Alternatives to EMG's 81/85 in ESP Guitar

Ah yeah I was looking at the Fishman Fluence. Do they have the same variety the Devin Townsend ones do? Yeah I'll do some research. But it can be a bit overwhelming shopping for new pickups 😅. Thanks for your advice!

I finally got my installed today. Man, what a difference between them and the stock Duncan Custom I had on that guitar. It was actually a cheapo Duncan/Ibanez Custom which was medium output. After playing for a few minutes, I realized how perfect they are. I couldn’t figure out if I wanted to go active or stick with passives, so this is the best of both worlds. There’s a big enough difference between the Active/Classic settings that when I’m layering guitars, I can just switch settings and get enough of a difference that I won’t feel the need to change guitars or even amps.

The neck pickup is ridiculous. In every setting, active, classic or split coil + classic, it sounds GREAT with cleans. I have an Eric Johnson Clean preset I made a while back with my Strat, with the Fishman’s, it’ll break up when I’m in Active mode and then have different voices of chime-y in the Classic and Split. It’s taken a very one dimensional guitar and essentially turned it into 3.

Going to have to change a lot of my main presets as these push the gain through the roof. The cool thing is that I went to my JP2C+ preset, dialed back the overdrive a few notches, cut back the High Treble and Treble, turned up the Presence just a skootch and it was PERFECT. Better than I’ve gotten it to sound yet.

I watched Matt Heafy’s vid about Fishman’s the other day and he said something that came off very snake-oily to me; he said when he changed pickups it finally felt like he was playing in time with the band. Obviously, he’s released a ton of records playing very much in time, so I blew it off. However, doing the tight chugga stuff, there’s no flub filling in between the chugs. It’s not a palm mute thing, it’s a tone thing. It makes total sense to me now.

The Fishman Fluence is the name for their entire active line of electric guitar pickups. They have the Moderns (which are going after EMG 81s) the Classics (which are going after your vintage PAF and Duncan JBs) and all the different signature models for different artists.

Cool! Thanks for the heads up.

I think I'm going to get a set of Bareknuckle The Aftermath set and also the Ragnarok set. Feeling these migh be what I'm after. Also intrigued about teh Bareknuckle Silos.

Note that the BKP Aftermath is really tight and surgical. They can be a little dry and lack some low end. Good technical detuned metal, but not their most versatile pickup by any means. So it depends what you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom