Alternating ("Ping Pong Pong Ping") Hello Delay

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
I decide today that I wanted to create an Alternating Ping-Pong Hello delay. I'm familiar with this effect from some "vintage" products.

In a Hello Delay, the echoes are heard in patterns that evoke the rhythm of the word "Hello".

For example, in a pattern based on 4/16th notes, echoes are heard on the last 16th note of every beat, and on every downbeat.

GPU Preview)  2020-08-15 16-35-24.png

In a Ping-Pong delay, echoes alternate left, right, left, right, and so on.

In an Alternating Ping-Pong (Ping-Pong/Pong-Ping?) echoes alternate Left-Right, then flip to Right-Left, and so on.

To create the Alternating Ping Pong Hello Delay, I turned to the Quad Series algorithm of the Multitap Delay block. There are almost certainly other ways to do this, but this just jumped into my mind as fairly easy. I set the parameters as follows and it works:

Axe-Edit III 2020-08-15 16-42-08.png

Let's look at why.

In the following diagram, each of the delay lines is color coded. 1=red, 2=orange, 3=green, 4=blue. In the Quad Series delay, the time/tempo settings are relative to the tap before (or in the case of delay 1, to the input/dry signal. The taps are in SERIES (thus the name). So, the settings shown above – 1/8 dot, 1/16, 1/8 dot, 1/16 – sound like this (each vertical line represents 1/16 note).

GPU Preview)  2020-08-15 16-46-25.png

I've set the pans as shown in the circles. I lowered the level of 3 and 4 just a bit for the desired effect.

Next, By setting the Feedback Send to tap 4, and the Feedback Return to Tap 1, the above pattern is made to repeat as shown below:

1597525935319.png

So that's the Alternating Ping Pong Hello Delay. I've inserted the block into a preset so you can try it easily. I added a few variants across the scenes. I hope you enjoy it.

--
M@

Attachments

• Alternating Ping-Pong Hello_20200815_171631.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 113
This is great! Was able to use it right away. Would love to see more "vintage" or unique uses of the FXIII's multi-delays. Thanks.

This is a super cool preset. And:

There are almost certainly other ways to do this, but this just jumped into my mind as fairly easy.
I've always enjoyed the many ways to solve riddles like these that the Fractal platforms allow!

Thanks for sharing the preset!

I decide today that I wanted to create an Alternating Ping-Pong Hello delay. I'm familiar with this effect from some "vintage" products.

In a Hello Delay, the echoes are heard in patterns that evoke the rhythm of the word "Hello".

For example, in a pattern based on 4/16th notes, echoes are heard on the last 16th note of every beat, and on every downbeat.

View attachment 71429

In a Ping-Pong delay, echoes alternate left, right, left, right, and so on.

So that's the Alternating Ping Pong Hello Delay. I've inserted the block into a preset so you can try it easily. I added a few variants across the scenes. I hope you enjoy it.

--
M@

Matt,

Wow, I was just going to do a quick test-drive of your preset, and danged if I wasn't still playing on it a couple hours later. The four included scenes are amazing, but adding in the pre-configured Drive block(s) (one or both together) provided some sonic goodness that just resonated. (figuratively and physically, lol). So, of course I setup three of the unused scenes with one or both of the included drive blocks turned on, as these sounds evoke creation.

Thanks for sharing this!

Cheers,

Lee

It’s now included in the latest set of factory presets for the FM3.

Back
Top Bottom