Alternatives to EMG's 81/85 in ESP Guitar

Grifthis

Hi everyone.

I'm just wondering if anyone had some advice and recommendations on pick-ups to replace the EMG 81 & 85 in my ESP Ltd MH-1000 Deluxe FR. I've popped what I'm looking for below. Any advice and recommendations would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Looking to get a set with similar output but more of a dynamic and tonal range. A set with punch but I can still get tonal variety when rolling back the volume knob on my guitar and switching pick-up positions.

Many thanks, Charlie

Maybe the EMG 57/66 set? They're supposed to be more versatile while still retaining some of the EMG edge. I just got the same guitar a couple of weeks ago because I wanted to try the EMGs to see how they compare to the SD Blackouts that I have in a Schecter. I like the tone of the Blackouts way better for distortion but when double tracked with the EMGs it sounds massive. I'm not a big fan of the 81 tone on its own though so I just ordered another guitar with the 57/66 set so next week I'll be able to compare them.

Maybe Fishman Fluence?

I got the Devin Townsend set getting delivered today. There's 3 settings: High output/traditional active, classic (non-active sounding, less output) and split-coil + classic.

I figure between those three settings, I can cover a lot of ground. There's a ton of demos out there. From what I can tell, they're slightly tamed in the highs/upper mids in their full on active mode, which is great because that's the exact range I get anal about.

Hopefully, I get them installed tonight and I can make up a little demo if you're looking for something specific.

Maybe the EMG 57/66 set? They're supposed to be more versatile while still retaining some of the EMG edge. I just got the same guitar a couple of weeks ago because I wanted to try the EMGs to see how they compare to the SD Blackouts that I have in a Schecter. I like the tone of the Blackouts way better for distortion but when double tracked with the EMGs it sounds massive. I'm not a big fan of the 81 tone on its own though so I just ordered another guitar with the 57/66 set so next week I'll be able to compare them.

Cool! Thanks for your advice. I'll check them out. Any passive pick up recommendations that might do the job?

Maybe Fishman Fluence?

I got the Devin Townsend set getting delivered today. There's 3 settings: High output/traditional active, classic (non-active sounding, less output) and split-coil + classic.

I figure between those three settings, I can cover a lot of ground. There's a ton of demos out there. From what I can tell, they're slightly tamed in the highs/upper mids in their full on active mode, which is great because that's the exact range I get anal about.

Hopefully, I get them installed tonight and I can make up a little demo if you're looking for something specific.
Ah yeah I was looking at the Fishman Fluence. Do they have the same variety the Devin Townsend ones do? Yeah I'll do some research. But it can be a bit overwhelming shopping for new pickups 😅. Thanks for your advice!

May be obvious and you may have tried it...but have you tried swapping the 85 into the bridge postion? I hate the 81 as a bridge pickup, but it's okay as a neck. I've found the 85 cleans up better and has a better low end. Should be an easy swap with the quick connect harness.

I also prefer the 85 in bridge, sounds a bit thicker to me. And the 81 in the neck has some good clean sounds. They might have quick connects for a relatively easy swap.

I also have a horizon with EMG 57/66 and I prefer them over the 85/81 set. A bit more versatile.

I also have a horizon with bareknuckle alnico nailbomb in the bridge and Seymour Duncan jazz neck. The passive and active horizon guitars can get similar sounds, I like the passives live and the actives for recording/studio.

Ah yeah I was looking at the Fishman Fluence. Do they have the same variety the Devin Townsend ones do? Yeah I'll do some research. But it can be a bit overwhelming shopping for new pickups 😅. Thanks for your advice!

Hahahahaha, speaking of that overwhelming issue, I don’t even know if Fluence is a certain type of pickup or it covers all their active humbuckers! I hadn’t thought about it until just now, I suppose I figure the whole time that they were the Fishman Fluence Devin Townsend pickups. ::shrugs::

But yeah, it‘s really overwhelming. I spent the last 6 months listening to all these pickup shootouts and planning on buying this or that set but then I’d change my mind because I’d be worried about this or that until I finally had a little bitch fit after my buddy wouldn’t lemme snag his Dimarzio Evolution to try out. My hissy fits often bring new gear, it’s how I got my bass and Superior Drummer 3 :tearsofjoy:, this time if was the pickups. They never showed up last night, so I’m hoping they’re in today.

If you want to go EMG route, I would recommend the HET SET. Fishmann - Tosin set. Passive - Black Winter (be aware if you go passive you have to change also the electronics).

May be obvious and you may have tried it...but have you tried swapping the 85 into the bridge postion? I hate the 81 as a bridge pickup, but it's okay as a neck. I've found the 85 cleans up better and has a better low end. Should be an easy swap with the quick connect harness.
Interesting! I've never thought of that. Might give it a go. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks a lot everyone for your input. I really appreciate. If it helps to know my style of playing, I play in a Metal band called Harbinger. You can check out the kind go style I play in the link below. But I'm also a keen prog rock and metal player and teach guitar so I play many styles often. But my forte is heavy rock and riff lead metal.

I use an Axe Fx II direct when playing live and at home I have it running into my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and to my Prosonus Eris 5 Active Monitors.

I was looking at the Seymour Duncans Alpha Omega set and also the Nazgul/Sentient set and Pegasus Sentient set since it seems they might be tailored more towards the progressive contempoary metal player. So lots of tonal variety and dynamics. And also Bareknuckle Silos, Aftermath and Ragnarok.

My music - https://youtu.be/AgWCn0klCGk

I'm a huge fan of the EMG Het Set. I switched to that from 81/60. The output is immense and they have so much character to them. I was so used to the 81/60 I didn't realize how sterile they sounded.

I'm a huge fan of the EMG Het Set. I switched to that from 81/60. The output is immense and they have so much character to them. I was so used to the 81/60 I didn't realize how sterile they sounded.
Cool! Thanks for the heads up.

I think I'm going to get a set of Bareknuckle The Aftermath set and also the Ragnarok set. Feeling these migh be what I'm after. Also intrigued about teh Bareknuckle Silos.

Hi everyone.

I'm just wondering if anyone had some advice and recommendations on pick-ups to replace the EMG 81 & 85 in my ESP Ltd MH-1000 Deluxe FR. I've popped what I'm looking for below. Any advice and recommendations would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Looking to get a set with similar output but more of a dynamic and tonal range. A set with punch but I can still get tonal variety when rolling back the volume knob on my guitar and switching pick-up positions.

Many thanks, Charlie
The EMG 57/66 set works great in my Les Paul. Nice punch, and respond well to the volume knob. I really like them - worth a shot IMHO.

Cool! Thanks for the heads up.

I think I'm going to get a set of Bareknuckle The Aftermath set and also the Ragnarok set. Feeling these migh be what I'm after. Also intrigued about teh Bareknuckle Silos.

I recently went from EMGs to Bareknuckles, and man are they clear and tight sounding, you're going to be incredibly happy with them if you're a metal player.

Hi everyone.

Many thanks, Charlie
I have a set of 81/85 in my Caparison and love them. Mean as hell sounding.

I'm looking for something like that too for my 7. I recently listened to a video @ Seymour Duncan comparing EMGs to the Dave Mustaine pickups. In the video the Duncans sounded clearer and had a wider tonal range. I don't know if they are still making them but I am looking for some...

Back
Top Bottom