Alternatives to Adobe

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
Hi all,
my daughter wanted to get anthem adobe suite and was stunned at the subscription only prices. So she asked me ‘is there a way to purchase the adobe suite outright?’. I confirmed it’s no longer possible, and tried to look for alternatives - so - I opened up google and tried to search for the following phrase;
Alternatives to Adobe
....and suddenly it’s like I had no internet...
...so back to another search... all working fine...
Try to search for ‘alternatives to adobe’ - nothing.

does anyone else get a similar result?

thanks
pauly

I think you might be better to search for alternatives to the individual components.

Such as GIMP as a replacement for Photoshop.

GIMP for photo editing
Inkscape for vector graphics
DaVinci Resolve for video
Blender for 3D modelling/rendering/compositing/effects

There's some pretty awesome open source software out there that's free to use.

Another option might be to find a used copy of an older version of Creative Suite (before they went to the subscription license crap). Won't have the latest bells and whistles of the current versions, but still very powerful software.

Problem with that is running into compatibility issues with 64 bit only OS’s running unsupported 32-bit applications.

But yeah the whole “get everyone for $10-20 a month” model pisses me off. Now Roland just pulled that crap with their new synth plugin. They wanna get in on the whole grind-yo-wallet scam now, too.

mr_fender Nailed it. I'm guessing this is on the Mac platform? Have several Mac's all older models as they do all I really need. The newest model I have is a 2015 and that's the only one I have 10.15 Catalina on. I have a legal educational Adobe suite CS6 on a 27" 2012 iMac that is my daily driver. Not really interested in multiple partitions just so I can run the newest OS yet run 10.14 to be able to use 32bit apps but I suppose at some point that will be the only option.

Many moons ago before Mac OSX there was an art program called TypeStyler. It did so many killer things that Adobe apps did but much easier and faster for making band flyers and such. Remember those? I can't think of the name at the moment but years before that there was an Adobe product that was very simular to TypeStyler. Could be thats how it came about. The app would crash and you would have to reinstall it to get it to work again but man it was tons of fun. Drawing vector shapes and adjusting them was a breeze. The company said for years there would be a Mac OSX version and after 10-12 years they finally did release the app but it was nothing like the original and much harder to use. Point being there comes a time when you just have to part ways and learn something new.

Depends on which part of the suite you need. I do mainly video, and DaVinci Resolve it's perfect for me. For 3D modeling and CAM, I use Rhino. Photoshop is still awesome but, you know, fuck Adobe. So GIMP it is.

I also ditched Microsoft Office and went with Open Office.

Back
Top Bottom