Am I alone in keeping the Ultra????

I thought about selling it and listed it for a fair price i believe. 1.5K than the same vultures who would have killed for a 1.5K axe ultra 2 month ago told me that its not really worth it and the new one is so much better BUT they would do me a favor and take it off my hands for 1.2K :) Freakin bottomfeeders . Decided to keep it and if i want the new one than i have 2. Who cares. Using only 25% of the ultra anyway.

I love my Ultra. I have no plans to sell it. I'm sure the Ultra II is the cat's @$$, but I am thrilled with the tones and vibe of the Ultra. A little more cpu would be nice, and some additional upgrades would at least be fair to those of us who plan to keep our Ultras. Every electronic thing ever made becomes passe' one there's a new kid in town.

I thought about selling it and listed it for a fair price i believe. 1.5K than the same vultures who would have killed for a 1.5K axe ultra 2 month ago told me that its not really worth it and the new one is so much better BUT they would do me a favor and take it off my hands for 1.2K :) Freakin bottomfeeders . Decided to keep it and if i want the new one than i have 2. Who cares. Using only 25% of the ultra anyway.

There comes a price point when selling gear where it is just worth more to keep even if it won't get a lot of use. Even with an Axe II I think I would be hard pressed to sell my ultra for less then 1500.

I'm running into that now with a peace of gear I got listed. I got a THD hotplate listed on Craigslist for 200$. I realize that is not a great price, but it is inline with what they typically go for used. And for me it is such a usefull tool that if I can't fetch that for it, I'm just going to keep it. Definately not letting it go for 150$

Last edited:
I'm using my Ultra for recording and an amp for noodling around. Unless I hear a significant change in recorded sound, I see no reason to get the new AxeFx. When the AxeFx III comes out with three-dimensional, mind-altering tones that can induce waves of nirvana I'll consider upgrading. Now there's the next step in modeling. (Either that or firmware update 12). :)

I'm keeping my standard....I would allow some time to transpire on the new hardware. Let FAS address any unexpected kinks first.

Hey, I still use my old Genesis 3!...just for brush ups before playing when my Axe is set up at church.
Too many times I have said.."I wish I never sold my...." Over 30+ years, a lot of gear passes through your hands.
Some become very valuable in the future.

I can't wait for the first post that reads I liked the tones of my Ultra better than the axefx II that'll be good for a 20 page thread...lol.

This will happen often. You will have the AII early adopters that MUST convince themselves and everyone else, that the AII is better by leaps and bounds because they need to A) justify the expense B) have the latest and greatest. Then there will be the guys who recently got an Ultra when the market was high and feel screwed so they'll want to justify the 1st gen model.

None of the folks in these 2 groups will make a rational comment in their arguments.

Then you'll have the remaining 20% of the thread participants that are sane and will say things like A) The AII does sound better in these areas... B) The Ultra sounds just as good in these areas C) I don't feel it was worth dumping the Ultra at a loss to buy an AII just for these features D) At only $200 more than the Ultra, the AII is an amazing value E) While the AII, has more, there is still nothing (besides the AII) than can touch the 1st gen units.

For the sake of $$, I do wish I sold my Ultra before the AII was announced. I don't have unlimited money to spend on gear and it's harder now, for me to get an AII. But the Ultra is the same box people were shitting themselves over, 2 weeks ago. So I'm good. I won't ever buy a Fractal device, new. I have to get bang for my buck and so I'll buy used everytime.

For now, I'm keeping my Ultra because I'm not ready to eat $300-$400. Maybe in the end, I'll regret it and eat even more. I don't know. But at that point, it becomes more valuable to me if I keep it, than if I sell it for nothing.

Anyway, maybe now I'll spend less time worrying about this piece of gear and just practice more.

Dave

This is where I am too. I have mine on ebay now, but with a pretty high price. If it sells, then sweet i'll do the Axe II. If no good offers come in, then i'll keep it and be happy. i don't take losses just to take losses ya know?

I'm in the same boat. When the Axe II is out of stock the thing will be on eBay for $2500 or more. You know that will happen. Then, the Ultras and Standards will go back up a bit.

I'm in the same boat. When the Axe II is out of stock the thing will be on eBay for $2500 or more. You know that will happen. Then, the Ultras and Standards will go back up a bit.
I disagree. GAS will dictate that the Ultra will have to be significantly cheaper to sell. Otherwise, people will save and/or wait for the AxeII. Think about before you bought. If the II was out then for $2300, what would the Ultra have to cost for you to even consider it? You would be pouring over the specs and reviews, and would have a hard time "settling" for an Ultra unless it was way cheaper. The difference between std and ultra was not that big and yeilded a $500 price difference. The difference between the Ultra and the II is much bigger. That will make much harder for GASers to get an Ultra.

Wouldn't surprize me a bit to see the Ultra at about $1599 and the standard around $1099 at some point through FAS. That hurts us who just bought!!!!

Oh well, My Ultra kicks ass and I will not even be considering a 2 for at least a year...Maybe more.

Wouldn't surprize me a bit to see the Ultra at about $1599 and the standard around $1099 at some point through FAS. That hurts us who just bought!!!!

Oh well, My Ultra kicks ass and I will not even be considering a 2 for at least a year...Maybe more.

Standards are currently $1299 and that's the closeout price. I'm betting once they're gone they're gone.

I disagree. GAS will dictate that the Ultra will have to be significantly cheaper to sell. Otherwise, people will save and/or wait for the AxeII. Think about before you bought. If the II was out then for $2300, what would the Ultra have to cost for you to even consider it? You would be pouring over the specs and reviews, and would have a hard time "settling" for an Ultra unless it was way cheaper. The difference between std and ultra was not that big and yeilded a $500 price difference. The difference between the Ultra and the II is much bigger. That will make much harder for GASers to get an Ultra.

I think you overestimate peoples patience.

I understand this is not an apples to apples comparison, however the standards have been selling close to new price all the while the ultra was out.

Now I don't expect the standard or ultra will ever go back as high as they were (and I don't think CudBucket was suggesting that either), but I do think once this initial flood of the market is done and the Axe II is released (and subsequently goes out of stock almost immediately), I expect the the Ultra and Standard will come back up slightly in price.

Again, not to what they where two weeks ago, but I suspect they will go back up a little bit when the market has cleared the initial flood of standards and ultra's and the Axe II goes out of stock (3 minutes after it becomes available)

i hope it's longer than 3 minutes of availablity. I might just buy one...cuss at myself for spending money that i shouldn't,....and then sell my Ultra for too cheap on ebay to split the difference....then in like 6 months forget i ever made the stupid mistake out of pure joy of axe II - dom. haha

i hope it's longer than 3 minutes of availablity. I might just buy one...cuss at myself for spending money that i shouldn't,....and then sell my Ultra for too cheap on ebay to split the difference....then in like 6 months forget i ever made the stupid mistake out of pure joy of axe II - dom. haha

My feelings exactly.

I am still discovering the potential of my Ultra after only having it 3 months. maybe in 3 years fiddling with it will i have the know how like some senior members around here, and by the time i have reached the full potential of the ultra at that point, and only if then, I am needing more horsepower/features...the AFX2 will be the next logical step...odds are I'll waffle about upgrading as i did when initially buying the Ultra, pull the trigger then in 3 months the AFX3 will be out; and alas the cycle continues. Meanwhile peoples houses are being ripped apart by tornadoes, towns flooded, towns almost obliterated by forest fires as happened in a town in northern Alberta etc...

all considered...I'm giving my head a shake and trying to be content with what i've got: a kick ass Ultra. oh and food/water and shelter:)

Back
Top Bottom