Wish Allow for USB out volume control (Mac)

Arjan

Inspired
Currently, the USB drivers for the Axe-Fx III do not support setting the volume of the USB main out on the Mac. Using the keyboard volume controls doesn't work (you get a blocked icon). If would be really helpful to me to add this capability, since there is no other easy way to change the USB volume by simply turning a knob on the AxeFx.

I have found a workaround, by installing this app: https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

This app allows you to change the volume even if a device doesn't support it. But it would be nice if I wouldn't need a third-party app for this and that the Axe-Fx USB driver could handle this itself.

Currently, the USB drivers for the Axe-Fx III do not support setting the volume of the USB main out on the Mac. Using the keyboard volume controls doesn't work (you get a blocked icon). If would be really helpful to me to add this capability, since there is no other easy way to change the USB volume by simply turning a knob on the AxeFx.

I have found a workaround, by installing this app: https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

This app allows you to change the volume even if a device doesn't support it. But it would be nice if I wouldn't need a third-party app for this and that the Axe-Fx USB driver could handle this itself.
In Axe-Edit under Setup button (upper right corner of main UI) you can adjust the USB Input Levels...

Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 9.37.39 AM.png

From the front panel: HOME Button, "Setup" (knob E), NAV down to "I/O", PAGE Right twice to "USB/AES"

In Axe-Edit under Setup button (upper right corner of main UI) you can adjust the USB Input Levels...

View attachment 58127

From the front panel: HOME Button, "Setup" (knob E), NAV down to "I/O", PAGE Right twice to "USB/AES"
Yes, I know about that setting.

My point is that if sound is suddenly loud or if you want to change the computer sound volume while playing to a backing track, you don’t want to have to dive into menus. You simply want to quickly control the volume. Normally you can easily do this with the volume keys on the keyboard, but the Axe-Fx doesn’t support this.

I do not think there can be a better solution than what the OP mentioned ...

www.rogueamoeba.com apps Soundsource and and Loopback as well as audio hijack are all indispensible in controlling volumes and routings on Mac.
EDIT.....in case you are interested in these products I just received notice that they are all 16% off with code CATALINA ....all are ready for the new OS, even if everyone. else isnt.......( I have no affiliation with them)

Last edited:
Can't you put whatever control knob you need right on the performance screen and have a dedicated knob for it?

Bump. I would love this added functionality. I use my Axe III as my audio interface even for listening to music. Be able to control the USB volume by be able to assign USB volume to one of the Output Levels would be stellar.

This would be nice but right now I wish Axe FX would just work over USB. Mine will work and then all of a sudden just stop working and I have to reboot my computer and Axe to get the USB sound to work again.

Back
Top Bottom