song....

I'm weird in the opposite direction; I try to use as few shunts as possible. :)
Lately have been singing this one putting together FM9-only patches for those occasions when I might be using it without the FX3....

I’m an ex-programmer, and saving clock cycles has been a constant companion for years. Shunts are required occasionally but if they’re not necessary I eschew them.
Samesies. I'd even go so far as to say I'm mildly OCD in the opposite direction as OP. If I know something's unnecessary it nags at me until I fix it. I have a bunch of presets with just like 4 or 5 blocks (including IN/OUT)

I know extra cables use CPU, but moving blocks around to insert another one between two others is annoying. That's especially true when the connections between them aren't always maintained. Net is that there's a benefit to leaving empty spaces for future expansion.
Except when ALL the shunts ARE there, you can just slide a vertical row with your wanted block in it to any spot and it will move all he others out of the way and "everything" stays connected.

I’m an ex-programmer, and saving clock cycles has been a constant companion for years. Shunts are required occasionally but if they’re not necessary I eschew them.
I'm an ex-programmer, and consuming a few clock cycles for convenience/aesthetics has been a constant companion...
I'm a still-working programmer, and nothing is more important to me than clarity and sanity. The more complex the situation, the more desirable that gets to be.

There are a lot more tomorrows than todays. Anything that makes your code, or presets (or rig wiring, yada) easier to work with when you come back to them in six months (or two years, or five) is gold.

If for you that's a sparse grid, or a packed grid, have at it. Of course if you're up against a performance wall, you do what you gotta do, but that's never my first priority until proven relevant.

See below for my preferred grid layout. Simply because it fits the hardware screen without having to scroll.

View attachment 92704
I like it!

Except when ALL the shunts ARE there, you can just slide a vertical row with your wanted block in it to any spot and it will move all he others out of the way and "everything" stays connected.
Mostly, unless there are parallel paths in the grid and the block being moved is across that parallel section, then the links might not survive. That behavior exists in all three of the modelers.

Mostly, unless there are parallel paths in the grid and the block being moved is across that parallel section, then the links might not survive. That behavior exists in all three of the modelers.
I never have more than one row so for me it works always but you correct. My presets are simplistic........

Back
Top Bottom