Wish Allow scenes to control basic block parameters w/o needing to use a modifier & scene controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshriggsFM3

Inspired
tl;dr: Make basic block parameters like mix, output, tone, etc. recallable per scene without needing to use a modifier and scene controller.

I understand the reason behind modifiers and scene controllers: Since FM3 blocks can get so complex, it would be extremely resource heavy for scenes to be able to change any and all block parameters. For users that want to change their power amp type and speaker resonance curve per scene, this makes total sense.

But, is there a middle ground? Each block has basic paramaters that could benefit from scene recall, like tone, mix, output, etc. Here's a real world example:

For playing live, I use a preset per song, and scenes to change between all my tones. I need 3 or more delay settings per song. I usually have a spacey clean tone that might be 1/4 or dotted 8th, a basic lead tone with light delay, and maybe washed out lead with tons of delay and verb. On a previous amp modeler I owned, I could get all these different delay settings with one delay block by simply adjusting the time, mix, and feedback parameters per scene. I can do this currently with Scene Controller Modifiers, but I only get 4 per preset. Doing the above would use 3 of 4 available Scene Controllers, which doesn't leave any room to also modify, say, amp input gain, master volume, and reverb mix. I could use different channels for all my delay settings, but there is a lag when switching amp channels and other block channels at the same time. It requires more programming work and CPU to use 3-4 delay channels per preset, and frankly seems like overkill when all I want is different settings of the same delay.

The other thing about Modifiers is that they are extremely complex. There are certain things you wanna modify where you want that complexity and flexibility. When I want to simply adjust my reverb mix per scene, I don't care about curves and such. I just want the mix slightly different per scene. Allowing basic paramaters like mix to be saved per scene would make it so much easier.

So, here's an idea of what basic block parameters could be recallable per scene:

Amp: Input gain, input boost on/off, bass, middle, treble, output
Delay: Time, Mix, Feedback
Reverb: Time, Mix
Drive: Gain, Tone, Output

You get the point. Some blocks, like Plex Delay, would have to be limited to really basic parameters like Mix and Feedback because there are so many options, but I think it's still possible.

This seems relatively lightweight, but with a huge UX benefit.

Thoughts?

Are you familiar with Channels? Sounds like they would solve your challenges. Need 3 Delay settings, use 3 channels in one Delay block with the settings you want and select them in the scenes you need those settings.

Further, a single scene controller can be used as the source for many modifiers. You can use the min/max values of the individual modifier to control have that specific parameter is affected...

Also, scenes themselves have NO ability to affect any setting. They are used only to define block state: on/off and channel selection. This means adding your wish would be a completely new paradigm.

Hi, yes, I'm very familiar with channels and how they work. As I said in my post, having multiple channels just to switch between delay settings 1. Uses more CPU and causes larger gaps between scene changes (at least on my FM3), and 2. makes it more complex and difficult to keep track of.

Interesting idea about using 1 scene controller for multiple modifiers. Can you give a practical example of that?

I realize this is "a new paradigm" but isn't that what feature requests are for? 😁

i think he's just saying it's a major change, not lightweight.

using multiple channels does not use more CPU.

Hi, yes, I'm very familiar with channels and how they work. As I said in my post, having multiple channels just to switch between delay settings 1. Uses more CPU and causes larger gaps between scene changes (at least on my FM3), and 2. makes it more complex and difficult to keep track of.

Interesting idea about using 1 scene controller for multiple modifiers. Can you give a practical example of that?

I realize this is "a new paradigm" but isn't that what feature requests are for? 😁
The use of channels doesn't add any additional CPU. Only the active channel matters in that regard. It also requires very little extra programming. Simply copy one channel to another and change the small number of parameters.

The switching delay you are experiencing is (IMO) likely a short term growing pain with the FM3... It doesn't exist on the other Fractal devices (except for very, very brief audio dropout when changing amp channels that is frankly no different than changing channels on a real amp).

Definitely feel free to wish. That IS what the wish list is for... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom