Alto TS212W, Yamaha DXR10 or Mackie 12BST???

goorguer

Hi guys,

I've been reading the forum lately in order to get an idea of which cabs and wedges are on the market for our axes. It's clear that I cannot go wrong with Xitone, RCF, CLR... safe bets for sure.
But I'm not on that market right now. I'm looking something about 400-450€.

After some research, I think I would go for one of the following speakers:

- Alto TS212 W:
https://www.thomann.de/intl/alto_ts...5IjoiZXMiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6MiwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOjJ9
Well known speaker for the budget. "W" model, with bluethooth

- Yamaha DXR10
https://www.thomann.de/intl/yamaha_...5IjoiZXMiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6MiwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOjJ9
Another well known speaker, often recommended on the forum too.
Smaller, so it's a great point for me, but I'm afraid about the performance of the 10" speaker. So should I go for a 10" yamaha or 12" on the other choices?

- Mackie Thump 12BST
https://www.thomann.de/intl/mackie_...5IjoiZXMiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6MiwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOjJ9
Really really curious on this one. Lot of features, integrated mixer, 6 specific speaker modes, EQ on each channel (so it can be finetuned if h/m/l are hyped), etc.
I've read really good reviews on other forums, but nothing here about it.

So, what do you think, guys... any advice from the tone gurus? :D

I know... I know... I should go for a Xitone... but unfortunatelly, that's not gonna happen :(

I've got a DXR10 and it's got plenty low end and LOUD. It does bedroom levels well too. I've heard more good things about them than the other two mentioned. From what I've read on the forum the 10" speakers work well with FRFR. My experience has been that DXR10 was noticibly better than the Alto TS210 and I don't have any experience with the TS212 but I wouldn't trade the DXR10 for an Alto. It's a really good medium budget speaker.

Based on reviews alone I would probably grab the DXR if a used CLR could not be had for around the same price. I have played through the Mackie Thump, Alto TS and the EV zlx which I own, While all of them will do the job all three of those are geared more for PA duty than monitoring.

Thank you, mates!!!
I've been looking for more reviews on Mackie Thumb, and while it seems pretty tweakeable, it doesn't seem a good choice for guitar modelers... too boomy and not so defined according to people comments.

I think I'll try to find a CLR mkI. I didn't take the CLR into account, so thaks for the recomendation ;)
If I cannot find a good deal, iI'll go for the DXR10.

I'm in a similar situation to yours.
I had a chance to play Mackie Thump 15A and I can't recommend it for guitar. For vocals it's very good tho. Haven't played 12 inch.
Yamaha DXR10 was awesome. Tiny, loud, present and surprising amount of bass. Compared to DXR12 there was not much of difference, but I only had chance to hear it in really small space. If anybody else has an advice, why to go for 10 or 12, please comment.
(At the moment I'm ordering DXR10, hoping it will be good in bigger space while playing with the band.)

I'd read that the DXR12 puts out a lot of low end that you end up having to cut a bit more to get the boominess under control. With the DXR10 the boominess is easily tamed if it's a problem. Again, haven't experienced this just what I picked up doing research before I bought the DXR10.

It's done!!!

Since I was unable to find a CLR mk1 in Spain, I went for a Yamaha DXR10.
Wow, what a great piece of gear for the budget!!!
It's ridiculously loud, can manage low end really good for a 10" speaker, the contour control and HP filter do the work perfectly.

As stated on other threads, some hum was present when using it with TS cables... but when using XLR is absolutely quiet. And I mean, ABSOLUTELY quiet.

Regarding the tone, I play fusion mainly. Clean tones are really fat and crystal clear with the DXR10, full of low end and body, and no noticeably compression from the power amp.
With distorted tones, there is no hiss or hyped highs.
It's really easy to get round and warm tones from the first moment, no wasted time tweaking

I'm really happy with it, so thanks a lot for your recommendations, guys!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom