Alto TS310 review

jefferski

Fractal Fanatic
Just picked up one of these about 10 days ago and have used it for two practices and a jam session at a local bar. I've been running an Atomic Reactor (their older model, not a CLR) powered by a Matrix GT800 which has done me well for a few years now, but I was looking to downsize from a 4U rack and ~35 lb cab, especially for practice where I don't need my wireless, or for quick gigs like this weekend where I didn't want to bring the rig. At 25 lbs I sure enjoyed loading to and from my car in one trip!

So far, I'm liking the Alto. The overall tone is full and balanced; if anything there's too much bass since it's a PA and not specifically designed for guitar, but that's easily compensated for and by the 2nd practice tonight I didn't notice it at all. It does feel very "present" or maybe stiff, but that makes sense. I'm also not playing through the Matrix, which may have a bit of compression in it as well. It reminds me of when I first got the AFX many years ago, some of the cleaner amps like Fenders often felt stiff to me so I would turn up one of the dynamics controls just a bit to soften the attack (which I don't need to do any more, and I think that particular parameter has been removed or renamed anyway...). It also may be because the Alto is brand new and needs to break in a bit (if that's even a thing?). It feels well-built, especially for such a lightweight cab; you wouldn't want to throw it around like you can some of the stage monitors I've used, but I'm also not afraid it's gonna fall apart.

I did a side by side shootout w/ my Atomic rig and was surprised how midrangy (almost nasal) the Atomic sounded in comparison, which I never noticed before (again, not the CLR). But the Alto was a bit too scooped sounding (and the only tone switch actually cuts even more of the mids) so I ran a line from Output 2 and tweaked the Global EQ to bump the mids, which will cut better in a mix. It sounded great by itself but we know how that goes... ;-). And I don't really notice the scooped sound anyway, only in contrast. I'm not trying to totally match the Atomic, but I want the tone and levels to be close enough to be compatible if I'm practicing with one and gigging with the other.

I haven't compared it to any of the other PA contenders, or any of the popular FR units (Matrix, CLR, Xitone, etc) so I can't say how it would hold up, but for $249 it looks like it's going to be a good purchase, and having 45 days to work with it is nice.

Hope this is helpful for anyone else considering.

Hi I got a reactor/atomic 18w and it is missing the docking station to put a amp simulator. I was wondering if I can get an atblank docking station or jget the diagrams to bridge the docking station so that the amp can work with the send/return

Hi I got a reactor/atomic 18w and it is missing the docking station to put a amp simulator. I was wondering if I can get an atblank docking station or jget the diagrams to bridge the docking station so that the amp can work with the send/return
Rather than highjack multiple threads that happen to mention Atomic Reactor cabs, maybe you should create a new thread?

Ok, sorry bout the highjacking, couldn't find a way of creating a new thread. I did a conversation instead, which also took me to a dead-end.

Back
Top Bottom