Already thinking add an H9 to FM3... Anyone have or other good options?

Actually I have heard great demos but it is always different when you play the thing with your sounds and fingers.... but luckily it will arrive Monday , so will start exploring how it sounds 😀👊🏼

I think he is looking for adjectives to describe differences.
Yeah I get it. It's like trying to explain the difference between immersive and 3-dimensional. I think the Eventide algorithms are most likely more complex? You can recreate the sound of an Eventide with a Fractal but you may need to use more than one block and/or routing option.

Aside from the new drive block in the AxeFx III, if you combine an FM3 & H9 I think you'd be able to do just about anything a III can do, maybe more.

I added an H9 after I started running out of CPU. I was still in AxeFxIII mode. You'll most likely never run out of CPU again if you add one. I'm mainly using it for Verbs, Delays. Since I can send a program change for each scene you can use it for a lot actually.

However, now that I've been using it for a while, I'm breaking my presets down. F. Ex. on the III I'd have a chorus and a flanger block but I rarely use the flanger. So on the 3 I have a preset designated for use of the flanger. So instead of thinking about a kitchen sink preset, have a basics preset then use other presets to add the flavors. I have basic (wah, amp/cab, delay, verb), then based off of that 1 or 2 for modulations 1 or 2 for delays etc.

exactly my experience with the rv-500 (coming from the III as well)

I've added an H9 into the send-return loop. I set it up as stereo and use it for the Delay and Reverb to free up CPU on the FM3. I also have it controlled via midi block and works great.

I've added an H9 into the send-return loop. I set it up as stereo and use it for the Delay and Reverb to free up CPU on the FM3. I also have it controlled via midi block and works great.

Would love to see a pic of your board and get an idea of the MIDI configuration (ie. how difficult to figure out?)

Would love to see a pic of your board and get an idea of the MIDI configuration (ie. how difficult to figure out?)

There's a great video from Leon regarding external pedal setup and he covers the H9. First upgrade your H9 to the latest firmware (optional), and set up your receive channel accordingly (different from the FM3) and set up the function you want to use. In my case, I'm using bypass and active CC controls. Connect the out midi on your FM3 to the input Midi on your H9. You also need to connect the H9 to the FM3 using IN2 and OUT2. I use both left and right since I want to maintain stereo effects. Then go to FM3-Edit and add a midi block. You can test your PC and CC commands from that block to set it up correctly. PC commands to select the H9 preset and CC commands to activate/bypass the H9. Lastly, make sure your OUT2 volume on top right is not shut off. I wasted an hour on figuring out that one.

1608392955788.png

Wow, that is a powerful rig!
I actually split my outputs so using Output 1 for FOH and output 2 cab sim off for power amp + cab (for now).
Even when FRFR backline I would normally have Output 1 FOH and output 2 to FRFR (set the COPY output 1 - output 2).
Wondering if something in the "loop" is still an option in those cases.

Wow, that is a powerful rig!
I actually split my outputs so using Output 1 for FOH and output 2 cab sim off for power amp + cab (for now).
Even when FRFR backline I would normally have Output 1 FOH and output 2 to FRFR (set the COPY output 1 - output 2).
Wondering if something in the "loop" is still an option in those cases.
Mono out 1 -> FOH & Backline. That frees up the fx loop. But, you are mono...

H9 would do much depending on which genre of music you do, I think. For those kind of rythms just
for power cords 'CHUGGing' only needs less than few scenes with an economy reverb,then no need H9.

If FM3's INs and OUTs are available as two monos,then H9 will shine more since it has pre- and post-
dual path,but FM3 does not. In my case,H9 sits in the loop of a mixer for harmonica and acoustic lines.
IMG_0499.JPG

I'm not an FM3 user, but currently run a III and previously ran an Ax8 with an H9 (actually 2). I have a number of thoughts on this:

With the Ax8 (and I would guess with the FM3), having that extra pedal can be just what is needed to free up some CPU to have a go-to kitchen sink preset without any compromises. I'll often devote heavy CPU load effects like extreme reverbs and multi-voiced harmonies to the h9.

With both the Ax8 and III, I like the freedom to grab a completely random effect that I hadn't planned on with a given preset when the moment calls. Almost all of the music I play have lots of moment of improvisation, and I definitely consider those changes in timbre to be within the improvisational realm.

The H9 algorithms sound/feel/program quite differently from Fractals, just as I don't expect any other brand to have a similar sound/response/UX. I find that Eventide algorithms can get pretty extreme without too much effort. Fractal patches can get equally extreme, but require some thoughtful programming (see any of Simeon's patches). I don't think that Eventide's algorithms can be as subtle though; while I can dial in some interesting reverbs with the H9, none will be my bread and butter reverb when I can use the Ax instead. In other words, my H9 is for the really obvious and over-the-top sounds. And once I settle on a patch on the H9, including parameters attached to the expression/hot knob, I don't have to work it into every new III patch I create.

Quick question :

can the Tap tempo of the H9 be controlled by midi by tapping only on the FM3 ?

I set it up the way Leon Todd did in his video and works like a charme.....:)

Hope someone can help 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Quick question :

can the Tap tempo of the H9 be controlled by midi by tapping only on the FM3 ?

I set it up the way Leon Todd did in his video and works like a charme.....:)

Hope someone can help 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼
this shows how to adjust the h9 "clock" to receive then you could use the tap setting in the FM3 and control both

This thread inspired me a bit - I’ve spent some time trying reverb on higher quality settings - and I really notice and prefer the difference.

Unfortunately for most of my presets, I can’t run these with the other sounds. So I’ve just got a Source Audio Ventris.

Sounds amazing and really opens up the CPU

Oh just to add, it’s inspired me to think about the FM3 as a center of a whole lot of effects - shame there aren’t control switch/midi mappings per preset

this shows how to adjust the h9 "clock" to receive then you could use the tap setting in the FM3 and control both

Unfortunately It does not work for me.....did all the 3 steps as shown in the video....:(

Perhaps something to be adjusted in the FM3 too.....

Unfortunately It does not work for me.....did all the 3 steps as shown in the video....:(

Perhaps something to be adjusted in the FM3 too.....
I have 2 h9's one bought new (works great) second bought used didn't work till I did a factory reset Maybe a H9 factory reset first then try the steps

Back
Top Bottom