Alternate tunings, via the FM 3

pschwind

My friend showed me how he could use his Axe FX III to pull up an alternate tuning without adjusting the tuners of the guitar. With the click of a button on the software, he could change to an alternate tuning.

Is this possible on the FM3. If it's a quick explanation, please do. Or just point me to the page in the manual. I’m new to the FM3 and it’s awesome but the learning curve is steep.

Thanks!

Yes, use same as in AXFXII the Pitch block, inside you´ll find the "virtual Capo", adjust to taste (+, - , 1 equals a Semitone). Search in the forum the Fm3 capo is not able to run the same quality of algorythm as of the "big briother" but is still a good one

IF you don't have an hexaphonic pickup and a system to decode that signal you can't have "real" alternate tuning but only up and down tuning of all the strings. FM3 and Axe-Fx III can do this "Virtual capo" thing with great results in a live situation.

IF you don't have an hexaphonic pickup and a system to decode that signal you can't have "real" alternate tuning but only up and down tuning of all the strings. FM3 and Axe-Fx III can do this "Virtual capo" thing with great results in a live situation.
you are so right, VC ist only up or downtuning all of the strings acordingly to the desired value, no individual tuning per string possible, but I assume neither on the AXFXII

you are so right, VC ist only up or downtuning all of the strings acordingly to the desired value, no individual tuning per string possible, but I assume neither on the AXFXII
Thanks. Actually, I just like to tune down a half step sometimes so this should work fine for me. I guess that's not really an alternate tuning.

Might also look into the Variax guitars. They’re middling guitars, but depending on what you need to do, they’ll serve you well. I have to set my ego aside in my band and use the Variax - an otherwise boring guitar - because it does what I need it to do in terms of “switching guitars” and alternate tunings. I got my acoustic, strat, LP, and tele all in one guitar, plus drop D and other tunings with the twist of a knob.

Otherwise, yes, the Virtual Capo is quite capable.

Might also look into the Variax guitars. They’re middling guitars, but depending on what you need to do, they’ll serve you well. I have to set my ego aside in my band and use the Variax - an otherwise boring guitar - because it does what I need it to do in terms of “switching guitars” and alternate tunings. I got my acoustic, strat, LP, and tele all in one guitar, plus drop D and other tunings with the twist of a knob.

Otherwise, yes, the Virtual Capo is quite capable.
It’s nice to find another JTVariax. 💪🤟 Not the best guitar but, sometimes, very useful

Back
Top Bottom